Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Always a tough call.

My wife and I recently discussed this again. And we fully expect both our families to show up.

The difference from many? 500 miles to the closest family members. Puts quite a different perspective on things.

Friends? Our old friends wouldn’t think to come visiting us, too far again. Our new friends, better prepped than we are.

Are we our brothers keeper?
    Is blood really thicker than water?

In my family we have always taken in those family members in need.
    Of course there is always that one member of the family who’ll steal you blind, but still, who can you trust more than family?

The funny part? I’m sure both our parents expect us to head to their places. The farther one away, some 1200 miles is the better choice, but is way too far post-SHTF.

We have some extra supplies just in case, but in a reality they won’t get used by those they were intended for.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The food problem becomes a real quandary. However near my house is a grain farm. 200+ acres of corn & soy beans. 4 giant silos of grain. I believe he will sell me some when shtf or trade for over-watch on his farm below me. Corn muffins, corn flakes, corn bread, soy burgers and tofu.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Depends from the scenario and circumstances but in my case door will be shut, of course that some folks will be probably taken, but that is gonna be matter of our choice.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

You all are going to think me heartless. And you’re probably right.

My mother and father are both aged. Still, there is no question – I would provide for them under any circumstances if they needed me. They have a place here, always, under any circumstances – even if that means I give up my bed and go sleep in a wall tent in the backyard. That’s just the way it is.

My younger brother, he has a place here. He has skills, is healthy and motivated. He has no problems getting his hands dirty or taking orders.

My younger sister? She has a place here, as well as her husband. He is a veteran and also skilled. She has a very kind heart and I don’t think she has it in her to pull a trigger. She would make a good medic, I think.

My older sister? Total writeoff. No useful skills, combative, über-leftist… her presence here would only create conflict. Her lack of useful skills means a learning curve – she’s never done a day’s labor in her life, as well as consuming resources that other more useful members could be using. Plus, she’s shacked up with some goof, and I don’t want him here, either.

It’s just triage. The math says I have X resources available for Y people. If those Y people work with me, I will have X+? resources to sustain us, and perhaps a bit more. Anyone who I would class “useless” (other than my parents) would only be a parasite. If you do not work, you do not eat. The End.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Interesting responses.
    Our group has adopted a “Triad” attitude. If someone outside the group is wanting to come in then they must be known by someone in our original group. That person assumes the responsibility for the new persons.
    The new folks are answerable not only to their “sponsor” but everyone else.
    When SHTF and everyone gets here we then set up the “Triad.” I will be one of the members. The persons at large will elect another member. Then myself and that newly elected person will pick a third member.
    Once all that is settled we will revisit our policies and rules.
    Will we turn away strangers? If they can not be producing members of the group (doctor, nurse, carpenter, person that knows about stuff that grows wild) then we will give them some supplies and send them down the road.
    Bottom line is that the Triad will make these decisions.

There again, nothing is perfect.

Robin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

then we will give them some supplies and send them down the road. — Robin

Not to be snarky, but “If you give a mouse a cookie…”

Giving folks your hard-won resources will only encourage them to come back – and when you refuse them on their second attempt, they will get indignant. “But, you gave me stuff last time!!” Yep, and it was a one-time deal. They won’t like that and, if they have nothing left to lose, might do something nasty – like burn down your barn or kill livestock or snipe at you…

No rules means just that – no rules. Expecting others to play by the rules you play by? You’ll be setting yourself up for failure…

Ain’t trying to tell you how to do things… just throwing that out there for food for thought…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

What do you do with the unpreparred family and friends?

Nothing, my wifes family although unprepared feature into our plans for certain scenarios due to skill bases, my own do not (Sounds cold I know).

Friends, my friends are spread all over but locally I only have people I know………. not my problem and no one knows I prepare.

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

From my perspective:

‘An unanswered knock yields no result'; Someone at your door? Stand off and observe, wait and see their chosen course of action and react accordingly.

‘You’re not welcome’ – A robust greeting that clearly highlights move on…or else.

‘Hey Neighbo(u)r’ – Hi, I’d love to help, can you help me? It’s tough for everyone right now… Enter discussion on specific skills/asset trades, make sure a present but subtle ‘show of force’ is in place (Depends on your country) and act accordingly.

‘You’re on the list’ – Thanks goodness you made it, come in, how are you, can I get you anything…?

I’m in a small community, so this works for me, but it is a good mental exercise for the larger population…. Try to define ‘specifics’ instead of ‘variables’ especially with human interaction, if it is not clear before you engage (this can be a positive as well as a negative thing) then chaos can (and often will) ensue… Talk about your ‘triggers’ and ‘actions on’ NOW!

What do you NEED how will you get it? what do you NOT WANT…? Stark terms but necessary…

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus, Wow! my story is very close to yours, I take my Father and Mother they are in there 80’s but they would still help out and lookout in the mornings. My Wife’s Father and Mother are good and in the 70’s, her brother has been puting up money on the food we are saving but my wife’s sister and my sister are lift wing.

I know this will be a problem when they come because of no food. The to mothers will be crying for me to help them anyway. I will be one mad man! They never save anything and live from day to day.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My choices for this are personal. Brother and Sister-in-law both were on blood machines. They have since both died. Sister is on one side of Texas and I am on the opposite side.
    Until the Triad is set up I will make that type of decision. Not a dictatorship.
    Where I live is a 200 acre slice of 1,750 acre portion of a National Grassland. This area is at the very north border of Texas and a very, very rural area. This place is not on the pathway to anywhere.
    Malgus, Every thing I will do is very carefully thought of before hand. There again there is no way to effectively ban everyone from the place.
    Toby C. How about that topic as a new entry?
    Robin

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi Robin,

What Topic? I thought I was ‘on post’ with my comments… Let me know though, always happy to start new threads :)

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Toby C:
    “I’m in a small community, so this works for me, but it is a good mental exercise for the larger population…. Try to define ‘specifics’ instead of ‘variables’ especially with human interaction, if it is not clear before you engage (this can be a positive as well as a negative thing) then chaos can (and often will) ensue… Talk about your ‘triggers’ and ‘actions on’ NOW! What do you NEED how will you get it? what do you NOT WANT…? Stark terms but necessary…”
    Your points in this entry really are great. How about expanding these thoughts?

Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I don’t think someone’s politics before shtf are going to define them once it starts. Some will get religion over night like a cancer patient. Some people on the right will be loafs. I have a step daughter that is usless now and 2 kids that will end up here. It would be impossible for me if I don’t let them in. I need 2 people for guard duty at all times anyway and I’m way short so it might workout for the better.

Four brothers, none that is ready for a long weekend. 1 might make it here with wife & babe. I’m not turning any family away if they can get here.
    Friends will need food & guns to get in if they show up.

Escape & evade is really gonna be a problem.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

1974t150v, I think that you are right, family comes first. This is why I, my father. mother and my wife’s brother are all together on funding the food. We know that we need to have food for all that do not believe in the SHTF.

So when they come I will let them in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.