Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

We can go without food but water it is only a few days and you are unable to defend yourself a few more and you die terribly. What have you done to make sure you have secure and safe drinking water?

Purification techniques

Pool shock tab the ones without algae control
    Big berkey water filters 10 plus cartridges of both heavy metal and carbon
    katydyne filters for on the road 10 sets with hand pumps
    ozone bubblers that run off 24v dc

storage
    reservoir at house (a concrete poured tank) that has over 1000, gallons with ozone purification
    bottled water 1000 gallons from 5 gallon to .5L
    3 bathtub liners that can be filled
    a hot tub that can be used to store the full bath tub liners.

water sources

manual pump inside house that goes to well. have a bicycle hook up for pedal power
    river a major head water passes by property ( bought water rights for both domestic and agricultural) use a ram pump to get water up, it uses no electricity and goes vertically over 40 feet plus horizontal travel.
    heavy dew each day
    rain water collection with switch inside and outside storage
    grey water systems for green house.

http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/Equip/ram.htm ( ram pump design)

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the link on the manual pump, I copied it and will be studying it.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

namelus, you are well prepared indeed!

For anyone here that is not familiar with the bathtub liners, here is what I bought:

http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;jsessionid=91245AB255E87D1C91D15883C515CE9D

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

So there is this river that goes through my neighbourhood. Went to go have a look at it. Homeless grunts living by the river. Place smells like a sewer. Caught a homeless dude in the middle of his morning dump while he was typing on his smart phone in the reeds. :/ Might have to rethink water sources…

That quote from a gent in Gauteng SA.

They’ve been without water for days now.
    Seems those who didn’t plan ahead are making the usual mess of everything. But hey, TIA.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Thank you Namelus. I’ve saved and printed the pump design. Been looking for designs for some time. I’ve been send a waterbob. It is something a grab and fill the minute I realize the water is off.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Leopard, We here in the U.S. are preparing for when the SHTF, you are in the SHTF time everyday.

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Another emergency backup that I never would have considered before I had one: try to be on friendly terms with any close neighbors with a pool, either above or in-ground. In a SHTF, water is water, and it can be purified. Right now I have 20,000 gallons just sitting in the backyard. I have plenty stored in refillable containers inside, but that backup makes me feel a lot better.

Security through obscurity would be my goal. Being built into the side of a hill our pool isn’t visible until you are right there, so covering it with the winter cover and camouflaging it with regular yard debris would make it look like any other part of the ground. The tarp could be pulled up in one corner to refill.

The idea of a WaterBob went out the window for me when we experienced a total grid failure here. In normal circumstances when we lose power, we still have water (since the pumping station is usually in a neighboring community farther than where the power outage is located), but a grid-wide failure means we have zero water to even fill up a WaterBob. When the power goes out completely, absolutely everything stops.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Amanda, what is the protocol for using pool water in an emergency? Do you shock it first and then put it through a Berkey (or other filter)? I think I have my water situation in pretty good shape but the neighbor across the road has a pool and it would be good if I knew how to help them best use it. I assume their 1st choice would be using my hand pump getting their water from my well and their 2nd choice would be just taking water from the river running behind their house (always crystal clear….one of the nice things about northern New England), but the pool is there and we should know how to use it.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Looks like a lot of work, but if pool water is all one has, then so be it. Plan A is water from my well which doesn’t need to be filtered. Plan B is water from the river across the road which is easily filtered given it is sediment-free.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, The Berkey will filter the water even if it is green, the pool water is going to turn green fast and that is OK. It will be like river water. You have water everywhere so I would use the other water.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Freedom, I was only curious about the proper way to treat pool water being a neighbor has a pool. I can’t see how we’d ever want to use it given better sources available to us but it is always good to know such stuff.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

Quite a few years ago I lived on a farm in the mountains – good old days. We had water running straight from a mountain steam, through a wire mesh into a water pipe. We had it tested and it almost had no ecoli. Nothing added it run straight into our taps with gravitation. The stream did not even run dry during winter. We did not even have a water tank. Except if the water pressure dropped or it started tasting a bit sweet. We would walk up the mountain to find the wire mesh (somewhat of a filter) is gone. That replaced we start opening the ‘T-junctions’ in the pipe to find the frog… !
    If the water was muddy the bush pig got lazy and bit straight through the pipe – we would walk up following the pipe line, listening for the hissing sound of either the water from broken pipeline or puff adders.

My info is in Afrikaans, Mountain Biker. Maybe this link will be helpful http://www.i4at.org/surv/watersup.htm

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Leopard. I printed it out for future reference as may be needed and made a mental note to buy some fresh bleach. I don’t toss the old stuff as old bleach can still serve a useful purpose.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

We catch rainwater in a portable pool and rain barrels for water security. This water is normally used for watering the gardens but in an emergency it could be boiled or treated. I would normally just boil water, use a SteriPEN, or use the SODIS method with a glass container. (I also have a portable reverse osmosis filter, which I have never used.) If I had to chemically treat some water, I would use Lugol’s Solution which I keep in my medical kit for treating wounds. (Iodine is not safe for everyone and shouldn’t be used for long term water treatment.) If I had to treat a large amount of water, I got a big pail of “Pool Shock”! The Pool Shock is also good for making a powerful bleach solution.

More about SODIS: http://akvopedia.org/wiki/UV_treatment_/_Solar_disinfection_%28SODIS%29.

The picture is of my old pool. We just replaced it with a pool about twice the size. Hey, if you know anyone in Kamloops, BC, Canada that wants a FREE pool, have them contact me.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.