Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 351 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Got the vegetable garden planted. Preventive maintenance on both vehicles. Not rocket science, but productive.

Lucky you. One of my vehicles has been in the shop for a week. It was dianosed at first with needing a new throtlebody thingee and they did it $1300. And then discovered that didnt fix the problem. So rediagnosed a new fuel pump. Only $800 .. Hey i feel good. Ha ha! Toyota. So i ordered a couple cases of Underwood deviled ham for my preps, to celebrate. Will go good on the hardtack I have stored. Vegetable garden, chickens and trees… And a horse to get to town. The simple life. Let ups deliver, these smart vehicles are worse than the old ones.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    Hope you burned the infested trees. Your new trees and other existing trees need some help fighting the beatles. I’d coat the bark with something the beatles don’t like. Copper bottom paint lasts a long time and keeps marine bores from destroying wood under water. I’d be thinking along those lines, stuff that won’t go away in the sun and rain. Below is an article about painting fruit trees with latex paint. Some people apparently mix in drywall joint compound to make a thicker armor coating. Peach growers use white paint, you could pick a neutral bark color for your walnuts.

http://fruitgrowersnews.com/index.php/magazine/article/painting-tree-trunks-protects-against-rodents-borers

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, What equipment do you have for your N? Sounds like you could use a disc harrow and a cultivator to run after the plowing. Leave the rake and hoe back in the shed.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Prepping a few off grid items. One a Brunton revolt 9000. Going to pair it up with a couple of 26 watt solar panels for use with my iPad. Will also power up phones kindle etc.
    Also found a great little flood light that uses LEDs. Low amp high output 120v. Really curious to see if a Brunton 100w inverter can light it up on 12v.

Two revolt 9000 will charge an ipad to 100% taking about a 50% power loss on each. Its hard to tell because theres no digital power readout.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Leopard,

On the run food?

Ever hear of “pemmican”? American Indians used to make it. It’s calorie dense, plenty of fats, carbohydrates and sugars. Plus, it keeps for a good long while – several months to several years without refrigeration.

It’s so effective, here it is a couple hundred years later and we’re still making it.

Enjoy,

http://www.wildernesscollege.com/pemmican-recipes.html
    ……………………………………
    You’d think the fat would turn rancid without refrigeration. I’m pretty sure the indians didn’t have nitrogen or BHT.
    Their motto was move light and fast. Live off the land. An army marches on its belly.
    Bon appetite.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

Brulen that is why the USA killed all the buffalo so they could starve the indians into submission.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Brulen that is why the USA killed all the buffalo so they could starve the indians into submission.

This is why Gen. Curtis LeMay firebombed Tokyo.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

This is why Gen. Curtis LeMay firebombed Tokyo.

I think you have your wars mixed up.

(Joke)

Profile photo of P1LGR1M
    P1LGR1M
    Survivalist
    member2

I finally got round to starting a small vegetable garden, planted some carrots, peas, green beans and tomatoes and will add some more variety when spring comes around. The vegies that I started with were all planted in pots and now I will have to replant them into the garden, any tips on this, or can I just stick them into the ground and be GTG?

The reason for the pots were that I was busy prepping/cleaning a piece of the garden that does not get used and is covered on three sides by walls, so hoping that it will give a reasonable barrier to the elements and will look at putting up a shade cloth over to protect against frost, hail, etc., whilst still allowing sunlight to filter through.

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

Had all 4 impacted wisdom teeth out. Taking the full antibiotic course. But not in much pain so able to set some of that good stuff by for a future need and use lower grade stuff instead.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I bought 50lbs of seed potatoes today. The average yield is 12-13lbs per 1lb of seed. I have no idea what the garden will produce because it’s the first year for it. But I’m hoping for about 500lbs of potatoes.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Still planting more in the garden. Tomatoes already have blossoms. Using stock tanks as raised planters for part of the garden so Bushrat can reach them and weed/harvest from his wheelchair. The blackberries planted in the RR tie raised bed are flourishing. Unfortunately so are the weeds in the unplanted areas… Also purchased a rainbird type sprinkler etc for watering.

Bushrat is stocking up on reloading supplies. Just ordered brass for his new (used) .243 varmint rifle, courtesy of his loving (& gun loving) wife…;)

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

I bought 50lbs of seed potatoes today. The average yield is 12-13lbs per 1lb of seed. I have no idea what the garden will produce because it’s the first year for it. But I’m hoping for about 500lbs of potatoes.

Heh..

I bought 15 pounds of seed potatoes just to run as an experiment.

Today I watered them and HOLY MOLEY! They’re already popping up! No way!

To answer your question re: N, we got the soil sample results back from the County Extension. Lime is fine, N is fine, phosphorus… all fine. Matter of fact, the lady at the extension said they were some of the best samples they have seen. I guess leaving the land fallow for a couple years did the trick – and letting animals poo on it, etc.

The trees, we burned today. I talked with the place that sold them to me – Trees of Antiquity – and they said to mix latex paint and water 50/50 and paint the trunks with that. They said that most times, the young trees get sunburned and the bark weakens. The bugs sense the weakened bark and go after the tree. Sooooo, guess what we’re doing tomorrow? Also spraying for insects before painting them…

Got all the dead trees replaced, except one. Believe it or not, it actually put up some leaves over the last 48 hours, but I’d still rather replace him with a bigger, stronger tree. He got beat up pretty good, so we’re gonna transplant him into a really big clay pot and dote on him, letting him get bigger and stronger before we put him back out with his buddies… the almond trees are just EXPLODING! Seriously! Who woulda thunk it! Never seen the like. My wife’s plum trees are getting seriously big… they were downright puny when we first planted them… but now? Hoo…

Apple trees are taking off as well… they’ve actually been passed by the plum trees insofar as size is concerned, but they’re kicking butt as well…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sounds good Malgus. Those plums are susceptible to bores, paticularly the crooks. You should paint them as well. Tent caterpillars lovem as well and will clean the leaves right off. I found that a plumbers torch destroys the web and puts an end to them without using any chemicals.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bushrat is one lucky guy, he picked a hellofa woman.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 351 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.