Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Rain has hampered most outdoor preps. My water project is stalled by too much water. Garden has done well, and continues to produce good yield.

Went to the shooting range to get some long overdue practice in. Very bad shooting day. Worked hard on front sight focus. Difficult transition to new glasses.

Dehydrated a bunch of herbs from the garden..

Looking back on it, more productive than I thought.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

With what I think will be the 3rd or 4th wettest June Vermont has ever seen coming to an end (after tonight’s rain), my very waterlogged garden has been growing slowly. The cabbages and potatoes are flourishing but everything else is behind where it should be. The good news is that the long range forecast has 6 rain-free days coming up Thursday – Tuesday, something we haven’t come close to this past month. Our daughter & family are coming up from NC for the week on Friday so that’ll be especially good being the girls like to be outside. It’s even going to top 80 degrees. Today’s prep will be trying to get some weeding done in the garden before the rain comes and though not a prep, Thursday I will catch up on the yard making it park-like, which if it wasn’t the kids would wonder what’s wrong. It’s been hard keeping up with all the rain.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roadracer, are you new to wearing glasses or are you adjusting to a new pair?

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Adjusting to a new pair. First time shooting with them. Trifocals now instead of Bifocals. The transition from midrange to far range was really messing me up. Eyes kept switching between front sight and rear sights. Just means practice, practice and more practice to train the eye. Just need the time to do it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

This weekend I found a flexible 24″ x 16″ photo voltaic panel in the trash dumpster. It works and is putting out 20V. The edge binding is loose and it has some other wear, but for free I’m happy.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Last weekend was the Annual Town-wide Tag Sale which is made into a festive day of sorts with food at the firehouse, fireworks at night, and a book sale at the library. It doesn’t take much to entertain small town folks I suppose. Most of the books at the book sale were free and the rest were $.10 (paperback) and $.25 (hardbound). I walked away with a box full of books that was about as heavy as I was willing to carry. The buying part came to $1.75 so I just gave them $10 and said to keep the change. I always pick up a bunch of history type books and old classics, and if I can find them “how to” type books, though there wasn’t much of that this time. The woman who works at the library is used to me coming to the sales, and she even handed me a couple old books saying “you';ll want these”. My extensive library will ensure my grandkids have access to history that is no longer taught.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

It has been a heck of a year so far. Been hard to ‘prep’ when just keeping up with the demands for assistance (from family, friends, community). My elderly father has now had 3 strokes since January. At home, it has been tough to help care for him, farm and commitments to community and still breath. The victims of fire have been, finally, rehoused and are adjusting magnificently! Trails we have created to keep alerted/patrol our area have taken a lot of work because,…whelp…so much rain…’crap’ grows like crazy. Despite the great seeming weather here in VA, predict is going to be a big hay shortage come winter. Despite rain and great temps…many farmers cut and couldn’t get it baled in time before more rain set in. Lots has gone to the mushroom farmers in PA. Used my new small baler this year and happy to say have had 3 cuttings. This is the kind of weather where smaller, more agile, less acres makes for some profit. Have lots of bales (not rounders) put up and am sure will sell all early on. Keeping the veg garden weeded, under control (this the year of Japanese beetle) has been a struggle. LOTS of HUGE potatoes however…lettuce been ongoing, onions same… LOTS of apples, pears, and berries. Did get a neighbor to help add some solar panels in far field to add solar pumping to stock tanks and etc. Lowest quote to paint just board and batten barn was $9500 – completed 2 of the sides (scrape, prime, 2 top coats) last week. Figure other 2 sides next year. Prepping in my mind means also keeping up with maintenance of what you already have!

Did complete new underground greenhouse 4 weeks ago. Just have to add gravel drainage. Other than that, same old thing for me…work…smile, laugh, love, smile, help when able….and keep on going!

Miss you all. Sorry but my father’s care on top of all else, has had me tapped out for much else…including online time. Hope you all are well and happy. An old friend..

