Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Using new readings of seismic waves travelling through Earth’s underground, the team suggests the blob is welling directly under central Vermont, but it extends into western New Hampshire and also western Massachusetts.
    . . .
    There’s still a lot to learn about this mass and its behaviour, but the researchers say their findings challenge what we think we know about geological conditions under this Atlantic margin of North America – and how passive we wrongly assumed it to be.”

Be watchful, MB (and Tolik – Maine is perilously close!) – you’ve got your own mini-Yellowstone right underneath your feet. There is still plenty of pristine swampland down here in the South you could buy as a bug out location if needed. This dangerous “blob” could erupt as soon as – well, many, many lifetimes from now (long after SHTF wipes us all out anyway). LOL! You’ve been appropriately “alerted.”

https://www.sciencealert.com/mysterious-blob-of-hot-rock-building-up-underneath-vermont-new-england

[Sorry – couldn’t resist posting this, since some “important” publication calling itself “Science Alert” – I love the title – has now done its duty and given us our long overdue alert warning. After all, the sinister folks behind the journal Geology have been sitting on this story since August! Even National Geographic held it from public knowledge for over 3 months.]
    [Tongue-in-cheek/REMOVED]

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Just when I haven’t been here for a few days the good stuff gets posted. That blob is right beneath where I live. Good thing we’ve got that extra heat or maybe it’d have gotten real cold last week instead of only hitting 6 below zero one day. Going below zero every night next week starting Tuesday, hitting double digits below at least one night. Being I”ll be working outside at my son’s house construction site next week I’d appreciate it if the blob would warm it up a tad, at least into positive numbers.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Mother G. Goose! I just chose Killington, at random, and looked at WeatherUnderground, and I see that next Wednesday they have a forecast HIGH of 1°F. Nope, nope, NOPE! I can’t even let my brain even TRY to remember back to what that felt like! Been there (Buffalo, anyway), done that, ain’t havin’ none of it. I’ll bet you wish that ol’ blob would just push its way up under some of the lakes and streams and give you some nice warm running water.

Seriously, I hope everyone stays safe, that vehicles work and/or communication with the rest of the world remains intact in case of emergency. That’s flat out dangerous. Don’t know how the folks in Siberia or Alaska do it, but somehow they do. My grandfather served with the Army Expeditionary Forces in Siberia during WWI (Intelligence Service), but he never talked much about it, so I don’t know how he did it, either. Sincerely though, I hope Christmas is otherwise a very comfortably warm experience for you all, more than just temperature-wise.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Killington is pretty close to me. You’ve just gotten soft there GS. Its supposed to get cold in winter. Its about 20 right now and snowing heavily, a beautiful winter wonderland. Its nice and toasty inside with the woodstove. Going to get messy tomorrow though with freezing rain so power outages are a possibility. I feel bad for the power company guys who’ will have to work on Christmas if need be. It’ll be too cold next week to not go full bore restoring any outages.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Not so much soft as old. Circulation in lower legs and feet is an issue, and nobody can pinpoint the reason so far (it acts like diabetes, but it’s definitely not). I’d have lost all feeling in both feet by now in that environment. So, I figure I might as well take maximum advantage of the environment here in the South. I’ll enjoy the snow in photos. ;-)

I agree about the power folks. My wife’s father worked for the power company his entire life after returning from WWII, and I’ve heard the stories about the kinds of weather he had to go out in – including severe thunderstorms. He was back in the days of belts and other manual climbing equipment – no hydraulic lift trucks back in those days, at least most of his career, and he was beyond line work in his career by the time those came along. We hear so much about about first responders (deservedly so), but those folks that are out braving the elements to restore power are risking a great deal under very difficult and even dangerous conditions. I watched one guy working right outside our window where I worked before I retired, up on a pole next to a transformer for whatever reason (in a bucket, actually), and saw the bright flash around his hands. Somehow he lived and even remained conscious, but he couldn’t even manipulate the controls to get himself back down due to the shock and the serious burns on his arms. Don’t know what went wrong, but even if he was careless, it was an awful thing to watch. And we had a serious ice storm several years back that caused a large tree limb to take down the feeder line to our house. It ripped the anchor out of the fascia board, and the entire line out of the bricks, including the meter itself – it was all on the ground, and one side of the 220 was still hot. I was fortunate to get an electrician out quickly who was able to run an entirely new line up the wall and through the attic down to the breaker box, and even with all the widespread outages that day, the power company had us back up and connected before I went to bed that night. Absolutely amazing folks. Whenever there’s a hurricane in the southeast or even as far as TX, I watch the convoys of power trucks leaving our area and heading out to assist other companies. I have utmost respect and appreciation for them. I hope the ice doesn’t materialize.

GS

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Don’t know how the folks in Siberia or Alaska do it, but somehow they do. My grandfather served with the Army Expeditionary Forces in Siberia during WWI (Intelligence Service), but he never talked much about it, so I don’t know how he did it, either.

In cold places like Siberia, Fairbanks and Fargo it is all about the really cool looking furry hats…..

Just saying.

http://ageofdecadence.com

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

it is all about the really cool looking furry hats…..

LOL! :-)

GS

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes it is about the hats. This is what I wear. Keeps my head warm on the coldest of days, and North woods fashionable too.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42302?feat=502860-GN3&page=mad-bomber-hat-buffalo-plaid&csp=f&attrValue_0=Red/Black&productId=722095

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

GS, the forecast for the coming week just gets colder and colder. My local forecast has it dropping below zero every day for a week, as low as -16 one night, which likely means a couple degrees colder at my house as we are always a couple degrees cooler winter & summer than the town next to me which is the closest weather station. I will admit at -16 you have to be careful not to breath too deeply or expose skin. Good thing I have my hat like sledjockey says.

GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Just so you know, it hasn’t always been this way for me. I still well remember a pitch black morning around 5:00 when I went out to run my usual daily winter 5 miles in between track and cross country season. It was -5° outside. How my lungs survived that, I have no idea, but I found it very peaceful and exhilarating out doing a solo run that early in those days, when hardly anyone was even awake, let along outside. I guess I remember that specific run because of the triple-5 combination: 5 o’clock, 5 miles, and -5°. I even remember the route I took (a fairly standard one when I wanted to “just” do 5 miles before school). As Archie and Edith used to sing, “Those were the days.”
    :-)

GS

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

No humor today. a 2.8 earthquake hit new hampshire on feb 15 at 9:28 a.m. Considering the pole shift and general earthquake picture, there’s no reason the northeast couldn’t have a few more. Up near the canadian border near plattesburg theres a fault. We had one Eq in central ny where the ground bounced our car around in rolling waves. Since then I make it a habit to stay out of the old brick buildings on the mainstreets in the small towns. Big one, I’d pick somewhere else like SF but a 200 year jello quake, we’re probably overdue. Frozen baked and dented, thats the future. Upstate, after our secession, will be to cold in winter for all the homeless to sleep on the park benches.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Red dragon of wales awakens. 5 magnitude EQ. To be downgraded soon. 7.5 mag near oaxaca mexico. The world is shaking.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I survived the earthquake Brulen. Didn’t know it happened until I saw it on the news but I survived nonetheless. If I recall there is a fault off of Cape Ann (Rockport/Gloucester area of Boston’s North Shore) that had a 6+ quake in 1755 so you never know I suppose.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.