Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Certainly we don’t hear virtually anything in the US media about the Balkans, so I was more than a bit curious this morning upon seeing the following story:
    NATO invites Montenegro to join alliance, in a move as a blow to Russia

And then there was this:
    Serbian Patriarch threatens to use ‘force’ should Kosovo join UNESCO

So all of NATO is meeting, its head (Jens Stoltenberg) says, “This is a good day for Montenegro, for the western Balkans and for the whole alliance,” and he gets a big round of applause.

Meanwhile, “This sort of initiative has the real potential to bring about confrontation. It will not promote peace and stability in the Balkans nor in Europe in general,” Moscow said.

And nearby, we learn that the head of the Serbian Orthodox Church is threatening the use of FORCE if Kosovo joins the UN “cultural” agency, UNESCO? Disregarding the question of how the head of the Serbian Orthodox Church controls an Army, I found the final paragraph of that article at least a bit interesting when taken along side the Montenegro/NATO issue:

Turkey was the first country to recognize Kosovo as a sovereign state. 108 United Nations member countries including the US, UK, Germany and France recognize the newly founded Balkan state.

I am not even remotely an expert on Balkan history, geography, or politics. I just remember the stories of our US troops that had the often horrific experiences (that we almost never read about) in that region well over a decade ago, and about which our own Selco is probably the resident expert. But somehow this gives me the impression that the US/NATO is at it in yet another way to provoke Russia, with more super-power games going on (except that the United States is hardly in any position, militarily, to get involved in much of anything anymore.

Anybody have any more insight on what’s going on over in that region, and what dangers this might pose in the overall scheme of things? Just a little bitty local squabble or two, or potentially something much greater? To my untrained eye, the latter seems like more than a bit of a concern (as if we need yet another area heating up – again!). Thoughts?

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Insight?
    Probably not, but Selco in several places has mentioned the fractures that have remained since the Balkan war 20 years ago.

Is this a continuation of that conflict?
    It has to be considered.

NATO has a history of doing stupid things, with or without US leadership.
    Saber rattling? Low blow aimed at Moscow? Hard to say yet.

What will happen?
    Personally were I over there I would be checking my passport and finances, and cleaning my guns.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think part of what we are seeing is that NATO no longer makes sense in that its member countries are no longer aligned in terms of who is friend and who is enemy. No longer is it post-WWII US/Western Europe vs Soviet Union driving the perceived common threat. Islam has entered the mix in a big way and not all NATO members are friends of the “West”. NATO is a global disaster waiting to happen if certain member countries such as Turkey expect us to come to their defense at the same time they are trying to spread that which wants to destroy us (Islam).

The world does not need the Balkans going at it again.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I think we are getting closer to WWIII, look at this news article

Russia Picks Nuclear Allies For Imminent War With NATO

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/12/russia-picks-nuclear-allies-imminent-war-nato/

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Everywhere I look there is another article of a nuclear war coming our way, here is one more by a Democrat,
    Democrat Tulsi Gabbard Warns Obama Could Spark ‘Nuclear War’

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/tulsi-gabbad-clash-obama-nuclear-war/2015/12/01/id/704159/?ns_mail_uid=38634206&ns_mail_job=1644990_12022015&s=al&dkt_nbr=buf8c493

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I had an Uncle that was an aircraft mechanic in the USAAF in WW2 . His job was to repair downed salvageable aircraft behind enemy lines , then they would drop an air crew to fly it out . My mother gave me some of his old field reports that my dad had . One was in Yugoslavia , there were two downed B-24s , one was used for parts , the other was repaired . He and his group were being assisted by Yugo partizans , he said you had to watch yourself , so even back then it was a place of many factions . Makes interesting reading , I didnt know we did that . As for the B-24 ? that mission was a wash , they had to burn it , as the Germans caught wind of the activity .

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Few words directly and live from Balkan :)

In a one way nothing new happens in Balkans, bad things are happening here for years, just world media is not interested for that.
    On the other way, there are many countries here, each of those countries choosing the powerful ally hoping that it will be protected on that way when SHTF.
    For example Montenegro alone can be overrun basically with few brigades, other leading “regional military power” have couple of MIG21 airplanes etc etc.
    Big players are in game here, we are just way too small. Russia, Putin, NATO… And Islamic terrorist threat now, Turkey is so close…
    All things mentioned above like Kosovo problem and similar are problem here for decades, once again they just being pulled out in the reason of “heating” the atmosphere, preparing the ground for fight. Seen that before.

Point of everything is when tanks start to roll alliances are broken, small players are forgotten.
    I am not some strategic expert, and I like to think in “small circles” too. But I am definitely know and recognizes when things are starting to go bad.
    Yes folks, it make sense more then ever to be prepper now.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Thanks for your post. I think you are very close to were WWIII will start, this is my opinion. It will start in Turkey/Syria and grow all over the world. I believe there will be some nuclear weapons used. It does make sense to prepper now.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Everywhere I look there is another article of a nuclear war coming our way ….

That’ll sure do wonders for Obama’s big initiative on climate change and global warming!

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Thanks for the input, Selco. Stay safe.

GS

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Being of Serbian descent, let me provide a little historical perspective. In 1389 the combined forces of several Serbian noblemen fought a battle on the Kosovo plain against the army of the Ottoman empire. The battle was truly bloody and both armies suffered massive casualties but the Muslim Ottoman army prevailed.

Hence the Orthodox Serbs and the Muslims of Kosovo have battled off and on since then. For many Serbians the battle is not forgotten. Hence the Patriarch of the Serbian church threatening violence. Something that I find incredible coming from the head of a church.

I agree with Selco that the Balkans are a proxy for the big countries to jab at each other. The sad thing is that everyone was able to live together peacefully until the politicians got involved.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

The sad thing is that everyone was able to live together peacefully until the politicians got involved.

My, my …. Doesn’t that sound something like some other countries that have been propelled into the news in recent years? Jews used to live fairly peacefully in Iran (as did other non-Muslim religions), Syria is ooops – was – home to many different religions, etc. Let’s just outlaw politicians! (tongue only loosely in cheek)

Oh – and I had the same thought about the Patriarch. He’s going to use what army for that “force?” Or, is there a strong political influence as well there (certainly wouldn’t be the first church to also wield significant political power).

GS

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

The church does wield significant influence in Serbia. It’s the equivalent of the Pope whispering in the ear of the Premier of Italy.

I will vote for the outlawing of politicians. Maybe some regular folks could straighten things out. You know like balance the budget. My first thing would be to eliminate foreign aid until we got our debt paid down.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Along with eliminating foreign aid, we need to get our nose out of every corner of the world. Montenegro? Really? The same population as our own massive {choke} Oklahoma City? A place where the most significant religious leader can publicly threaten violence if another semi-recognized sovereign nation joins UNESCO (a supposed *cultural organization)? And we consider THAT worth provoking the Russians over, by bringing them into NATO (with the strong endorsement of Turkey, no less)?

* Is a UN cultural organization something like what the MAFIA stands for (Mothers’ and Fathers’ Italian Association)?

GS

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.