Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

The recent digging of a trench to divert water away from my garden in combination with a regrading of the garden space to deal with a couple low spots gave me a whole lot of stones to remove. I started just tossing them into the woods but there were so many that I switched to making piles just at the entrance to the woods. I thought that maybe it’ll attract some garter snakes that would be beneficial for my garden. This will give them a warm spot to bask on when the sun hits them. Not sure if it’ll work but nothing ventured nothing gained. Not much in the way of snakes here in VT which is good as I’m not a fan. A bit too far north/too cold for them. Garter snakes are the most common.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Went waterfowl hunting for the first time in 15 years with my husband. And his reloading friend who has never done it. New state, new regs, new experience…and we never went on our own before. Always had someone more experienced along to call, set decoys etc (I’m a wildlife artist and in the past would get invitations to hunt from wealthy clients, or guides who wanted some of my work.) Sooo, we learned a lot! Remembered what others had done before, and applied it to the present situation. Several trials, a few errors and some success. Harvested both Canadas and bluewing teal (small and fast) in the short early season. A new sense of confidence…

We have the blind until late season ends in February, so will continue to hunt and learn. It’s handicap accessible for my husband and our friend. Being in God’s outdoors, watching the stars fade and the sun come up, hearing the haunting cries of geese on the wing, and smelling the aroma of gunsmoke is healing to the soul.
    Some notes:
    Set out an egret confidence decoy off to the side of our goose and duck sets. Worked! In fact, the first hour, a live egret came squawking loud curses on its head, wheeled around right in front of our blind, and flew muttering and squawking back along the shore. So it obviously fooled the real thing, and the waterfowl who came later.
    Locals claimed that Canadas will not come in over top of decoys. Well, many DID. Myth busted…
    I had heard for years that waterfowl always land into the wind. Some came in ON the wind….Myth busted
    again.
    The teal landed among the goose decoys. Hmmm. Maybe waiting for an invitation from the teal decoys to join them. Interesting tidbit: We had to leave one morning, and our friend was hunting alone. Loaded for geese. Only tiny teal came in and he refrained from shooting so he wouldn’t demolish them. But the teal landed among the goose decoys, then swam over to the teal decoys. After a little teal talk, they left. Our consensus later was that the real ducks thought the decoys were downright unfriendly, not responding to their speech. Must learn “teal”…

If we were in a survival situation, the birds would have provided huge amounts of down and small feathers from the breasts and bellies. Good for quilts or coats. Have some great meat in the freezer for later. Great memories and more to come.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

I’m processing some wild mushrooms for winter:
    1. Clean off dirt.
    2. Simmer in butter and sea salt until tender.
    3. Cool before packaging into freezer bags.
    4. Stuff myself with mushrooms while working. Mmmmm.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Do you like pickled eggs?

Pickled eggs are not part of my heritage but I decided to try making them because at certain times of the year, our hens produce so many eggs, we can’t eat enough.

I looked around the internet for recipes for pickled eggs but I found using the “waste” pickle juice from my sour and sweet pickles tasted the best. It’s also really nice to have another use for the pickle juice. The pickled eggs on the left are yellow because of the turmeric in the sweet pickle juice.

Here’s the recipe for crock pickles and sweet pickles: http://eatkamloops.org/jarring-crock-pickles-and-making-sweet-pickles-photo-essay/.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Added lots of manure to the main garden beds – harvested last of some seeds to store. Planted more lettuce in the little greenhouse. Rotated some canned goods before adding more to it. Updated inventory records.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

I discovered this conversation while browsing the wealth of ideas on this site. What an excellent idea! I’m going to try to make a conscious effort to post my weekly prepping accomplishments here every Sunday.
    Week One: Purchased plastic storage boxes from Wal-Mart. Stenciled them to identify contents. Packed away some gear and loose MRE’s inside of them.
    Not a huge accomplishment, but positive momentum, regardless.

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Picked up a part-time job. Doesn’t really sound like prepping at first.

Couple of hours a week, but it’s a Range Master position for an indoor range.
    Combine that with the “turkey shoot” going on until Thanksgiving, its a means of getting the kids to shoot at targets seriously, improving their skills and also putting a couple of turkeys in the freezer for each category they win.
    It’s completely fair, they’re not the only ones who’ve competed so far either.
    Just the only ones in their ‘classes’.

