Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Speaking of phones lately I figured most of us wouldn’t call 911 unless it was the last thing we could think of in an emergency. So out of curiosity i looked up survival hotline on the net. 1-800-991-3755

Of course if you have a sat phone and get caught in the apocalypse on vacation there is geosalliance.com They have S&R and medievac. Pretty much a world organization. Good for those times there is no cell coverage.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

FINALLY had a cover put on my pickup this week (the fold back, easily-removable variety). It’s solid, so a knife can’t just slice through it (not impressed with the heavy vinyl ones), and with the tailgate locked, it’s quite secure. Sure, anything can be gotten into, but it would take some work to get into this, and it would be highly visible if someone was trying. Nothing’s perfectly secure, but this is a pretty decent alternative. Finally I can carry passengers AND have a decent emergency/BO kit in the back at all times without sacrificing passenger leg room or seating space.

Now it’s time to build out that kit a bit more fully than what I’ve currently got. Toby’s article a couple of weeks ago will help. We had torrential rains yesterday, and I had to drive through some of the worst of it. At my destination, it wasn’t raining, so I popped down the tailgate and looked in – NO water anywhere except a tiny amount (not even 1/8 cup) in the very back corner – and nothing to even be the least bit concerned about, particularly with what beat against that new top and with the wind that was swirling around as I drove (one gust started to move me over into the next lane). Now I’ve got a great, relatively secure space for a variety of needs wherever I go.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

What I did this week:

I purchased a tiller – a Cub Cadet RT65 – and expanded the size of our potato plot by about 300%. Which was kind of a big deal, given the original plot size and the fact that that ground hasn’t been tilled in… ? Decades maybe. I ran over the whole thing – end to end – at least 3 times.

Also went down to the county extension. One of the few things hardly anyone knows about is that every year, you can get as many trees – saplings – as you want, whatever kind you want. They’re not “free” – since our taxes pay for the trees – but you put your name on the list, what kind of trees you want, how many, etc, and they give you a call when they come on. I scored 18 White Oaks and a whole slew of Bald Cypress.

White Oaks because I love that tree. Also because deer love White Oak acorns – hoping to plant a half a dozen or so in our lower field in hopes of attracting them come hunting season. The others will be planted as a future windbreak for the house. Hopefully, I just might live to see those oaks get big enough to do their job.. :)

I got the Bald Cypress because they love water and our pond has a great deal of runoff – instead of building some big, involved construction to minimize the erosion, I’m going the other way – plant some Bald Cypress to hold the soil, provide shade, etc…

Next up – mucking the horse poo out of the barn, scattering it – and fertilizer, some good soils and also compost – on the potato plot and till it all together. Hopefully, will plant our now-yearly run of Yukon Gold potatoes by mid month…

Oh, last week I got the pruning done on the fruit and nut trees. Lost two walnuts I’ve been trying to save. They’re gone. But the almonds are kicking butt, the apples are finally putting up flowers (meaning: this year they will finally provide us some fruit) and well, everyone else is still sleeping off the winter… give them time, they’ll wake up sooner or later..

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

GS,

Cool. Can you post up some pics of your cover? I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a cover for the back of the F250, but like you, I found that most stuff available today is just too chintzy to spend limited resources on.

Been thinking about getting with some of the local boat dealer guys. I know where I can get Sunforger waterproof/fire-resistant/UV-resistant canvas. Thick stuff. Have the boat guys make a cover for the bed of the Ford. They make wall tents out of Sunforger and that stuff lasts years and years… maybe some supports underneath, wrapped in that foam junk for rollbars and such…

Would be mucho interested in seeing images of your new cover…

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/hd/

these covers are top notch

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, I’ve got an RT65 too, though I’m not using it these days on account there’s a handyman in the neighborhood that comes with his big tractor/rototiller and does it for me real cheap. My garden is 75’X170′ and so having him do it is a real time saver. I doubled my seed potato purchase for this year too. It’ll be another couple weeks before they’re delivered though, plus I have to wait for things to dry up enough to be rototilled.

My son has a tonneau cover for his Nissan Titan. It was pretty pricey if I recall. I think it is a hard plastic sort of material. He doesn’t have a leaking problem. There are times having one would have come in handy for my F150 but I find myself hauling stuff too often and the cover would be in the way. Besides, nobody is going to steal anything I leave in the bed if I go into town and leave my purchases there while I go into different stores.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Malgus,

I don’t know what’s going on with the board tonight, but this is at least the 4th time I’ve posted this. The first two times it never showed up at all. The third time, I did a modification of the URL for the link, wondering if somehow that was the problem, and it posted fine, but even the link was automatically modified when it showed up on the Forum. So, I modified just the link again, and the entire post disappeared with no listing in the “Recent Replies” section showing that it had ever been there in the first place. This is my last try. I’m also going to PM it to you. Please let me now you receive it if it only comes through in the PM.