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

A reversible summer / autumn suit of Partizan M camo , and a modern issue , SPOSN load bearing web harness …….hard to find , but being Russian , its designed for the AK platform . 200 SP rounds for the FAL . And another Russian individual water filter .

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Miss Tweva,
    Just good to hear you are still around.
    Hope your dad starts doing better.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

tweva. you are an inspiration. Your father, friends, and neighbors are fortunate to have you in their lives.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

For Tweva and the other serious growers:

http://ezgrogarden.com/

If you would go over this system and tell us what you think. I am thinking of starting a “vertical garden” so I can take it with me if I must move from here.

Thanks
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin,
    The space savings are obvious and probably many other advantages.
    However these would be my observations as well:
    It will take time & materials to build the vertical support system.
    The system will need an effective, efficient watering system.
    The method requires conciderable labor handling soil and a source.
    Planted containers dryout faster then in ground plants and need more attention in hot periods.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Despite it having been unseasonably and brutally hot the past week or so (mid to upper 80’s every day, even topping 90 on at least one day, and humid), I tended the wood pile. I moved about 4 cords from behind the garage onto my front porch for ease of access for much of the winter, and had 5 more cord delivered so as to bring my wood storage area up to maximum capacity, giving me almost a 3 year supply. I figure why not fill the wood area (a 12′ X 24′ cement pad with roof over it) to capacity now. Should SHTF prior to next spring, I’ll have wood enough for 2 more seasons without taking on the task of cutting/hauling/splitting myself. There will plenty of other stuff to do under those circumstances. It’s a lot of work just stacking it behind the garage and then moving it onto the porch when I buy it cut, split & delivered. I’m going to wait until this heat wave is over before stacking the 5 cords however. The important part is its here. Just one more day and then it’ll come down closer to more normal temps.

The other thing I will be doing soon is putting in a seed order rather than wait until late winter. I’ll get that done within a couple more days I think. I already bought the garden fabric to deal with the weeds between my rows.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    Good moves on your part. I bought a lot of seed off the racks at the end of the season, and picked as many heirloom varieties as possible. I let my geen beans go when they were close to being finished and shucked the hulls for seed. I think I ended up with a pound or so. Last weekend I was at a flea market to buy a pitch fork to dig potatoes. A vender was there selling produce and had a whole table of different pepper varieties. After a short discussion with the grower about heirloom varieties, I spent $5.00 on 5 varieties and came home with about a pound of hot peppers. I’ll cut them open for the seed and save them for next year in envelopes.

Cash has been on short supply until just recently so I haven’t been buying anything. But I had a pipe corrode inside a wall and leak causing extensive damage. So I’m doing my own contracting/repairs paying myself from the insurance claim. This has allowed me to purchase some reloading supplies, a new backpack, mess kit, and pistol mag pouches.

I fixed a problem I was having with reloading .233 cases. The head spacing on a lot of rifles is about .020 longer than the specs for finished case dimensions. But not all guns are chambered so loosely, so poorly sized case won’t seat in guns with tighter chambers. With three .223’s one has a tight chamber and won’t run the ammo unless it’s close to new dimensional specifications.

I have RCBS sizing dies in a Hornady progressive press. With the die adjusted at the maximum depth touching the shell plate I couldn’t set the shoulder back that .020. Using a diamond home I lapped the die face cutting off the .020 I needed to meet specs. After resembling the die it now produces cases .001 from specifications and should fit in any gun.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of 74 74.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sold a bunch of brass, ya you heard that right, sold a bunch.
    Taking up too much room in the garage since I shut down the shop and was doing nothing.
    So it’s getting re-purposed by someone else now.

Taking a couple of friends out this afternoon for shooting lessons. Gives me time to fully function test the new
    ccw piece. Picked up a 21yo G23, a Gen2 it’s old and will bear watching but the price was right and the higher capacity is not a bad thing lately. The price of ammo is cheaper for classes and the reduced size fits the kids better.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.