Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Jay, the organic veggie marketing is a great idea. Money usually drives decisions, unfortunately. Much of commercial agricultural production today is based on mechanization/petrol based fertilizers/pesticides. Can the world be fed if we go totally organic? I hope so because that’s how I grow my own garden. (Well, a little Sevin in reserve if a horde of bugs take over and I am totally dependent on my harvest…but not yet.) I am not happy eating commercially produced food because I know the way much of it is raised–esp the “no till” method where everything from the previous year is killed off with RoundUp, and the new seeds planted in the dead stubble (and poison residue…)

My brother in Australia has a firm “Trust Nature” that promotes organic farming/ permaculture/ bacterial teas and sprays. His theory is that natural plants have an ecosystem of bacteria/fungi etc on them which actually promote their health. Pesticides kill everything, even the beneficial organisms. He looks at nature as holistic, with most organisms playing a part, making up the whole.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I truly enjoy this forum…

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Has anyone else heard anything in their states about putting meters on private wells? There have been some rumblings of it here in Texas. They say the water tables are dropping because the population is growing faster than water can soak back into the uderground aquifers. I understand what they are saying but I don’t expect a warm reception for them when they try to regulate a well they didn’t pay for.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Back in 2004 a few local governments made the mistake of asking a water control authority to come here, North Texas, and check out the possibility of a reservoir. Well, now there is a central body that governs what you can
    do with your well on private property.
    How did this happen? Like boiling a frog: if you throw a frog into boiling water it will jump out. First put the frog
    in the pan, add water and slowly increase temp.

Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

@wildartist sounds like your brother is really into permaculture. That’s great, its something we want to work with on our homestead too!

@robin and @matt76
    This seriously sounds like a nightmare. You have your own well, probably paid quite a bit to get it drilled and suddenly some government guy shows up at your front door and you have to install a meter that they come to check on a regular basis.

Seriously… if that would happen I would just move to a place where this does not happen if possible…

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Matt76, a handful of years back, Denver water board was requiring meters on all farm ag wells, and the capping of some 2-3000 to make sure nobody got too much and shorted Nebraska, Vegas or California.

Where I used to live, eastern CO, and same as here, water wars are no laughing matter. People are kiled over something as simple as a flood gate being closed.

Here, a local welder is being threatened by the , gov for a stock pond he put in legally. Facing $75, 000 fines per day.
    The .gov overreach is getting dangerous.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay, these folks never knew what hit them. This area is on the Red River. Texas is now saying they are not getting the agreed amount of water from a lake on the river so they want to pipe water from East Oklahoma to make up the shortage.
    I have no problem with water. On site Is a 75 acre lake, I am on the bluffs above a river and I have an old wooden water tower (type you would say was for a steam train) and a capped deep well.
    The local government types that started all this were trying to come up with a way to replace an aging water treatment plant.

Robin

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

One of our local acquaintances sells agricultural software to major commercial farms around the world. He lives on an inherited farm here in OK which is valuable to him as well as meaningful because of heritage. He mentioned to us that he foresees governments everywhere usurping rights to everything on private property except the first few feet of surface. Especially water resources. In the scheme of things, water is far more crucial than oil for our continued existence. They want to control it. And by extension, us.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Wildartist – Read an article today that Dallas will be putting in a pipeline to a small town on their South side. The town is creating a import/tax free zone and needs more water pressure. Means more farms/ranches/rural towns will be footing the bill and losing more land.

Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I just came across this article… World Bank Wants Water Privatized, Despite Risks

Pretty shocking.

The World Bank Group is uniquely positioned to increase access to clean water for the billions who need it. Instead of using its position to line the pockets of water companies, it should support what is most needed: affordable, clean — and public — water for all.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Sounds altruistic. But any huge entity “regulating” or “overseeing” such a crucial resource is extremely dangerous.

Remember, Communism was supposed to make everyone equal and happy…distributing wealth and land to all. Yeah, right.

Human nature seeks power. Power comes from strength and control. I don’t trust anyone that far (well, maybe Bushrat ;) )

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.