Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Amanda, I have not posted pictures but I will describe it. It was a breezeway that we used for storage of JUNK, JUNK, JUNK!!! It is about 14 feet wide and about 30 feet long. All it needed was ends put on it. We enclosed it with metal siding like the shop that is on one side. It was stuff that was scrounged. Almost everything in it is scrounged or garage saled, except for the Expedition 3 and Expedition 2 that we got at Costco a few years ago. Our neighbor gave us her old propane tank (about 250 gal.) so we have propane. I had an upright freezer. Some friends were moving out of the country so we were given an old, rusting small chest freezer, a small upright freezer and a full sized refrigerator from them. Score!! We had cabinets that we had removed from a demolition house that were put into usage. We tiled the countertop with leftover tile from tiling the floor of our house. The floor is concrete. My husband built me a series of metal shelving – again from scrounged material. We had an old metal table with a stainless steel top that my husband acquired at an auction. That is my work table. With all the pieces of odds and ends – a few things I haven’t mentioned – I was able to get a kitchen. I have a hot/cold running water sink – sink again was one sitting around outside. Where we got it, I don’t know! It was just there. On one end I have window openings in the wall that have no glass – only screens for ventilation.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the best part. Several years ago we bought Big Bertha, my wood cook stove. That is on the end with the windows and all we have to do is put in a chimney. I hope to learn to can on it because it may be all I have if SHTF. The propane will eventually get used up.

Previously, I have canned outside. I live in Texas where the sun is brutal and with the added heat of canning, it was pretty hard to do. I won’t can in the house because I don’t want to have to heat it up with canning, then pay to air condition it. That makes canning very expensive. When the wind would blow, often at 30-45 mph, I had a hard time keeping my flame under the canners consistent. Add rain on top of that, and canning was a challenge. I did it, but I am so blessed to now have a place that is under cover. No A/C, but that is OK. My garden is at my fingertips and I am one happy canner lady.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sounds like a really handy space and setup to have libbylindy!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’ve been mostly buying food/ supplies and sorting it away. But I Reloaded 750 9mm’s & 500 357’s. Bought a used Rossi M62 22 pump (just in case I need to go small game hunting and keep it legal). Bought a metal wardrobe for storing gear. Went into the woods at the top of the hill to check out the undergrowth. It was logged last fall and all the new sunlight made it like a jungle on the woods floor. I have to go trim a few paths across to the other side of the wood.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Today I bought a lot of baby food and assorted supplies. It had occurred to me that as well stocked as I am I had virtually nothing for the two grand daughters ( 4 months & 28 months) if they are able make their way to my place come a SHTF scenario. I was kind of like a deer caught in the headlights being I was somewhat overwhelmed with the choices but I resisted the urge to ask anyone for help and just started putting stuff in the cart. I never did that kind of shopping for my own kids, or if I did it was with a very specific list that my wife gave me. Next week I will buy more.

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Advanced 1st aid kit building, spent nearly $300 in the last week or so;
    – israeli bandages
    – occlusive chest seals
    – gauzes, sponges, bandages
    – quickclot trauma packs
    – general medical supplies
    – diagnostic instruments
    – minor surgery supplies
    – simple dentistry supplies
    – SAM splints
    – OTC meds for infection, fungus, itching, aches, burns, pain, fever, etc

A ways to go yet, but more capability than i had before.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Frozenthunderbot, Real good! That supplies are what many do not think about. I have a lot of it.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I am unpacking from my move. I found one of my brothers “surgical demo kits.” He worked in a factory that actually made most of the items used in a operating room. His job was to get orders from the company’s salesmen and make prototypes. Their “kits” were the type that carried everything for certain procedures. It is all in a folding sterile gauze with pockets. The kit is laid on the subject and unfolded.
    Think I will look into getting more such kits.
    Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

That is great to have Robin.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Wow, libbylindy, that sounds like the ultimate outdoor kitchen!! And here I was picturing a basic propane heating element and a few tables. I am so jealous, it’s my dream to have a setup like that some day! I’ve been toying with the idea of getting some type of shed that can be converted, but I’ll need to put a lot more research into it first.

