Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hillbilly
    Hillbilly
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks Robin, I have a couple of microwave ovens and we have an old high rise TV antenna pole, aprox 24 ft. I planed on mounting a store bought antenna on that.Just need the cables.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Another type to check on is a “GMRS” type of handheld radio. The Chinese ones are actually cheaper than the Baofengs and you could use them now, no license required. They fall into a general public use spectrum like a CB radio uses.
    Without a repeater, look up that definition, the best way to use GMRS or Baofengs is a ring conversation (sometimes called a “Relay”) to pass information within a group in a geographic area. “A” tells “B” who tells “C” and etc.
    Robin

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1) Today was prepping the fields and gardens for spring day. Seeded the last of the property with Tillage Radish. Have been doing this for about 4 years. I mow short, broadcast spread and until a few hard frosts happen, fields are green as heck. They have deep roots, break up and aerate the soil, allow for better moisture penetration and best – as a cover crop – they rot in the soil over hard winter and you don’t have to till them under. I found a picture on my ext hard drive of one of the smaller radish from last year after the second light snow. Pulled it to show someone. See below

2) Installed solar LED lights in the hobby green house and worked with a friend to get the last of the framing for a home made high tunnel for the winter growing season I am going to try and heat some with a smallish outdoor wood furnace type deal with the pipes under the soil in the high tunnel.Hopefully in the next week we get the cover on it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The radish look great tweva. I am growing the tomatoes right now. They are doing good.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

This week I figured out why the tomatoes in my new greenhouse haven’t done well this summer. Its too hot in there for them. The other items I’ve been experimenting with seem fine…bell peppers, broccolli, chard, & strawberries. I have lights and outlets in there for current convenience but no powered exhaust fans being all of my preps assume no electricity. What I have for ventilation is two sets of louvers each on the east and west sides (one set low and the other set high), a ridge vent, a door that opens into the adjoining potting shed where I keep 4 windows open, plus the structure is a few inches off the ground with pressure treated wood flooring, with small spaces between the boards that allow some air to come in. Plenty of natural ventilation but the structure gets full sun all day. I also picked a crate of apples to set aside for the 1st batch of cider & vinegar that I will make in a couple weeks.

Last week I planted 3 blueberry bushes, 5 cranberry bushes, an elderberry bush, a 3rd plum tree, and 10 strawberry plants as part of my “keep planting different things to see what does well here” approach. I also bought various gardening supplies to use over the next few years.

Tomorrow I am going to go shopping for baby supplies….food, formula (if daughter were ill and couldn’t breast feed), diapers, and such. I have mountains of preps set aside, including for my son’s dog, but I don’t have anything for my daughter’s babies. It is far from assured that they’d be able to make it up to VT from NC, but I should be prepared for babies nonetheless.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

MB – I use solar exhaust fans on the gables of hobby greenhouse came with place (cement floor with water, electric, propane – but don’t use the electric or propane) and have the auto-openers filled with wax for 2 lower and 2 upper panels that I ‘set’ by how far I turn them.

Here I use shade cloth I clip over the outside on the aluminum channels all summer 70% in my case so they don’t get so stressed. I don’t care really for this greenhouse now that I have used it for years because it has a cement floor and can’t plant in the soil.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Not a prep but more a plan. I resolved that if we found ourselves in what appears to be a long term grid down situation that I would encourage the neighbors to save what gas they have for neighborhood farming equipment and such which they’ll come to learn is far more important than trying to maintain normalcy mowing the lawn and powering non-essentials in their home. I keep about 60 gallons on hand which I rotate through across a mowing season ( I use 2 to 3 gallons each time I mow). At the end of each season I add Stabil to the gas and I have not had any problems with stale gas over the years.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thank you tweva! I hadn’t thought about shade cloth. Where I worked, the cafeteria was a huge greenhouse of sorts which was great for winter solar gain but in the summer it had shade cloth on it which helped reduce the air conditioning costs.

I bought those auto openers too for the louvers, but have removed them until such point as I find louvers that are more rugged than the ones I bought. There was just a mismatch of some sort despite both coming from the same company (Hall). The auto openers seem to be of decent quality but the louvers are flimsy if you ask me. Come cold weather I will just manually shut the louvers at the end of each day. I wish I had running water but I cheaped out and didn’t spend the money to run a line out there. The line would have to be drained and blown out at the end of each season anyway which is easier said than done, especially using my no power available criteria. We used to have a sprinkler system and in ground pool at a former home and both required the underground lines be blown out before winter,and so I am familiar with the process.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

MB these are the vent openers I use.

