Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Military Clothing Treatment System” – Ran across this today. Will be ordering come payday!
    Robin

http://www.scs-mall.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-5-Pack-Military-Style-Treatment-Kit/productinfo/SP653/

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Garden Hose!
    Reading some tips this morning got me wondering how many people living in homes (bldg. or apt) that have hot water heaters. If that is you then go buy a short, cheap garden hose. When SHTF drain all the “cold” water you can. DO NOT TOUCH the hot water valve. Take your garden hose and screw it onto the drain plug of your hot water heater. Stretch out the hose to a desired length to fill any container you may have. Try to keep the length short as possible, cut off extra length.
    Robin

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Might want to plan on the first bit of water coming out of that drain being nasty. Most hot water heaters have a lot of calcium deposits and sediments in the bottom of them unless they have been properly maintained. Once they areflushed out though it’s not too bad.

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Robin wrote:</div>“Military Clothing Treatment System” – Ran across this today. Will be ordering come payday!<br>
    Robin

http://www.scs-mall.com/Sawyer-Permethrin-5-Pack-Military-Style-Treatment-Kit/productinfo/SP653/

GREAT idea–better try it out for awhile before you have no choice–plant allergies are not rare, and wearing this against your skin could give a hellaceous rash if you’re allergic to this plant…

Profile photo of feral hobbit
    feral hobbit
    Survivalist
    member2

I have started getting salt and sugar. Salt especially as sugar can be found more readily in SHTF. I am also working on a way to distill alcohol. Purely for fuel and antiseptic…….

I never throw away books. I especially never pass up old textbooks. In SHTF the internet may not be so readily available. I recently acquired an old encyclopedia set from my wife’s grandmother. I have also kept my wife’s books from college covering nursing, first aid (paramedic), and anatomy/physiology. I have many fiction books. I also have textbooks on biblical Greek and Hebrew. I have multiple history books, elementary english/grammar, High School Algebra, French I, Spanish I, and many children’s books. I am keeping all my textbooks from my education as an electrician. I also have kept all my training manuals from the Marine Corps and all (and I mean ALL) of the training manuals from my father’s 40 or so years in the Corps and in the National Guard. TONS and TONS of military manuals. Everything ranging from E5 (Marine Corps CUP 1st mar div Vietnam, and Army), he’s had the training. I am fortunate to have such an experienced mentor and team member.

...it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts...

Profile photo of oldfatguy
    oldfatguy
    Survivalist
    member2

You can see how to make alcohol from baking yeast, sugar and water on Youtube. There are even tutorials on how to make a still. Remember, if you’re in the US, making alcohol for human consumption can carry criminal penalties, for fuel, the licensing process is easier, and then you’re legal…

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

feral hobbit, I have similarly saved many many books. All the electronic stuff can disappear in a SHTF scenario. The books will endure.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Save all the PDF in a drive. If you can start printing them. MountainBiker is right, sometime you can buy cheaper than what it will cost to print.

Profile photo of RSSwizard
    RSSwizard
    Survivalist
    member3

Save all the PDF in a drive.

In a pinch you can also keep the computer around to look up that stuff too. This is my plan because I cant afford to print stuff, I do have a ton of PDFs about functional stuff though.

But this is difficult to do if your computer if a Tablet or E-Reader. I believe people who have IPads and Samsung and Android and other tablet PCs are going to be S-O-L in alot of ways.

I think that was part of the plan for them, and with cloud computing, when they started pushing those technologies. To make any computers people had in a shtf scenario practically useless because they dont work so well in standalone.

A Power Inverter is required to use a solar panel but it can also be used to draw power from a car battery (gee I wonder how many of Those will be laying around). Power Inverter costs about $30-70 depending where you get it, I saw it for $25 once at walmart in the electronic section next to the cell phones.

>>> Another thing I think people forget, or have not been exposed to and I know this keenly because im homeless . . . you better keep your Clothes and Fabrics dry.

Or they will Mold.

While you’re much more likely to keep your Clothes in perfect working order, your Bedding and Sheets may suffer this fate, because they will usually sit in one place all the time.

You’ll be surprised how fast you will sacrifice Washing Clothes/Bedding in exchange for using that soap to keep your Body clean. You might only be washing your clothes once every 2 weeks.

If you are outdoors in a bugout place, if you’re in a Tent especially, you run this risk even if you try to keep your stuff dry. At night time, and when it rains, it is more humid than normal. It may get colder too. Condensation will make your crap wet even if you keep it dry.

And it may not dry out either. If it rains off and on for 5 days straight you wont be able to hang it up. If it just stays nasty and hot and humid you may leave camp and come back later in the day only to find that your stuff didnt dry off one bit, even hanging out on a line. Or maybe tthere’s the daily rain shower that lasts for 30 minutes and will make sure your clothes stay wet.

(and on a minor note, hanging out clothes makes you a bigger target for being spotted if you were trying to prevent people from seeing your place)

Likewise a Tent wall which has been treated with water repellant will still generate Condensation on the inside, when cold rain falls on it. Then you’ve got water in your tent. Even if it dont get your stuff wet it may collect under the tarp and that will breed fungus which will spread in the tent by spores.

Making this long story short
    Get Bedding which is made out of poly materials so that it will be very hard for mold and mildew to attach to it.

I am currently sleeping on a padded dark-plaid-colored Picnic Blanket, which is foldable and can be zipped up into a Pillow shape. The bottom of it smells a little bit now but after (how long has it been? maybe 4 months?) it has endured like a champion and I got it for $10. I think the original intention for it was to be something like you bring with you to a football stadium because it was on a stand next to a bunch of football stuff.

Just imagine having 5 of them for $50. And as a Poly material it dries out faster than normal material.

Another thing, if you have an Inflatable Mattress, keep it even when it eventually gets a hole in it (and it will, and you wont find the hole to patch it). It makes a good additional tarp for laying on. I kept mine.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

For eyeglass wearer’s Croakies. Under to many conditions it’s imperative to keep your glasses where they belong without the need to adjust them. If you have dirty contaminated hands you can’t push your glasses up or touch them. Running or shooting, etc. To many situations to cover in a post.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

THAT’s what there called? Huh, learn something new everyday. But good suggestion 74 – dont’ know what I’d do without mine. I have to wear sunglasses all year round. Eyes sensitive/too much sun, squinting/massive headaches. Hard to live without these things now.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Old Fat Guy:
    Most places don’t require a license to make under a certain quantity of alcohol for personal consumption.

You don’t need the still for beers or wine, but for hard liquors its needed.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hey 74, thanks for the info on the name too, didn’t know the name was Croakies.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I haven’t been using them for a long time but was immediately reminded when I was washing out a barrel. My glasses slipped down numerous times. I could push them back with the back of my glove, but I was extremely aware of the what problem it would present if it was dangerous to do.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I save old leather boots, shoes and purses, not a lot but enough to make small leather items when needed. As a kid I used the tongues of old shoes for the pouches on sling shots. Now I make an odd thing now and then like the pictures below. The holster I converted using a poorly designed one into a usable piece. The ammo holder is sewed on a regular sewing machine.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.