Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

This is a great article on Water Storage, Purification, Filtration & Winter. Has a lot of information needed for storing and filtering water.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/prepping-101-water-storage-purification-filtration-winter/

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I’m posting here mainly to elevate Freedom’s January 2015 post to “current” status. What’s happening right now in South Carolina points out – again – the need to have water storage and a means of obtaining water safe for drinking in a SHTF situation. With the massive rain and resulting power outages in South Carolina, water mains have been broken, and water treatment/pumping stations are out. There are massive numbers of people being told to boil their water, yet boiling only kills bacteria and, perhaps, some viruses. It may boil off some volatile chemicals, but whatever might have gotten into contaminated water is still going to be there for the most part other than those substances/critters. And boiling uses precious fuel to heat the water.

I strongly favor the Black Berkey water filters, and a home-made water filter system constructed of two 5-gallon buckets (at least the lower one being food grade). It’s easy to get several gallons per day, if the top bucket remains filled in order to facilitate gravity feeding through the filters, particularly if you use four filters instead of just two in the system. And the Berkey filters have the best specifications I’ve been able to find for ANY filters available at almost any price. At about $109/pair currently, they SEEM expensive. But when you figure that each pair is rated by the company to filter 6000 gallons of water safely, even if over a several year period in a low-use situation, that works out to less than 2¢ per gallon.

I posted a rainwater collection and storage system elsewhere in the Forum that can also be reviewed if interested. But be sure to go through the ideas in Freedom’s link as well. If you don’t have water, you aren’t going to live but a matter of days. And if you don’t have clean water, you might live and wish you didn’t.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Another reason I chose Maine for relocation , good annual rainfall , snow melt , cleanest natural water in the US .

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Tolik – great choice in Maine relocation. We enjoy our visit there every time. If I had to relocate back East Maine would be strong contender. Enjoying my location in Pacific Northwest and Alaska….plenty of water among other things (ie hunting and fishing).

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by chester chester.
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you have electricity you can use these water distillers http://www.h2olabs.com/ or http://waterdistillers.com/survival-fire-distiller-non-electric-steam-water-distiller/ that doesn’t need electricity.

Here is an article Why Distill Your Own Water? http://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/why-distill-your-own-water/

Water distillers will clean everything in the water.

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

Ladies and Gentlemen: I have NO financial connection to this company other than they have been my family’s go to source for an excellent source for great water that is stopping LEAD, Mercury, PCB’s, Chlordane, radon, and much more. I change my filter about every ten months, these are very well-made water purifiers:
    the multipure kitchen unit at :
    http://www.multipure.com

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I will post it when I find , but I ran across a 5 gal , 100% copper tank . They also have several copper water bottles . Copper is a natural anti- bacterial metal used for 1000s of years to keep water drinkable .

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

With respect to the Multipure filters, I had a few cautions and concerns. Some (like the expensive whole house filter and the portable water bottle filters) aren’t even designed to remove serious chemical pollutants – they’re only good with already-treated municipal water sources. And while the specs of some of the other filters appear excellent in terms of removal of a long list of chemicals, they’re still only good with water supplied under pressure. From a health standpoint, that’s excellent, of course. But what about a survival situation, where municipal water no longer flows from the pipes in one’s comfortable home?

I looked at the “wriggle Portable Filtered Water Bottle” and noted that for $49.95 a person only gets better tasting water, basically. Yet for around $20-25 one can purchase a LifeStraw and be able to survive in ANY situation with ANY water source, essentially. The “wriggle” only removes or reduces bad tastes, basically, whereas such things as the LifeStraw remove a comprehensive list of chemicals and other contaminants from any kind (or source) of water, including a scummy pond, a gutter, etc. Even those little $25 units will filter up to 1000 liters (264 gallons).

We have chosen to simply fill the top bucket in a homemade Black Berkey filter system with 3-4 gallons of water at a time, and allow that to gravity feed into a 5 gallon bucket on the bottom that has a valve installed on the bottom bucket. It supplies all our drinking and cooking water. Not only is it the best tasting water of any source we’ve ever tried (the finest of the store-bought spring water is no better than this), we can take it elsewhere or even use it if sheltering in place in our home, with no pressurized water source. In a SHTF scenario, there may be no “running” water except that which is “running” in streams and rivers. Then a gravity feed system (or else something like the “LifeStraw” type filter), with a high-quality filter becomes essential – one that removes a long list of chemical contaminants, bacteria and other critters, etc. If the situation warrants survival in our own home but with no municipal water, we’ve got our previously discussed 275 gallons of “raw” water from the roof, replenished with each successive rainfall, and the gravity feed Black Berkey filters when we actually need to drink/cook with it.

(By the way – I noted that the Multipure whole house filter mounts near a water heater. In many houses, the incoming municipal water starts feeding the entire house FAR from where the water heater is. In our situation, the water enters the house near the front, the main shutoff is in a front bathroom, and the cold water supply pipes branch out from there in the concrete slab that runs under the house. The water heater is in the far back corner of the house in a utility closet. Hooking up a Multipure whole house filter at least in our house would only filter the water going to the water heater, thus only supply the hot water outlets. And even then, that filter is only a basic filter, NOT one for extreme filtering of all sorts of chemical contaminants, per the company’s own statement. Read specs carefully if choosing ANY system or device. Personally, after extensive research, we’ve chosen the Black Berkey filters, not even their ceramic or “budget” filters, and I have yet to find any that exceed their specs at a price that could even remotely be considered reasonable for most people. Plus, they last up to 6000 gallons per pair, regardless of how long they’re in place.)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.