Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ll second 74’s comment. Wildartist, what you and Bushrat are doing is what we need more of. Way too many people use disabilities as an excuse to not do anything for themselves where as you just described with a few adjustments and a little ingenuity you can still keep on living life to the full. The two of you will be an asset to the community come SHTF. The young bucks can provide the muscle but they’ll need the two of you for your knowledge and skill. As an aging baby boomer I’m slowly coming to terms with that myself.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Not a prep but rather a prepping inquiry of sorts. When walking my son’s dog up the road I saw the folks from NJ who own an old farmhouse up the road from me were out in the yard so I stopped by to introduce myself. I had already judged that they weren’t preppers based on how they used (or more correctly stated didn’t use) their land and their infrequent visits but one never knows and a 2nd home in the countryside always affords the possibility of it being a bug out location. I was right. Not even close to being preppers or seeing it as a bug out location, but at least now I know for sure.

Something good that I did see this weekend is my next door neighbors turned over their back field and have had it readied for planting something. Not sure what their plans are but it is a good thing regardless in that it is one more large garden plot in the neighborhood. For a lot of folks who think they’ll take up gardening come SHTF, they’ll learn very quickly just how much work it is to turn over sod the first time and then ready a parcel for planting, especially here in rocky New England.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB,
    You’re 100% correct about turning hard soil over by hand. The average person could only work a small plot. The size wouldn’t produce enough to support even one person and the labor would be back breaking.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

It’s drying out here. My wife’s garden is dead in the water. One of our rototiller tires went flat and the mice chewed up the internal wiring over the winter. Had to dismantle the front and tape the bare spots. The tires…. Ah. I’ve given up on fixing. Two new tires and two tubes. It’s like a new horse again.

Went to a college graduation and came down with a viral cold. A lot of congestion and trouble breathing. And then to top it off… Ha ha what could be worse right.. I was cold one night and grabbed a long underwear top from a bin. It had somekind of spider in it and I got a very ugly welt on my back. If it was a brown recluse I’m probably lucky. Couldn’t find the corpse. No serious side effects for me. A hard shocky chill at first, no deep tissue damage, I used tea tree oil to treat it, in the morning after discovering it in the mirror. My Immune system is getting a workout the last week. It’s definitely the worst spider bite I’ve ever had and I didn’t see it coming from being so miserable with the cold. Reading up on it is my prep.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

But other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the show? Hopefully this coming week will be better Brulen.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Began prep for a retaining wall that will control water runoff across the back of my property. Creek bed is dry most of the time, but rains will get the water flowing. Besides opening some of the land for additional use, during SHTF could be used to develop a water retention pond. Every source of water will be valuable. Glad to take what ever the nonpreppers upstream are willing to send my way.

Some heavy lifting, and a little sore this morning. But well worth the effort.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Put up the wall that separates the “garden” from the rest of the yard.
    Not the easiest considering the rain we’ve gotten over the last two weeks.

Got invited out mushroom hunting, found a smal pile of Morels, after nearly 30 years without, it was like putting crack in front of a junkie. This will not end well for the local mushroom crop.

P.S. You can dehydrate them, freeze them, saute them in butter and of course just lightly bread them and fry them in butter.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    You still have time to put plants in if you have the ground broken. I started watering my garden from my well. I didn’t want to be using it this early in the season. Because my garden is located about 40 higher than the house I’ve been filling a 55gl drum and taking it up the hill to water with a tractor. I use a regular hose right now and siphon the water out. I’m using this method so I put less wear on the well pump. The extra 40 vertical feet is a lot of pressure.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

74 you might consider getting a wind mill pump and a retaining area for your water so if things go wrong you dont have to lug that much water up hill. I use a similar system since 40 feet down to river…. as back up i have a centrifugal pump that does 60 feet of head in a 1.5 inch in/out 600gpm on diesel….. pull start… have used it as a fire hose and WOW it does do that well.

you can make the wind mill or you can buy one… or you can like me ask old farmer for theirs for a bottle of whiskey. the repairs and take down are simple if you have minimal skill plus the few things you will have to buy are cheap and good to have on hand for repairs in future… 30 years service will tell you what will break.

when i had it down i copied all the parts in to patterns for the metal shop to make more… will have a second one up this fall for other part of property to a animal drinking dug out, this time i will add fish, when winter starts i will change from water pumping in to circulating so it stays open during winter (i hope)

i am using large gauge pex piping so even if i get a freeze up the pipes dont burst.

i went to an above ground storage tank, i poured pilings and got a old hi tension power-line tower stopped it short and put a ” water barrel” on it for warm weather use it is only 30 foot high to the top. only problem is this year i have to get a top for it as too many things like the water barrel as a pond to swim in like ducks, geese. I was told that is recipe for animals to get sick from water as it has no eco system to deal with waste.

whirl there is a few ways to cultivate morels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFugHA2WaI and shitatke

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I will plant this week and fortunately the forecast has some rain coming being I really don’t want to be hauling water out there. I’ll water using buckets from the pond but would prefer Mother Nature take care of the watering for me.

I just did my good deed for the day. Nobody had mowed the Scout House property yet this year so I did it and then weed whacked which it doesn’t seem anyone did last year. This is an old one room schoolhouse across the way from me that was still in use until about 1970. I heard that due to lack of boys the scout troop has gone inactive after however many decades. Sad, but each year there are fewer kids around here and the scouts have to compete with so many other activities that are available these days. A church organization actually owns the property it is on but I’m not sure whether the church or the Town owns the actual building. The church burned long ago and was never rebuilt but legally an organization still exists on paper at least. If now that nobody is using it the grounds reverted to a field, a simple brush fire could easily burn down an old dried out wooden structure like that. In addition to the historical preservation aspect of it, under some SHTF scenarios, maybe it could be deployed as a school house. So, I’ll mow it until the Boy Scouts or whoever start to use it again they take care of the property. Fortunately a few years ago the Boy Scouts replaced the wood posts supporting the belfry which was in danger of collapsing at the time. The architectural integrity would be greatly diminished without it.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

MB, you may want to contact that troop and see what they’re doing.
    Most troops have an ebb and flow to membership, depending heavily on the committee members and Scoutmasters.

Our troop, the goal is to get the kids through First Class. After that, its self motivated.
    But it is a great way to stay involved locally and help the next generation along.
    And you can learn and practice some neat stuff along the way.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks namelus, I’m in a residential area so I have to be careful of what and how I go about my projects. Currently I don’t think I could get a windmill though zoning.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Its yard art, a decorative.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirl, Yes well as far as that goes my wife, who is not 100% with the program might offer some resistance to that style of art. If the grid goes away she’d love it instead of pumping water by hand, but that’s not a finished discussion. Where my well is located plays a big part. My well is under the bird bath.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I finished the fence around the garden today. I am about week to late getting it done though. The deer descended on the garden the last 3 days and ate the tops out of all the corn, pumpkins, squash and strawberries. Everything but the corn will still produce just not as much. I’m going to do my second planting later this week for a fall crop of sweet corn and late tomatoes.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.