Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I am tenting the house for termites, Have been seeing them fly around. Big job, had to remove all my storage, food, water and weapons to my parents house. Have been on this for a week.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I am tenting the house for termites, Have been seeing them fly around. Big job, had to remove all my storage, food, water and weapons to my parents house. Have been on this for a week.

Do you have crawl space under the house? What are you doing?

We had to get some pipes for poison injections built into the foundation of our homestead for this.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay in Florida it is common to tent a house for pest control. They put a tent over the whole house that is mostly air tight. They then fumigate the whole house. The tent traps the poison in the house. They leave it like this for a few days and then remove the tent. Very effective technique for deeply imbedded pests. NOTHING lives.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Yeah right, saw this in the “breaking bad” series :D

How soon can you get back into your house once this is over?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hey Jay I am back inside the house, airing it out. All the bugs are dead now. The last time I did this was 10 years ago. That is what it last about 7 to 10 years. I also treated the house for sub-triennial termiteswere they dig all around the house and use a liquid that kills them. This kills everything else too! It is a pain to do since you have to move all the food out of the house.

So I am back!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I remember Florida for the giant Palmetto bugs. Things would eat anything. Scarey creatures. Glad that’s all taken care of Freedom.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Taking a half day off to do absolutely nothing but lay in the hammock and read a book, and remember all those who fought for this country….so I could exactly that, just because I am free to choose. Memorial Day weekend here is glorious weather. Blessed.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Have a great day tweva.  We are doing a big house cleaning today.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks twee…

We’re still picking up the pieces from an odd – and very powerful – storm. 99% of the storms that we get come out of the Southwest – Warm air from the Gulf heads northeast, where it hits cold air coming out of Canada heading southeast. They crash together and form storm cells which, 99% of the time, keep on heading northeast. It is so prevalent that all the trees around the house are leaning northeast. They just grew that way.

But this one storm, it came straight out of the north. Really odd. Seen maybe one other in the last 4 or 5 years. 65-70mph winds, air so full of lightning you could smell the ozone, horizontal rain. When it was over, and we peeped out, huge limbs were down all over the property. Most as thick as my leg – just really huge limbs. Almost had half of one of our trees take out the power lines to the house. I thought that was it.

Next morning, I get a call from our neighbor. He tells me my barn is in his driveway.

Awww, maaan…

About 1/5th of our barn roof on the east side (facing away from us) was ripped off. I took pictures. It’s not just the sheet metal. When the roof went, it took the stringers, the rafters, the joists – everything – and just left a gigantic empty hole. Picked up all that mess and threw it down the driveway of my neighbor, taking out a couple sections of our new fence along the way… the winds were so strong and convoluted, they tore one of the doors on a horse stall free… it’s just hanging there. I have no idea how that happened… the sheet metal for the rest of the roof was all popped loose and hanging there from the storm, so I suppose that’s why the rest of the roof is more-or-less still there…

So, no rest for the weary… tin snips, screw gun, chainsaw and a wheelbarrow are in my future for today…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Oh I am so sorry about that! It sounds just like a hurricane. You will be using all the same tool I use after I go though a hurricane. So I know how that feels. Only we here in South Florida get them at 100 to 140 mph. Hurricane Andrew was 140 mph with tornadoes in the center.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Malgus – Gosh sorry to hear about that. We had one of those storms summer before last a Derechio or whatever – vertical rain and straight line wind. Took out many trees. Thankfully not any outbuildings or barns. Slow and easy – don’t hurt yourself!

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay wrote : “One question, are there something like “idiot traps” in South Africa? You mentioned the criminal pushed the panic button himself. How effective are things like pressure mats and similar traps that could be easy to spot but they still work because your criminals arent the sharpest tools in the shed?”

Most people have got a panic button that need to be pushed for a complete two seconds for the signal to go through to control room. They hang it under their clothes around their neck. Banks do have certain procedures, codes and buttons. Armed response will respond to an alarm or panic button being activated, if they find the client safe they will ask a question, if not answered correctly they know the client is not safe and criminals is still in the house, maybe holding other people hostage. Security guards also use code names or answer in a predetermined way if they are in trouble over the radio. Unfortunately most criminals do their homework before hitting big places. They get inside information from employees or their own informants about traps and procedures. They will also test responds time from police and security. But people owning shops and employees get to know their tricks as well. If a clever security guard is being asked for the time or directions – he move away from the person, put his back to  the closest wall and start observing.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Today is rotate the critters day in their portable, electrified enclosures – to new grass. Tromp through the woods and count the pigs/account for them, make sure they are ok. Then, start prepping the large turn out for planting.

Tools required: Oilskin duster coat (raining), rubberized fingered gloves, rubber boots, hammer, cable ties, cattle prod and a great deal of calm and patience!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Going to the range this morning with my son to sight in his new AR15.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Still busy with some house related things. Just planning the garden and trying to find the right trees to plant. We should have better Internet the day after tomorrow.

Here is a picture I took today about 20 minutes from our new home in the woods.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.