Plus it gives me an opportunity to really dial in the .22 rifles and the handguns.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Organization is always a good thing. I pulled my old meat grinder and a pasta maker out of a box in the garage and moved them onto the shelving. A few weeks ago I put up more shelving. Anytime I find something I’ve had a long time but have it in a obscure location I move it into my prep area.
    Last week I sighted in my 6.5×55 Mauser using loads I made over 10 years ago. I have quite a few casex in .243 a sized and primed 12 years ago. I loaded them up and my son & I shot them on Friday. The primers on some of them must have absorbed moisture because we had a number of FTF’s. I loaded 200 or so 5.56 62gr steel cores at 2900 fps. and had 3″ groups at 200 yds with my C93.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Well, it wasn’t really this week, but I added another dozen chicks to my flock and they are growing like weeds and enjoying the new “hoop coop” where they are residing, right beside the big sisters’ hen house. When they are old enough, I hope to integrate them all together. Now they are getting acquainted through the fence. They will produce eggs if SHTF. Have begun to stock up on feed and chick treats and am growing mealy worms to give them protein.
    The garden is producing lots of peppers and tomatoes, kale and collard greens (for the chicks), and cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli, swiss chard and brussel sprouts.
    That’s about it!

Profile photo of Gwyddone
    Gwyddone
    member2

I reorganized my own non-edible stock, boxed the candles, checked the batteries, refilled the sweets and the medicines from vitamins to painkillers, and added some items to the first-aid kit, and – no joke- included rubbers. Repacked the BOB with my new gadgets, and refreshed my EDC.
    Reorganized my workbench, and reordered the dwindled supplies. Made an inventory of my products, and my tools.
    Added 3 new rabbits to the pen. Made a list of the stored edible items, and what needs to be refilled/acquired. Planned a new storage unit for the kitchen, and ordered the necessary wood panels.
    Went mad when everything accomplished got turned upside down with sis and I switching rooms and a broken water pipe downstairs.
    On another note, I started to work on my district’s plans. So next month, I will heroically battle with the chaos both in work and at home. I will also have to make notes from my CP education papers, and update the old ones. Yay.

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

You are doing good on the storage of tools and medicines. Do you have a well for water? and a good water filter?

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

You are a woman on a mission there Gwyddone. Good for you. I didn’t do any prepping this week but I did give over a full day for a gun rights rally, including talking to legislators. I also started buying beef from the farm across the way. They had started a beef herd a few years ago and just had the 1st one butchered. I also buy eggs from the same folks. To the extent they can sell their goods they will keep producing them, and that’ll help make my neighborhood all the more resilient.

Gwyddone
    member2

Freedom, we have a well for irrigation, and I have a small stock of water purification tablets and a few water filters, not really military grade. I’d need a real job to afford better. But I am now officially trained in the purification means, and I will stock up on medical grade pure carbon, according to CP, it is the best to use. And since I can start a fire pretty fast (I got a striker, waterproof matches, and several lighters), in the end, I can always boil it after a nice carbon straining. I am looking for tips to provide something like this in an EDC.

MountainBiker, I am jealous. We also had a neat supply of eggs, milk and meat, but as soon as the old lady died, her family couldn’t keep up without her, and now we only get straw and rabbit food from them. Pity, I really miss the fresh, not-skimmed milk. Now we buy from another place, but it is farther away, much more expensive, and I suspect they skim the milk, unless my butter/cheesemaking skills went downhill suddenly. Beef is important to get from a place you can trust. I also think the gun rights rally was important, too. I’d be more confident if I could use/get a gun, but I just got off the phone with one of my dad’s colleagues, and he promised to introduce me a few lighter weapons, unofficially, glasses be damned.:D

"just a little girl"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gwyddone Buy a hand well pump I have the Simmons 1160/PM500 No.2 Pitcher Pump it is $57.98 http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-1160-PM500-No-2-Pitcher/dp/B000DZKVEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422631950&sr=8-1&keywords=Hand+Well+Pump , if the electricity goes down you can still get water out of your well. One cheap water filter is the LifeStraw Family 1.0 Water Purifier cost is $66.99, only to be used for the water you drink.
    Purifies 18,000 liters/4755 gallons which is a good amount of water.

I know this cost money but they are the cheapest around and are needed if you do not have.

Gwyddone
    member2

Freedom, Thanks! Actually, LifeStraw is on my list. Problem is, quite embarrassingly, my monthly income now is not enough for one (especially with shipping). We have a lower quality, but still quite sturdy hand pump for the well, right next to an electrical one. I am planning to get a better one, along with several other items, but my family is not doing well these years, and 21,000 HUF+shipping+custom fees are too much for me right now. I really hope for a better job :( or that my jewelry business will bloom sooner or later.

"just a little girl"

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.