Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RROAMM
    RROAMM
    Survivalist
    member2

ran across this article, it gives some very good information on testing plants for edibleness.

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/universal-edibility-test.htm

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This link is to an article about a poisonous flower. I wouldn’t think anyone will find it in the wild and try eating it. I’m posting this because of the toxicity is so high. It is a plant your should know about for your safety and others.

Monkshood-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11213530/Gardener-died-after-brushing-past-poisonous-plant-in-millionaires-garden.html

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

some people do something called toxic gardening there is a specific name for it but it escapes me now. Near where i live they have a large one for anti dote preparation, beautiful but deadly.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Namelus,
    I can understand doing that. At one time we had Monkshood in a garden. My ex was big into exotics. It’s not worth the risk though in my mind.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks RROAMM. I printed that out for future reference.

74, I looked up Monkshood and now am wondering if I have any in my perennial beds. I don’t know what most of the flowers are and at this point in the year can’t remember exactly what everything even looks like. The photos do look somewhat familiar to me however so come summer I need to verify if I have some in my garden or not.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB, It’s important to know. You wouldn’t want anyone to get into it accidentally. It’s the only plant other than poison ivy & sumac I know of locally, that touching it could be problematic.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks RROAMM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.