And MountainBiker, that’s a fantastic idea to stock up on baby supplies! Most of the kids in our immediate group are toddlers and can eat adult foods, but just in case I put away a very basic supply of a couple of cans of powdered formula mix (not a great shelf life, but when it’s within a month of expiration I take it to a local women’s shelter to keep a fresh rotation), BPA-free bottles and nipples, diaper rash ointment, and baby powder. The baby powder and ointment can also be used by adults with any sort of heat rash, and if not used in a SHTF scenario the baby items are worth a lot as trading items.

Today I focused on stocking up on more dry items. A few weeks ago I finally ordered some gallon-sized bags and 300cc oxygen absorbers on Amazon to try it. Last night was my first “test run” using them, and now I want to kick myself for waiting so long to do it. Many thanks to Freedom, Whirlibird and Tweva for the excellent tips, ALL of my bags appear to have sealed successfully. I tried two each of elbow macaroni, Great Northern Beans, and rice. After checking them this morning they had the “vacuum seal” look to each package. Oh it’s ON now…

Does anyone here have experience sealing Rolled Oats? Any special tips you can provide? I like the fact that rolled oats have a dual use and can be cooked as-is or ground into flour.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Maybe I’m just me getting jumpy over the many trouble spots around the world, or perhaps its just that its turned cold (1st frost forecast for tonight) and I’m reminded that winter is coming but I am trying to get as many things done now because I can do it now, and to be very current on all maintenance items. Today we had both vehicles serviced, including putting new tires on my wife’s car. I got the septic tank emptied today even though I know I could have waited until next year. I made arrangements for a very large tree to be taken down in my front yard. It’s half dead and could have waited another year or more perhaps but its way too big for me to take down and so I figured just do it before it comes down in a storm in a way that would be problematic. I have enough wood for this coming winter but I am waiting on the delivery of wood for the following year. I recently bought lots of gardening supplies, enough for a couple years I think. I even washed the windows this past week so as to have them letting in maximum sunshine as we go into winter. On the 1st I have my annual eye appt. and will buy a new pair of glasses. A couple days ago I had a trench dug along the wood line to catch and divert water coming off the mountain so as to keep it out of my garden. It was too wet this past spring. He’ll be back next week to rototill and regrade the garden space for me. This is a 1/4 acre spot. I ordered a sun shade for the greenhouse today. I’m waiting on a guy to come do some chimney repairs for me on both chimneys and another guy to install some replacement snow stops on the roof.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yesterday I bought 50 pairs of heavy duty nitrle gloves, 4 pair of chemical splash googles and a Sawyer portable water filter that will filter 100,000 gallons. Today I bought carbon fiber arrows for my antique Fred Bear recurve. Also bought 500 62 grain green tips.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

mounted a camper in the bush, up on legs, covered in plastic, secured between several trees, cleaned up the surounding ground of fire debris, cached a supply of food and water, mapped out the back forty and cut a few paths out of the valley. phew… lots of work… but theres lots of wildlife, plenty of water supply {filter and treat}, this makes camp number three. … getting married next month so now i prep for my futer life… to my wonderfull woman who is in sync with a preppers life. i love you carolyn…you saved me from being a crazy old coot what lives up in them mountains. cheers all….

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Took a bit of time and loaded 100 rounds of #4 Buck for the kids 20ga.

Have a friend reflecting my arrows with feathers rather than the plastic vanes. I keep having issues with vanes throwing my aim off.

Hey 74, what weight?
    MInes a 45lb.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Hi 74, you have a Fred Bear recurve. That will never be an antique. They’re like old vintage wine. I’ve always had a bow since I was a kid, and started out shooting wood arrows. I’m not into the new bows but I like to shoot. They’re the ultimate quiet weapon in the woods. This is the time before the weather changes to get out for some practice. I’ve got a Ben Pearson hunter model about 45#.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This morning I fixed my small game rifle. A few weeks ago I bought a used Rossi slide action 22. Well there’s nothing like buying something only to find out it doesn’t work to get ya going. The gun ended up having several issues including not firing and the hammer would slip off the sear with no pressure on the hammer.

Turns out the hammer spring rod was bent, the trigger sear rubbed the 1/2 cock notch slowing down the hammer, the hammer sear was not cut deep enough, and the cam was to large keeping the sear from engaging. I had the gun disassembled and reassembled about 20 times before I had it all sorted out. Now I just need to test fire the gun and see if it hits the cartridge hard enough to fire.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.