This is the insulation I put up before winter to extend the season in side and start seeds earlier. The hobby greenhouse that came with has a pump, not faucets for the water (no hot of course), like I have in the fields.

Solar louver

Solar circulating fan is something like this but mine was cheaper.

This is the sort of high tunnel I am building now. I don’t like my round one.

In a former greenhouse with no running water I took a 55 gallon drum spray painted white, built a frame to hold it up in a corner with shelving below, drilled out and silicone caulked in a pvc spigot and attached a 6′ premade length of hose to it(I think was 5/8?). Filled it. Worked great.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Those vents and vent openers are heavier duty than what I have. The roof opening ones generally are but I wanted to avoid roof openings given how fierce the wind can be at times. I had visions of the wind catching an open louver and either damaging it or the greenhouse., and so I stuck with side wall louvers instead. Note that my structure is something I designed and had built. It is 16 X 16 with the southern half being the greenhouse and the northern half being the potting/storage shed. There is a door in the middle between the two spaces. The potting/storage shed part has 4 windows and an exterior door. It is 12″ tall in the center, 8″ on the outside. This is what I have:

http://www.greenhouse.com/item/halls-louver-window-poly/G25277/?srccode=GPGRH&gclid=CjwKEAjwp7WgBRCRxMCLx8mMnDMSJADncxS2Jtm5B-VmicNTQa3LJYPFJHYI1K8hiLqMghA_7vPBWhoC5y_w_wcB

And with the automatic openers that seem to be OK but that I removed on account the louvers are flimsy.

http://www.greenhouse.com/item/halls-automatic-louvre-control/G25276/

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Picked up some N95 masks, a few odds and ends for the kids BOBs and am going to look at possible BOL later this week. Have been slowly working on getting family members on board with having a secondary location to go to. Hopefully this place is what we are looking for.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Of course my canning kitchen is finished and in use now. What a blessing! It sits right beside the garden, so it is perfect. This past week we are putting the finishing touches on our new hoop coop. It will house the new baby chickens – 12 – that are now residing in the living room till they get big enough to handle the elements outside. The mama chicken that is so broody, was scheduled to be their mama, but she wanted nothing to do with it all, so now I am the Chicken Mama. Oh well, I am that anyway to the big girls so it is only an extension of my ongoing duties. Along with housing the chickens, it will serve as a greenhouse for my tender trees – lemon, lime, orange and avocado. Now we have a tarp over the top of the hoop coop for shade and weather protection, which will disappear in the winter and the entire structure will be covered with clear plastic to let in light and keep out the cold. As the trees mature, they will provide shade and we won’t need the summer cover. The entire structure – sides and top – is covered with chicken wire. It is only 12×16, so it is a tiny building, but it will do for a dozen chickens who just need a place to roost at night and a place to keep warm and dry and lay eggs and eat. It will do the job. Other than that, the chicks can go outside and play when they choose to do that. They have a chicken door between the yard and the hoop coop. My last baby chicks arrived in the mail this past week, so time is of the essence to get this coop done!

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

libbylindy, is there somewhere here you have posted pictures of your canning kitchen? I’d absolutely love to see it. I canned all day Saturday: dill pickles, pickled turnips with beets, and regular beets. The hubby came home from work early and promptly started gagging (he hates the smell of vinegar, and the pickles and turnips are just for me), so next year I’d like to set up something outside. Is it a propane setup?

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva, a question for you. What % screening do you use for your shade cloth? I went online and there are so many types available that it is hard to know what to buy. My primary use will be seed starts but then I will keep it full through the growing season with veggies & perhaps some herbs too.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Canning is one thing that I need to learn how to do. I was always the “fruit and veggie preparation kid” growing up so all I got to do was watch the final steps….. I did get good at peeling, cutting, pitting, etc…..

All I did this week in regards to prepping was get myself a new VHF/UHF HT radio. This one is unblocked so it will actually transmit on MURS/GMRS/FRS frequencies. I have been wanting one of these for a while and finally got one, so this was a HUGE score….. Also picked up a much better antenna for 2m/70cm as well.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.