Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Movie?
    Blast from the past.
    Weakest points, quite a few.
    But it has a few hidden tidbits that make it well worth watching.

From an ideas/practical side, the old British comedy “The Good Life” aka “Good Neighbors” in the US
    is full of ideas and concepts that make it well worth watching. The fact that it’s funny helps.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well it’s not a movie but The Walking Dead is actually pretty good for most scenarios minus the zombies. Food, water, shelter, security, health, transportation, group dynamics, hostile groups, crazies, & LE issues. Weakest point is the zombies. But all we need is a new strain of rabies and we’re off to the races. The screen writers must have read a lot of teotwawki material.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Boy there are so many good ones tho.

Book Of Eli.

Sounds morbid, but my favorite part was in the beginning of the movie when Eli warns the bandit not to touch him again and then cuts his hand off. Took me a while but I figured out that sword technique, its all in the wrist, a razor sharp edge, and the surprise he didn’t see coming, (its more of a sword parry technique that starts in a scabbard). Eli is a great example of an ethical warrior struggling with how to conduct his life in hell on earth.

The character also demonstrates economy of motion. Cats, especially big cats, move with purpose, never expel any energy, until !BAM! Speed and technique come out, then right back to being relaxed.

Weak points, well obviously even tho Eli is trained well, no one so much as throws a rock at him, and I expect if SHTF on that level there will be very few bandit groups preforming direct ambushes, instead they will probably go to full on, un manned traps/booby traps etc.

Carnegie is also a great example of a person who knows how to use two power bases, be it un ethically. Coercion, which on its own would have never worked, and knowledge power. If SHTF you absolutely will run into these types, regardless of whether the government is functioning or not.

My second fav is 28 days later. Ebola rabies for the win.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of legatelanius
    legatelanius
    Survivalist
    member2

The Road.

Brutal, realistic, and horribly graphic.

Also, the book is great.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am a Walking Dead every Sunday Watcher like 74, I do get some great ideas from the show.

Profile photo of legatelanius
    legatelanius
    Survivalist
    member2

Another one I love is Mad Max. Despite its unrealistic comic book violence, I love the fashion choices of the bandits. Leather armor and chaps for everyone!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

My favorite all time series is BBC Survivors. Its massively long and it has a more recent spinoff. I like the characters. It wasn’t cut short unlike Survivors 2.

Profile photo of ValleyGal
    ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

The Road, The Stand, Book of Eli, On The Beach, Contagion. All of these are grim & disturbing. None nearly as much as the Road, for as much as humans tried to survive, mother earth gave up……so it was a lose lose situation. The BBC discussed a recent report just yesterday on the volunteer resolve & kindness of people toward total strangers; the most giving nation in the world….it was the USA. The books mentioned above certainly dispel the notion of our humanity in desperate catastrophic situations. A few show a glimmer of hope. Certainly a lot of the Tylers of the world, such as the jerk on Doomsday Preppers, show that bad guys will abound. However all of these have helped me glean tidbits of helpful information for my continued preparedness planning. Actually, the best reading materials were the documents my father brought home on the gov’t plans to rebuild the United States after a nuclear event. These were materials from the 50’s & 60’s & scared the Bejesus out of me. He helped to coordinate plans that led to our Interstate road system, development of FEMA, etc. A big issue was how to continue the U.S. Mail postal system. Of course, he would have been horrified to know I was sneaking his publications. I will never forget the Bay of Pigs events & his starting to bring home flood, H2O, guns/ammo, etc, & my mom with seven kids saying years later that it was all for naught, as we lived 20 miles outside of DC. BOOM

"When opportunity knocks......
    some people object to the noise"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m more a book reader than a movie person but I think “The Day After” from back in 1983 was the one that made the most impact on me. This was a nuclear war scenario in the Midwest. It was very realistically done as I recall, and what impacted me was how things just steadily went down hill following the initial attack.

ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

YES, The Day After was very good and I’ve probably seen it 5-6 times. Also, THREADS, a British film but very hard to find a copy of. Since I am a fan of dystopian and post apocalyptic film and books, I am always looking for recommendations. Any of you please forward your LIKES to me.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

ValleyGal
    Medic
    member1

Where did you find Threads? I’ve looked for it for years. Nope I didn’t mention here . I’m a newbie member. Thanks for any info if you can find a link for me.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.