Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey c,

The fastest way to get hunting and fishing chops is to do it.

Mammals are all pretty much laid out the same, with the same muscle groups in more-or-less the same places… but don’t expect to read a book on deer hunting and then think you can go perform at the level of an experienced woodsman. Like everything else, it takes practice…

You might want to enlist the help of either someone or something. Busting a 200+lb deer is awesome. Throwing his bleeding carcass over your shoulders in a fireman’s carry and humping 200+lbs of dead weight back to where you’re set up to skin and butcher him? Not so much awesome.

So, use your head. A wooden kid’s sled – the bigger 2 person model – works very well in the snow to hump the carcass back. This year, I forwent the truck and used our tractor. Hooked up a crude rope system to the suspension arm of a post-hole digger (left off the drill part), drove out into the field, hooked up Brother Deer, hoisted him off the ground and drove back to the barn… easy peasy Japaneasy…

Easiest way to fish that I know of is to use one of those automatic fishermen… spring loaded. You set it, chuck the baited hook in the water, then go do something else productive. If a fish hits the bait, it trips the spring and sets the hook. I think they even come with a bell on them to let you know you got a fish. Pull up your fish, reset the hook and spring and go back to doing whatever… lather, rinse, repeat…

A trotline is easy to set up if you’ve seen it done once… set your line, go do something else, come back and check it… or a fish weir… it’s a “trap” made up of sticks poked into the mud. Fish swim in, but can’t swim back out.

If you’re noticing a pattern, it’s because I like maximum return on investment. I hate sitting with a fishing pole, wasting time trying to coax a fish to bite the hook… just set a bunch of traps, then go do something else. Periodically check the traps and collect your fish…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Why be in a hurry moving around ? haste may kill you or get you captured ( both undesirable ) . Seriously , unless somebody is on your heals , take your time . Move ………..then stop , look , listen , and smell . Observe animal behavior , that may tip you off if somebody is near or getting near . Then move again , carefully , then repeat . You dont want to be breaking a sweat going from point A to point B . I understand that we may need to get out of an area quickly , but once your out of the immediate danger area …………slow down .

KOS ,
    I have a recipe for home made ” D ” rations . they are a high carb food with a good shelf life . They use oat flour , cocoa , and other things . Not bad tasting . You can order a plastic mold of the original WW2 bars if you were into that , but I found an ice tray works pretty good . It also gives you a more controlled amount . I will post it when I find where the heck I put it lol .

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well C – I have no idea what the heck I would be able to make to eat of what you would pack for the most part, even if I could forage greens. In winter might be rough around here greens wise. Ok so I could make a few things but God Bless you.

Never got in to the calorie counting/investigating food heavily. Nothing wrong with that and understand for many is critical. Thankfully, for now, I just try and listen to my body if it wants me to make a change or I get a craving for something. I know coconut oil is great but it isn’t native to where I live so …I don’t include in my diet anything that is not native to my area. Decided that long ago.

Doing the work I do now on the farm (a woman, 5’6″ and about 120 lbs) I need some serious calories or I drop weight fast like a rock.Winter I use fewer calories but not all that much. I am not a foodie by any means. I eat when I am hungry which is generally once a day. I don’t think about eating or food. My body tells me when it is hungry. Sometimes I don’t eat for a day or more and don’t realize it until I am abnormally hungry (ravenous) and realize how long it has been. Happens. I could eat the same thing every day with little problem.

Have a very basic diet of greens, onions, carrots, celery when I can get it, garlic, meat (no pork) and potatoes or barely or rice and lots of apples. Lots of apples. I love corn but limit it (if it is used to fatten pigs? – not good) I don’t like bread because it’s blah and it makes me crash. Rarely eat it. Don’t eat/like sweets (thank goodness). Don’t eat sugar because I don’t like sweet stuff by and large. Rarely use butter. Use Ghee. Eat lots of edible flowers, herbs and stuff as I am working in the gardens. Prefer distilled water. I can tolerate potatoes, the rice (unprocessed) and barely I grow but not breads. I eat a lot of potatoes. If I don’t eat the carbs with what I do to grow most of my own food and everything else I would weigh 80 pounds. That’s pre SHTF.