Go to the link below, and select the 2nd view option (of nine) – it’s a red F-150 with an animated bed cover that shows it being folded and unfolded. Then you can look at the other individual views to see various features, including the little fold-down handles in the back section that pull down to unlatch the back 1/3 section. You then fold the back section up on top of the middle 1/3 section, the fold those two up on the front section under the rear window. The entire assembly then clips to the front of the entire cover with nylon straps and black plastic clips that allow you to securely drive with the cover open (don’t try to drive with only the back 1/3 section open – there’s no way to secure it). Folding back and forth to open/close it can be done by a fairly small adult with little strength.

The entire cover, once folded all the way forward, can be detached with the two wing nuts under the front section (shown in one of the nine views on the web site below). I doubt it would take over five minutes, and would likely be a one-man job to get it off. Alignment should be easy, since the hold-down assemblies for the front and back 1/3 sections would still be secured to the truck bed.

It’s very thick, and I doubt that even a standard hammer would open it easily. I suspect it would require that someone already had a pry bar to open it, and they’d likely have to have some knowledge of its construction to successfully break into it quickly and easily, so I’m reasonably satisfied with its security. It locks by virtue of locking the tailgate of your truck (assuming you’ve got a locking tailgate).

As previously stated, two days ago I made a 250 mile round trip, the first 40 miles of which were in a blinding rain with extremely high winds (one gust actually moved me over in my own lane and almost into the other). At the end of the first leg of the trip, I checked inside, and there was no more than perhaps 1/8 of a cup of water (if even that much) in the extreme rear corner of the truck bed, with the rest of the bed being completely dry. With virtually no leakage to worry about in those conditions, I’m extremely impressed (one of the nine views on the web site shows the quadruple gasket that goes all around the top of the bed from underneath the cover – quite effective, obviously).

I opted for this because of the security, instead of the heavy vinyl option (about half the cost), or the single-piece cover that only tilts up part way. I can put something inside this cover that sticks above the truck bed and still have 2/3 of the cover open and secure while traveling if necessary. Hope this helps. (Modify the link below as needed, replacing (DOT) with the required “.” in the URL, and any other modifications that seem necessary. The Forum software actually changed the way I typed it the one time it did show up on line. Sorry – no control over the Forum web site software.)

http://www.autoanything(DOT)com/tonneau-covers/extang-solid-fold-2.0-tonneau-cover

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

GS,

Thanks for going through the trouble. I went to the website and checked it out.

So, I got the not-a-boat-cover cover, the diamondplate cover and this one… mmm.. plenty of choices. I still got some tweaks to perform – replace the gearing in the pumpkins (it gets crap gas mileage – swapping gears will allow me a greater top end), just about every wheel and axle bearing I can get ahold of, also need a cow catcher and some other minor tweaks (like replacing all the dash lighting with LED lights, not the crap incandescent ones I got now) a good heavy winch, etc…

A cover is down the road aways… but knowing where to get one is just fine. I’ll put this away in the file for later when I can cross it off the list…

Thanks again, all.

Peace.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Malgus,

With all the work you’re planning, just in case you aren’t already using (or haven’t really considered) synthetic lubes, you might want to add that to your list. The far longer life and increased mileage, reduced heat, along with far less metal wear, more than pay for the up-front cost. I was introduced to it back in 1978, when it was quite new, and have never looked back. A later mechanic friend swore by it for his racing engines. From the transmissions, to bearings, to rear ends, to engine oil, etc., that’s all I use or have used since then in all vehicles, as well as equipment (2-cycle oil at 100:1 in my chain saws, for example – yes, 100:1, even back in an old 16:1 Poulon that lasted 20+ years and only died for a non-lube-related problem).

After several years of use, I decided to get a lifetime dealership when the company briefly offered it for only $500 (no annual renewal thereafter). It’s more than paid for itself over the years. I briefly sold the stuff part time, but had pressing primary employment obligations, and decided it wasn’t worth the hassle for limited part time work, and wasn’t what I wanted to do full time (though some have done extremely well with it over the years). I just kept the lifetime dealership so I could get the products at dealer pricing. So, I have nothing to gain, am not interested in signing up new dealers or selling products – I just know the value of the products over the long term from strong personal experience, verified with my mechanics at a few interesting points along the way. I change oil in our vehicles every 25,000 miles (fully warranted), and tend to drive my vehicles at least 100,000 miles or more – never with any lubrication issues at all. Independent testing results more than satisfied me as to the value.

