Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

malgus i made a 40 foot tall hill next to my place to house the water tank has 2 advantages water pressure view point with cool field of view sides so steep you cant climb by next year wont climb because of the prickle black berry bushes planted on it.

i had a pump issue too i have a dc once from sweden works well but have a water windmill and only use pump when really low on water so far 4 months no use of pump

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, my well was in place for 20 years before I added the hand pump. It doesn’t interfere with the electric pump that supplies water to the house. It is completely independent.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

namelus,

Thanks for taking an interest. And as much as I’d like to, making a 40 foot tall hill on our property will be unworkable. Not impossible – just saying that a 40 foot hill on top of the ridge top we already live on will be… unworkable. There’s no room. If I had the resources, perhaps a smallish water tower disguised as a silo would be doable. Smaller footprint, same results.

MB,

No kidding… I’d be interested in seeing how you piped in that hand pump. If you could post an image or two, I’d be mighty grateful…

Thanks guys…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, looking for ideas?

http://www.backwoodshome.com/store/files/bu5.html

I have a copy around here you’re welcome to borrow.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Malgus, I probably wasn’t clear. My hand pump is independent of the electric pump that supplies the house but it doesn’t pump water into the house. It pumps water outside at the wellhead same as any other hand pump. It is just that the hand pump apparatus doesn’t connect to or otherwise touch the electric pump apparatus in the well itself. Note that the very inexpensive hand pumps that you sometimes see advertised are for relatively shallow wells. The Simple Pumps are designed for deeper wells in addition to being designed to be durable. My well is in the side yard maybe only 150′ off of the road and so is visible to anyone paying attention, but I figure come SHTF the whole neighborhood would be using it anyway as the easiest source of water that doesn’t need to be filtered. For toilets and watering gardens folks on the other side of the road would get water from the river running behind their houses and on my side of the road would use either water from ponds on the properties or from little streams coming off of the mountain behind us. If there is anything we’ll never run out of here it is water and wood.

Profile photo of Realist
    Realist
    Prepper
    member2

Began cleaning up the garden for winter planting. I recently read one guy saying gardening is just for day to day stuff but you need to have a farm if you are going to survive in the long term. I tend to agree with this, if we are truly going to survive on what we grow and raise. I have been experimenting with what we grow for 10 plus years. The real test is to grow what we can use and not let a bunch go to waste. So because of all this I will be increasing our growing area by about double. I got approval from the War Department to purchase a “new” used tractor which I will pick up the first of November. This will really enable me to get the place in shape.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Congrats on the new tractor. I hire a neighborhood guy to rototill my garden Spring & Autumn, plus he did the initial turning over of the sod for me. He did a drainage ditch and other assorted odd jobs for me with his equipment too. Before winter sets in he’s going to brush hog the sheep pasture. Between him and my next door neighbor having a small backhoe/bucketloader plus assorted farming attachments I can’t justify ever buying my own.

There was snow & hail mixed in with the rain today as a reminder that winter is coming. It was in the mid to high 30’s though so nothing stuck. Of course I was outside working all day wearing shorts, but I did have a hooded sweatshirt type jacket on. Shorts weather is coming to an end I suppose.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    I keep thinking you should be finding a friend with a draft horse or two. Then if the lights go out you will have the help you need with crops and logging. I have a few farms with horses near by that I intend to befreind.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

That would be nice. Lots of folks around here have horses but I’m not aware of any draft horses. They all seem to be hobby type horses. Hopefully there are some working horses in the area come SHTF. I have read of some younger farmers using them in lieu of tractors as a sort of lifestyle choice and but I don’t specifically know of any locally.

Profile photo of Realist
    Realist
    Prepper
    member2

Draft horses are awesome so long as they are properly trained. I would like to have a pair for plowing and pulling a wagon………..but……to old to start now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Any full size horse would be better then a shovel and a hoe. I had a friend in Maine that owned 2 riding horses, we used one for logging . The horse could pull a 10″ or 12″ diameter log 10′-12′ long like it was child’s play. This horse pulled a single bottom plow as well. He wasn’t the best to work with because he didn’t have a slow easy start. Twitch the reins and bang off you go at a jog behind him instead of fetching up nice and slow. I had a close call with him as he took off with a log and I caught my foot in a root. The log slid by pressing on my shin. I still have a slight dent in my shin from the abrasion.

The ground implements I bought for my garden tractor can be converted to horse drawn without to much fuss. It’s one of the reasons I bought them instead of a rototiller.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Profile photo of dutch_viking
    dutch_viking
    Survivalist
    rreallife

this is my first posting over months ,
    the situation is getting more critical each week over here in Europe,
    normal i would prep food water medicine ,i still do butt i am starting to prep protection ,
    warm jackets , pants,socks,my latest gear was a 80 lbs pistol grip crossbow,
    another one 150 lbs rifle crossbow is under way …..

i am starting to reinforce my house too…. doors and windows,
    searching for a wood stove online for heating….

my gutt is telling me to hurry up before shtf …..
    what the hell is going on with the world ……..

this sucks
    keep on prepping !!!

Dutch_viking

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Dutch,
    I think we all have had that feeling of OMG why did I wait to do this. But don’t get stressed out, because you do have time to get things done and you know what to do.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Dutch, is your concern about the current refugee invasion, general economics, or war? Or just a sixth sense that something is coming soon?

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

Share this much: ROTATE canned goods, repaired nylon carrying bags with small to medium -sized rips with high quality black duct tape, saved due to good zippers and Velcro that still work after five years and took what might have been at least 25 dollar bag put to buying brass pellets for air pistol practice for friends who have a nice private back yard in an urban setting, discussed with a long time co-worker known for eight years why he should use his big basement for sealed water storage, and canned and bottled food, because he respects Ted Koppel’s research and opinion on a local or national grid down situation, first time in working together for eight years I ever brought up the idea he could stock up and he was all ears and appears he’s headed to self-reliance 101. I’ll check in with him in a month, if 2016 he’s NOT done anything, I’ll “leave him alone” and talk music and sports.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.