Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Prepped up my beeswax candle collection. From Amazon I got a 3 candle camping lantern, a Uco Chandelier. Its kind of nice for a somewhat larger tent and puts out a bit of heat. We have an extensive tent collection. Out shopping in walmart I also noticed a 100 hour parafin emergency lamp by sterno. Great for a bathroom in a power outage or anywhere, not that i anticipate any soon although it has been cold and a large snowstorm could arrive anytime. The Ny Juno monster bypassed us completely.
    Another item added was a white ballistic nylon military backpack to replace my outdated camo day back. The idea being to blend in a little better out in the woods while hiking and skiing. It has the three front outside pockets that make life easy. Its even large enough to put in a kevlar pad for bullet protection. Not that there are a lot of people out and about in this weather and the bears are all hibernating.

Profile photo of Gwyddone
    Gwyddone
    member2

Wow, beeswax is good! I ought to get some more, too.
    Any thoughts about using LED torches and lamps? I’ve seen quite a few lately. Oh, and I have to get some petroleum for our charming old lamp…

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

All are good ideas for light at night but Gwyddone remember that when the SHTF time hits you need to cover the windows so no one sees the lights inside the house. They will be looking for lights and the smell of food being cooked which when hungry food being cooked can be smelled for miles. Aluminum foil or news paper and tape to cover the windows. But also remember that in the day the covering of windows is also a sign of someone inside so be careful of that.

Gwyddone
    member2

Good points. We have shutters, and I keep some vinyl wallpaper, newspaper, dark cartons and wide tape (incidentally, I use them in my craft) close by. The smells are not this easy, given that my smell is so bad I can’t even taste properly (allergies and the medication likewise ruined it), so if I can’t smell it, others still might, and I use spices. Any ideas about that? Is it possible to mask the smell of cooking? I know that with herbs and spices, you can mask the pungent smell of dead bodies (tested it), but the other way around seems harder. Burning paper? Leafs?

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

First make sure you do all your cooking inside and when you do all windows and doors need to be closed. That should stop much of the smell. Do your cooking late at night if there is no light on the streets. In the day air out the house,it should not be that bad by then. Spices are hard to mask and if you try with burning paper or leafs they will see the fire or smell something and come just to see if there is food since they will be hungry. Hunger will make people do anything for food.

Make sure your windows and doors are sealed so the smell doesn’t go outside.

That is good that you have wallpaper, dark cartons is very good and the tape too.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

We canned elk and salsa this week…

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

chester, that is great.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>chester wrote:</div>We canned elk and salsa this week…

Must have been a very big jar.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

It’s been a while since I last came to this blog. Meanwhile, I have added another dozen chickens to my flock and they have begun laying their first eggs! That is so good. I have had the privilege of having my 95 year old mother and sister who has had repeated strokes, here for the winter. I will take them back home in spring. It has given me an idea of how it would work having them here permanently…much different than I had imagined it to be. Finally, I am convincing my mother that something bad could actually happen. She is beginning to understand it to some degree. My sister is all on board so there is no convincing there. So that is how my winter has gone. The garden continues to produce – kale, collard greens, cabbage, swiss chard, brussel sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. Everything else has died. The produce is enough to keep the chicks happy. That is why I planted it this winter. I need to see how much I need to plant in order to keep them in fresh food for their winter. We sneak some for us, too. Yum!! It is time to do some winter canning, but I am short on time this winter. Will get back in the swing when I take the family home.

Gwyddone
    member2

Got another bunny! This is the first one I will sorry to slaughter, if I have to – she is too pretty, unlike our others, even nicer and tamer than my angora rabbit. Bought supplies and prepared sewing kit for our BOBs, in small red boxes. Refreshed the canned stock, and finished making sausages. Salted a bit of bacon, and tasted the new ham.

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I decided this past week to become a Town official as a way of better integrating myself. Moving here after the kids were grown and gone and not working locally didn’t afford me the usual means by which you come to meet and know a wide spectrum of people. Having been here for 5 years I figured maybe I could get involved with Town affairs without raising the “outsider from Massachusetts” reaction. Everyone saw and liked the transformation of our property and slowly I’ve been able to develop a small circle of neighbors and others that know me. I saw that the Town needed a new Lister (Vermont-speak for Assessor) and already being at least acquainted with the other two Listers I stepped forward. For most of the year it is not a high activity board and so shouldn’t be especially onerous but it will widen my circle which is a good thing come SHTF. I’ll be appointed to start and then would be elected at next year’s Town Meeting.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I decided this past week to become a Town official as a way of better integrating myself. Moving here after the kids were grown and gone and not working locally didn’t afford me the usual means by which you come to meet and know a wide spectrum of people. Having been here for 5 years I figured maybe I could get involved with Town affairs without raising the “outsider from Massachusetts” reaction. Everyone saw and liked the transformation of our property and slowly I’ve been able to develop a small circle of neighbors and others that know me. I saw that the Town needed a new Lister (Vermont-speak for Assessor) and already being at least acquainted with the other two Listers I stepped forward. For most of the year it is not a high activity board and so shouldn’t be especially onerous but it will widen my circle which is a good thing come SHTF. I’ll be appointed to start and then would be elected at next year’s Town Meeting.

Here come the ‘revenooers’.

Congrats.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Can’t say that it’s prepping, but shutting the shop down.
    Working on selling off 25 years of accumulated junk.

The economic downturn in the area was the final straw.
    Much like MtB, going for a .gov job of one sort or another.
    A real paycheck, what a concept.

Going to focus on training as sideline business almost exclusively.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It a shame you have to do that. I closed my studio in October for the same reasons. I don’t expect to find a new job though, age discrimination is to prevalent.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Can’t say that it’s prepping, but shutting the shop down.
    Working on selling off 25 years of accumulated junk.

The economic downturn in the area was the final straw.
    Much like MtB, going for a .gov job of one sort or another.
    A real paycheck, what a concept.

Going to focus on training as sideline business almost exclusively.

Thats the kind of bo we all do eventually. The hard one. Get rid of the junk and try to sell the good stuff. We call it the disentanglement. In our case we’ve broken with the whole family and will leave them to their fate. Its not to likely we’ll ever see them again. Especially since when we leave we will be making it extremely hard for them to find us or have any communication. Its like escaping the mob. We start a new life, they continue to live in their cesspool. Bugout Extreme.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.