Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Leopard wrote:</div>Front sight, press.<br>
    Repeat as needed. ~ Whirlibird Good recipe ! Somehow stuck in my mind. Lol

Jay, it is very important to teach puppies from the very first time to eat from their bowl. Not to feed them by hand, throwing food at them. Criminals shoot dogs or stab them with a knife , screw driver. If the dog is trained they use processed meat or sausage – put two step – organophosphates and carbamate ( Aldicarb) inside the meat to poison them.

The first signs of poisoning start within minutes. The dog gets the feeling of pins and needles and start licking his paws and legs. He might have wobbly hind legs. And when the poison starts eating away it get really ugly. I use activated charcoal made from coconut shells, with any first signs. Then straight to the vet for injections. Special diet follows and it normally takes months before the dog is in good condition again. They get permanent liver damage most of the time. I’ve managed to safe my current dog twice last year. The first time was very bad. I’ve lost a dog two years ago – even the fish in the tank died that night. I got sick from cleaning up with a mask and wearing gloves

Twice in one year?
    This would not end well for someone.
    I’ll tolerate a lot, but you mess with my dog and I will hunt you down and your long buried grandparents will feel your suffering.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

What am I up to today?

‘Community’ trails building group meeting shortly building first observation platform/deer stand in key spot at one access point of our area.

Spraying dwarf fruit trees with organic spray, succession planting of lettuces/installing shade cloth over bed, hill up potatoes, harvest lemon balm, mint, horseradish, start fresh batch compost in water bath, Scrap up mortar mix from steps and repaint – repaired chimney cap and without thinking flicked the mortar off one end – forgot wasn’t on the ground – off into the air it went and splat! All over the steps below it. Sigh. One step forward, 2 steps back.

If time, lay in the hammock with a good book before dinner with friends while weather beautiful.

Have fun y’all!

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

We’re going to the Saturday market. We have a booth there to sell and trade. Getting ready for our son’s high school graduation this Monday. Yes he made it happen! I’m picking up my new Ruger .22 target pistol & getting camping equipment ready for upcoming fishing trip over Father’s Day weekend.

All my SHTF comrades have a great day!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Slicing, dicing and drying squash. Bought a bushel for $50. Not a great price but I paid almost $40 last year. My farmer said green beans will be ready in about 2 weeks.
    I am not allowed to “dig in the dirt” around here so last year I used large nursery tubs. Also planted tomatoes and onions in the stump of an old oak tree that came down 3 years ago. This year the bending over and toting is out of the question.
    Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Our homestead needs still lots of attention and work. We had some guys coming over with a heavy machine to grade our land and build in some terraces. The solar panel guys came to install new stuff but forgot the screws… pretty typical for this country. People dont pay much attention to details.

We will move a second truck load of things we have up from Bangkok in the next week. Busy times but it is sort of positive stress! :)

Question to Tweva and all you other hobby or more serious gardeners. What works well against flys? We have a couple of flys on our land and would like to get rid of them. Just annoys my wife a bit. Any ideas?

Our neighbor also sprayed some nasty herbicide. We are not happy about that and will talk with him about stopping this. We are about 30m away from this and he sprays rarely and only on ground level but still…

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Jay –

I try and concentrate on eliminating where they breed near the house and barns. In the barns I use sticky traps that hang down (come in a cylinder, you peel and unfurl it in a long strip and hang from the string attached to it). They are attracted to it and stick. I use lavender and cloves in bowls around the house as a repellant.

Here’s all you need to know about handling the problem! HTH!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay,
    This odd method seems to keep flys away.
    Use a clear plastic baggie with water in it, place three or four copper pennies into the bag and put it where you don’t want the flys. Some people hang them on doors and windows to keep flys out.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Took my wife to the range today, her first time shooting anything tried 22lr, 9mm & 38spl.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks for the ideas Tweva and 74 will try that out! :)
    How did your wife do at the range 74?

We have some more grading of the land going on today and the pipes for the septic tank are put into the ground. We opted for an oversized septic tank to make sure the blackwater stays in there long enough (1500L for 2 people).

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Been stocking up on firewood. Winter is here now. Some plants need to be moved to protect them from the weather. Need to work inside my head a bit. The economy is beginning to hit harder. Some of my part time employees not coping. So many people begging on street corners. I can not keep up with helping people. Need to cut down or do more marketing and work harder at getting people to help themselves. At the same time my balance between working and sleeping is wobbling.(*Need some of Malgus sense of humor to cope with today’s ‘poo’.)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

The economic situation gets now worse everywhere and media seems to be ignoring it. I see lots of places closing down and people losing their jobs. Good time to live more frugal and get everything in order for what might come next.

Our backhoe guy had a problem with his machine again today and worked only half the day. Not cool, we make really really slow progress but it is what it is. Instead of being done a week ago, realistically we will be done in 2-3 weeks if the workers continue at this pace.

Got a bit sunburned today (forgot to put sun lotion on my shoulders) but other than that everything is good. Feels good to have been outside the whole day and doing some physical work (instead of sitting in front of a computer like I mostly do otherwise…).

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Today is monthly check and repair fence lines day. Then check stores day, rotate foodstuffs, note what needs used sooner than later and what needs replenished. Of course, then business work on computer this afternoon when rains come again.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Raining here today. Florida gets a lot of rain in the summer. Growing tomatoes, the cherry tomatoes grow all over my yard since I planted them two years ago they just pop up every were in my yard. Real good tomatoes and with all the rain they are growing fast.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Fiddling around with software and Ubuntu. Probably going to play around with the Shortwave radio tonight, see what I can do to increase signal reception.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moved industrial metal shelving into the basement near my reloading set up. Moved all the loaded ammo onto the shelving, stored the mags for rifles onto the shelves. Stored loads of miscellaneous gear, backpacks & mag pouches. Created space in the reloading area to reorganize thousands of empty cases and bullets. Put away cold weather cammo. Ordered antibotics for my fish.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.