Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

What is the availability of ammo like in other countries (other than US)? I reload ammo but always keep my eye out for more quality 22LR. 22LR makes for good bartering too…always bring some back on return trip to Alaska.

CBS: 5/21/2014 ‘What’s behind the national ammo shortage?’

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-behind-the-national-ammunition-shortage/

American Rifleman: 12/17/2013 ‘Why We’ve Had an Ammunition Shortage’

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/why-weve-had-ammunition-shortage

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, I am finding that almost every ammo is back even in Walmart were I was at two days ago and they have many boxes of .223, .45, .40, 30-30, .410, but no 22LR. I have a lot of the .22LR but for the last 12 months have not found much.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I think a lot of the shortage was caused by panic initially. Add to that the volume of 556 ammo that was purchased in the past couple of years and it’s not hard to see why there was a shortage. Business is supply and demand so when you have an imbalance of demand for one particular round manufacturers start focusing on what makes the most money. They took most of their resources and put them towards making 556. That brought the other calibers to a grinding hault. Now that the frenzy has ebed they are making other calibers again. The government may not have caused the shortage directly but we are seeing an ever increasing militarization of all departments. Like the USDA sub gun request. Those guns will need ammo too so as government expands its army so will ammo purchases.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

There is a concerted effort by the government to reduce gun and related sales through the banking system denying access to funds, to companies in the gun business.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

That is true. I can’t remember what manufacturer it was but a few years back Bank of America would not give them a loan and asked them to bank elsewhere when they were first getting started. They took their business elsewhere and are now a major manufacturer. Geez it drives me nuts when I can’t remember a name.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Ok googled it. It was McMillan the stock manufacturer.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

22LR.

Let’s do the math.

Each manufacturer can make approximately 4 million rounds of 22 a day. 5 days a week, that’s 20 million a week per maker.

8416 Walmart stores. Divide it out, that’s 2376 rounds per week per Walmart store from one manufacturer. Or 475 rounds per day again per manufacturer

So triple that for the three factories manufacturing, Federal/CCI, Winchester and Remington.

That’s still only 1425 rounds per day for each Walmart store. That won’t begin to cover daily demands.

Now factor in backorders, other vendors such as Cabelas, Sheels, the various ammunition online vendors, the mom and pop stores, and you’ve really added to the demand.

As of November 2012, just after the election, two manufacturers admitted being backordered on ammo through mid-2015, and that was before Sandy Hook. It didn’t get any better.

Build more factories everyone cries, it takes on average 2-3 years to build a new factory and get it operational. For what generally amounts to a temporary shortage? The cost doesn’t outweigh the benefits, sorry to say.

Sorry to say, but we are the makers of our own problems.

Those that used to go in a nd buy a couple of 50 round boxes to plink, suddenly started buying bricks. Those that bought bricks, started getting cases. Those that saw others buying everything on the shelf, suddenly did the same when ammo hit the shelf again, and the problem ballooned as each person did the same.

It is supply and demand, right now we are demanding more than they can supply.

Manufacturers dropped many options just to make sure ammo was still being made. Machines have been running almost non-stop to keep up with demand. Now if only the gougers would stop falsely inflating the prices, they haven’t gone up to speak of from the manufacturer, it would be nice.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

No doubt. I bought 500 rds of 22lr for $21 yesterday. I remember buying 1000 for about $18 dollars in the not so distant past. Don’t get me started on hunting rounds for my deer rifle lol.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird between my son and I when we go to the range to shoot the two 22LR rifles we use a box of 500 in two hours of shooting. The 22LR is just not the same as a .223 or .308. At the range you can go though 22 LR so fast.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>
    No doubt. I bought 500 rds of 22lr for $21 yesterday. I remember buying 1000 for about $18 dollars in the not so distant past. Don’t get me started on hunting rounds for my deer rifle lol.

You’re telling me, being a gunsmith has it’s hazards.

Not having ammo is one.

Right now, anything unusual is tough to get. They aren’t retooling and setting up for odd or even semi common calibers until they get caught up with the “normal” ones.

The only reason I have ammo for testing some rounds is because I make my own and had a small stockpile before this all started, but even it’s dwindling with no replacements available

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I am starting to see 25-06 come back but it seems like only the stuff that is 35+ a box.

Profile photo of chris.alaska
    chris.alaska
    Survivalist
    member2

I’m in Alaska.  22lr is virtually impossible to get without knowing the shipment schedules for the various retail stores.  I haven’t seen a brick myself on a store shelf in over 18 months.

Most everything else seems to be available. Cases of 223 have been sitting on shelves, so the run on 223 appears to be over for now.  I also don’t see much of the bulk handgun calibers: 45, 9mm, 40.  You can get the 50 round boxes, but not much else.  When I shoot my 22 I chamber every round individually, rather than load an entire mag.  I shoot fewer rounds, but seem to have as much fun.

Went shooting at a friends house on Saturday.  We were shooting at exploding targets.  We were using a steel door as a back stop. The exploding targets blew a cantaloupe-sized hole through both sides of the door, FYI.  I was very surprised.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In Florida I am seeing everything except 22LR, I got 9mm 100 rounds for $21.95 at Wal-Mart last week.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Interesting. Thanks for feedback. I have 22LR coming in via UPS today-CCI Mini-Mag. A little here a little there…adds up.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The only problem with buying online is the haz-mat charge that most shipping companies impose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.