Since I’m technically (though not actively) a dealer, I prefer not to post the company name here to avoid any appearance of conflict of interest or secondary gain. If interested, PM me and I’ll provide the main company web site with no tracking info back to my dealer account so there’s no question. I’ll even help someone locate a dealer in their area if interested.

To me, synthetic lubes from a reputable company make good sense from a prepping standpoint – equipment lasts far longer (thus no problem with replacement lubes when supply lines may be poor, or necessarily even having to haul replacement lubes with you if leaving the area), and fuel economy is increased (not massively, but at least noticeably). Oh – and synthetic spray lube is FAR better than WD-40, over long years of experience in many situations. I just (finally!) freed a frozen lawnmower blade bolt so I could sharpen the blade, using the spray lube. Great and handy stuff to have around! (Also great for gun lube/protection.)

GS

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

GS.

Hey we always use synthetic, except on my old f350 dieselpickup 15-40 rotella. Something about the rear engine seal that doesn’t like synthetic. Also around the oil pan. One day I inquired at the local ford place about stopping the oil leaks but I got shocked, total engine removal $2000. The body isn’t in good enough shape and it doesn’t leak much oil so, why bother. I worry a bit about the oil pan rusting thru though but I think a bit of epoxy would fix it. Short term fix anyway. Less than 3000 miles a year driving it.
    My other prep is green slime. Every year after the winter I’ve got flat tires: the rototiller, the log splitter, the atv, alway one or the other. On the atv this year instead of putting in the recommended amount I went all out and put in a gallon. It seems to have worked. Old tires though. I have the tube but getting the tires off is more work than I thought. The way the bead is set is something else. It’s a 600 grizzly by Yamaha and I know new tires and rims are coming someday. These toys last forever.
    One other prep I did was a new drill, recriprocating saw and screw drill by Milwaukee – M12s. A bit more compact than my old stuff and the recriprocating saw is very handy cutting out brush. The pruning blade is fast even cutting down small trees. All we really need is a chipper.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Thank you Toby. I’ve still got more to do in the illumination department, but thanks to the article by Toby we re-thought our needs (which really hadn’t had enough thinking in the first place, at least as far as lighting was concerned), and just received two Nitecore MH20s yesterday. Well worth the money. The intent at this point is that each emergency kit “living” in our vehicles has a light in it. Like everything else, it’s “insurance.” We pay for what we hope we don’t ever have to collect on, knowing that if we ever have the big accident, we’d be very happy to have the insurance. We’ve got enough other light sources around the house, so we didn’t feel a need to have something like the Nitecore inside with us – we can always go out and get one (or both) from the vehicle(s) if needed. And the battery life just sitting in the vehicle allows us to kind of forget about them, knowing we’d still have light quite some time from now if needed, without worrying about the batteries. I loved the USB charge feature, in addition to the great selection of brightness settings, plus the strobe/SOS feature. The weak flashing blue light in the on/off button for easy location in the dark is also a great feature.

GS

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Today I bought a two man cross cut saw off Craigslist for $25. I’m pretty happy with the condition of the saw. Apparently it was put away sharp as the teeth are still relatively sharp after being a wall hanger for years and years. The sides of the blade are mildly pitted and one handle is deteriorated but not beyond usefulness. It will be a fairly easy job to sharpen and set the teeth.

It should be noted that it is a two man saw requiring two people to operate. The length of the saw makes them unstable used by one person. The opposite end away from the operator swings around and won’t allow a nice cerf to form. If you plan to saw by yourself use a shorter saw designed for a single user. A saw buck to hold the logs will be a very important piece to have as well. The tool next to the saw is a saw set designed the bend the teeth a uniform distance off center, determining the width of the cerf.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Great finds!

Profile photo of Realist
    Realist
    Prepper
    member2

Namlus that cover looks outstanding. I have an aluminum cover which I do like but I wished it was a little more rugged. It will hold 235 but not an atv. If you own a pickup truck and you want to secure your stuff you need something like this. If you really want to secure your stuff take a look at the diamondback covers. If they fit like mine you will not go wrong.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

6 fillings and a root extraction yesterday.
    Wouldn’t have been quite so bad, except the roots of an impacted wisdom tooth were intertwined and fused with the others.

Serious painkillers just made the top 5 must haves for post-whatever. The ibuprofen wasn’t making a dent.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.