Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

I have been pondering what is up with the weather as we have had some very unseasonal weather in Johannesburg lately. The month of August is still supposed to be winter with average max. temps of about 18C – 20C, yet this last two weeks have been very warm with an average of 25C +. The entire winter I can only recall one or two days that our minimum temps dropped into the negatives. As a whole we had a very moderate winter compared to previous years. Looking at the medium and long term forecasts it would seem as if though our winter is pretty much over, not that it actually ever arrived this year and we can get ready for a very warm and possibly dry spring and summer.

Our spring season officially starts in September, but this year I saw trees blooming in July!?!? Our raining season also only kicks off towards the end of September, beginning of October and yet just yesterday we had a typical Highveld thunderstorm.

I employed some of my google-fu and came across a few references of a “Godzilla” El-nino for 2015. https://www.google.co.za/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=6THTVO75O4Sp8wem6IDgDQ&gws_rd=ssl#q=el+nino+2015
    From what I can remember of previous El-nino’s we had a below average rainfall and very high temps.

So my questions are, how is the weather currently where all of you are? Is it on par with the season or our of the norm? Have you or are you going to do any additional or different preps to compensate for this?

[attachment file=”Untitled.jpg”]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pilgram,
    Our weather in the US midatlantic region was a bit different this spring early summer. It was very dry in June. The difference isn’t enough to be concerned about as a permanent change. What it is for me is an indicator of normal weather fluctuations that should be planned for in the future. The largest impact for me was on the garden.

I ran across an article about climate change a while ago centered on what John Christy was reporting. This is an excerpt:
    Dr. John Christy, director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama/Huntsville, testifies before the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works in 2012.

“The two largest impacts on temperature are the El Ninos in the Pacific as well as volcanic eruptions, which shade the Earth when they put the dust and smoke in the stratosphere. So once you account for both of those, there’s not a whole lot of warming in the planet,” Christy told CNSNews.com.

Good article about El Nino:

http://www.weather.com/news/climate/news/el-nino-outlook-strong-possible-may2015

“There’s also an increasing chance El Niño may become strong, perhaps the strongest since the 1997-1998 episode and, thus, may play a stronger role in your weather.”

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

yeah , a volcano goes off , things can change drastically , and does not recover for years .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Pilgrim, here in New England (further north up the Atlantic coast from where 74 is) the last two winters were colder than normal and lasted longer than normal, and with some areas getting more snow than normal. Last summer was cooler and dryer than normal. The summer before that was warmer than normal. This spring was dryer than normal followed by a much wetter than normal June and at this point we are about average for the year rainfall-wise. Temps this summer have been fairly normal. None of our weather these past couple years was beyond the range of what has historically been known for this region. In 2011 we had devastating floods here in Vermont from Tropical Storm Irene (what had been Hurricane Irene before it made landfall) but we experienced similar flooding in 1927, so what happened 4 years ago fell within cyclical norms. Over long periods of time climates do change but I think most departures from “normal” do fall within historical norms even if infrequent.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The trees are already turning here, it’s been in the low 40’s at night.
    We’re looking at a pretty hard winter, but hopefully with a decent snowfall to fill up the reservoirs and bring out snowpack up to normal.

Shouldn’t be as bad as some places, the mountains both protect and curse us here.
    Moisture levels are what we are most concerned with.
    No moisture, we’re gonna hurt. Farms and ranches that is.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

This past winter was pretty mild here in Texas. We usually have our coldest weather in February were it will get down in the mid 20’s at night and last for a few days. It did reach those temps here this winter but not as many times as usual. The Spring…….OMG it rained and rained and rained. I thought I was living in the pacific northwest. We got something like 40-50″ in the first three months of the year. This summer was slow getting started, staying in the 70’s until late May early June. Then good old August hit and it was like someone flipped a switch. We have spent most of the month with highs above 100 and 10000% humidity but that is normal here. The rain has tapered off considerably as well, with most areas having a burn ban due to dry conditions. It has truly been a roller coaster ride for weather this year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.