Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    This is close to what have in mind. I might have just added the rice and beans to your other 6lb load out. The other aspect for my personal use would be to double the quantities.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

deleted.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I’ve been watching these recent ‘ration’ posts with a degree of interest and confusion… So to confirm, you are proposing 6lbs of supplies is 5 days of rations for an adult male. Very cool if it is, but can you give us a breakdown of what is to be consumed and when over these 5 days? It does not look much like a breakfast, lunch , dinner menu (I have no problem with this, just want to figure how the supplies are meant to be consumed)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    For me it’s probably fine although I would add some sugars for fast recovery. I’m almost 60 so my work effort is reduced to shorter intervals of duration than a younger fitter person of my size. I’m no shlub but I am feeling my age. I wouldn’t want to bug out with only 5 days of food not knowing what the future may bring.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Toby C – I agree with you. I would not only starve to death on C’s rations, but more importantly, if I were on the move I couldn’t put together anything to eat quickly. Beans and lentils really need to soak before you can cook them (which takes a while) and rice isn’t fast either. If I were planning on lugging 6 pounds of food with me and bugging out it would be freeze dried and dehydrated food that is light weight, reconstitutes and can cook quickly. Plus…for me…actually make stuff I would want to eat. We use ‘em when we go on long trail rides ( 7/10 days)

Something like:
    freeze dried/dehydrated potatoes, rice,eggs, milk powder, beef, chicken , apples, almonds, ghee and small spice/dried veg packs plus powdered drink energy mixes

Heck you can get 7 days worth of freeze-dried ready made meals you can make in minutes by just adding hot water – weight about 6-10 pounds depending on what it is, eat something edible, make it quickly without having to have much of a fire to draw attention to yourself.

But that’d be me.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Indeed. A group I recently took out on a 5 day mountain trip had these:

http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/Base-Camp-2400-Kcal/

5 days worth of food for 6.9lbs. Weight can be shaved by stripping down packaging. That said I’m curious to hear C;s comments on how these rations described work for her, especially in regard to preparation times/methods etc.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Rations like this are good for survival situations where you are not on the ‘run’ and are able to take the time to prepare and cook the meal(s).
    Problems occur when you don’t have the time, materials or energy to prepare these into a palatable meal.

More than once I’ve stumbled into camp, figuratively and literally, choked down a can of spaghettio’s or stew without even heating them. No time spent making a fire, soaking anything, etc. I may not be accessing my bodies fats, but I have something in my gut which means I will be able to sleep.

Eating certain foods raw, such as butter or coconut oil/creme, tends to gag many people.
    Me, I can’t eat fat. Just can’t do it, never have been able to. Eating coconut paste or butter on their own, same effect.

As to the always recommended beans/legumes.
    For some of us, much depends on the preparation.
    Refried beans, great stuff, works with many meals and with just a few condiments on it’s own. No problems.
    Dried beans, a couple of days of these and Lord help anyone near me, they may not wish to survive.

Much also depends on where you are.
    Right now, I could leave butter in my pack outside and only have to worry about critters.
    But Freedom down in Florida would have rotting mush in no time.
    We have little easily found/eaten vegetation around here, but meat is fairly easy to get. Water is another matter entirely.
    Freedom has much easier access to water and plant life, not to mention protein from fish. Sorry to pick on you Freedom but the comparison is easy.

Personally, I’d rather pack along a selection of dehydrated/dried foods such as couscous, potato flakes and such made into impromptu shepherds pie and more ahead of time. Packing along a couple of cans of spaghettio’s and the like means instant food that can be eaten without preparation other than a can opener.

It’s all good information though, but personally I am always amused by all the calorie counting and comparisons with ‘survival’ foods, as though the calorie is the only consideration.
    Much like rabbit starvation from the lack of fats, one can have other issues on some survival rations, much depends on the length of the situation.

Good topics again.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh C – mushrooms/fungi? I would personally just starve to death. God bless you. Whirly and I could pack out well together. People are so different – it’s what makes life so wonderful!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirly hit an aspect of rations that can’t be ignored bringing up butter in hot weather. The durability of your rations and packing are an important consideration. Through the years I’ve destroyed a lot of food items being smashed from falling, miss handling, poor packing, rain, being sat on, etc. I like a few indestructible items like small cans of tuna or sardines to go along. Someone will complain about weight but I’d rather carry an extra 1/2 pound of tin than not eat because all my food was ruined when I fell crossing some little stream or another unforseen accident. Hardly anything is truly waterproof or smash proof and if it is, it has weight.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

You’re right 74 – that’s why I transitioned for the most part to using ghee instead of regular butter. It doesn’t need refrigeration – keep it closed up not in sunlight – last about 9 months for me. It’s just clarified butter, basically.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva,
    I could see bringing ghee, but if I had butter in hot weather I might stick it in the rice bag to get soaked up and cook it together as well.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.