Each to his own. Every body is different. People have to realize that. But listening to your body is a must!

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

C- Yes – the whole subject of food has become crazy. The food and cooking shows people talk about amaze me. Recipes everywhere. This diet, that diet – geez. Enough to make your head spin. Oh I know you aren’t trying to convert anyone C – I am happy you have found what works best for your body, lifestyle and medical conditions.

I do know about the old ecotourism mentality a bit thanks to a friend a while ago. I figure the stuff was put here for a reason and as long as I am respectful, grateful and take only what I need it’s ok. Now of course I ‘give back’ and make some things ‘better’ by virtue of what I do – at least I think so…making land more ‘alive’/productive…conserving parts/wetlands etc, helping wild life.

Hmmm. The Swiss are so pretty wrapped people. I never would have guessed dog/cat eating was a large or pervasive tradition. Maybe it is most prevalent with older folks? I was never offered such in Switzerland at anyone’s home…never saw on a menu…but who knows. No idea if she will get much support…my concept of the Swiss is the less govt the better but who knows?

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Are the Swiss that bad off ???!!!!!!!!!! thats what 3rd worlders do , not civilized societies that are not in ruin . You also have to understand , every culture DOES have the right to make a moral judgment about food . Eating cat and dog is against almost all western societies beliefs , Asian societies are a different matter , yes it does count as rational . A societies values are indeed a rational argument , because everybody in the society is in agreement about the subject , which is why they exist in the first place .You could eat Sh*t to survive if you could bring yourself to it , but if not in that situation ………………would you ? and why ?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haid –

C, Thank you for this recommendation, just the author’s introduction is worth reading even if you don’t finish the book.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

3% of the Swiss voluntarily eat cats and dogs?

I smell something…

I seriously doubt this. In fact, I doubt it so much, I think it is an outright lie invented to further a political agenda (which has never happened in the history of mankind, since forever. /snark). Especially when one considers the source of the “fact”…

But, even if true, there’s this –> “”Around three percent of the Swiss secretly eat cat or dog,” said Tomi Tomek, founder and president of animal protection group SOS Chats Noiraigue.

If it’s secret, then how do you know about it? Or even if your figures are correct? Anyone can make up anything, then insist it’s “secret” to explain a distinct lack of proof.

And this –> “According to the Food Safety and Veterinary Office, you are not allowed to sell dog or cat meat but it is legal for people to eat their own animals.”

Okay, if it is illegal to sell dog or cat meat, then how do you explain this statement? –> “Cat appears on traditional Christmas menus in some areas of Switzerland. It is often cooked for the festive season in a similar way to rabbit – with white wine and garlic.”

This would qualify as “buying and selling dog and cat meat”. You can’t say something is illegal, then turn around and say it’s being sold openly – on restaurant menus.

The Swiss are some of the most law-abiding folks I know. Tiny country – limited resources – lots of people.. they have to be, just to have made it this far… I cannot imagine them flagrantly violating the law like that.

Considering the source and the wording on the petition, we have this –> “A petition with 16,000 signatures has been handed to the Swiss parliament, calling for the government to stop people eating “domestic animals”.

Question: Having seen über-greenies, anti-humanists and eco-whackjobs at work here in the US, who here thinks that the definition of “domestic animals” will stay the same?

Uh huh…

It is totally within the realm of possibility that they get to write the definition of “domestic animals” that people are forbidden to eat. And once passed, that definition will be incrementally increased in scope over time until it encompasses almost everything… I can hear the arguments now… “Can a rabbit be considered a “domestic animal” or a pet? Sure. What about livestock? Can someone have a “pet” cow? Sure.

It’s the same incremental nonsense that’s going on here in the US with regards to almost every traditional freedom we have ever enjoyed… I could cite examples to backstop this point, but in the interest of brevity, I’ll take a pass…

This “petition” is the camel’s nose under the tent. The Swiss would be wise not to pass it.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Deleted.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.