Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Pretty interesting study.

Abstract
    Previous research has shown that victims display characteristic body language, specifically in their walking style (Grayson & Stein, 1981). Individuals scoring higher on the interpersonal/affective aspects of psychopathy (Factor 1) are more accurate at judging victim vulnerability simply from viewing targets walking (Wheeler, Book, & Costello, 2009). The present study examines the relation between psychopathy and accuracy in assessing victim vulnerability in a sample of inmates from a maximum security penitentiary in Ontario, Canada. Forty-seven inmates viewed short video clips of targets walking and judged how vulnerable each target was to victimization. Higher Factor 1 psychopathy scores (as measured by the PCL-R; Hare 2003) were positively related to accuracy in judging victim vulnerability. Contrary to research with noninstitutional participants (Wheeler et al., 2009), inmates higher on Factor 1 of psychopathy were more likely to rationalize their vul-nerability judgments by mentioning the victim’s gait. Implications of these findings are discussed.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Very interesting, Jay. And should be remembered especially by us women. Predators in nature and in “civilization” are constantly searching for prey. Mincing along in high heels and not paying attention is asking for trouble in some areas. And now, too many people are lost in cell-phone land, and totally unaware of their surroundings.

Check out my post several days ago at the end of Malgus’ thread about bad guys in Dirtville, USA. (Personal Experience section.)

Some women on another forum were debating whether to look strong and self-confident, or weaker and non-threatening. My choice is to look like someone who will hurt anyone who tries to hurt me. I think most will not try. So far, so good (71 years… ;) )

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The articles reference to gait is a simple observation of the potential victims physicality and coordination. Someone that is weak, unfit and uncoordinated will picked over a more athletic moving person. Walk like a stud.

Victims can be chosen for other reasons like being unobservant, alone, etc.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

“if you look like food you will be eaten”~ Clint Smith

For years the “decoy” officers in major cities got themselves mugged repeatedly every day. How?

By looking like a prey animal.

Don’t look like food.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If there is a SHTF you have to be the hunter not the prey.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

8 fit guys , all tacked out with black balaclavas and AKs …..may not be their first choice for victims , something to be said for numbers and arms .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, you are right in a SHTF you need numbers of people. You can’t do it on your own.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

When SHTF difference between being victim or not (or being attacked or not) is mostly matter of “is it worth?” words.
    So someone will attack you if they see that there is sense to attack you calculating between risk of getting harmed and how much they can gain from attack.
    There is no simple rule, so sometimes there is no sense of showing to them that you are worth of attack, and sometimes there is sense of showing that they gonna pay very high price for attacking you.
    Being “not worth” attacking is always first “defense”, second would be showing on very clear manner that you are capable of doing harm, and that you have will for that.

And of course strength is in numbers.

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

I intend to attract as little attention as possible. However, being 6 feet tall weighing 270 lbs makes me noticeable.

I truly hate to fight and will avoid it if possible. But when I have no choice I am all in. If I reach the point where I have decided I must fight I become someone I do not like. I literally step outside myself and it is like I am watching someone else do what has to be done. He is cold and calculating and will do horrible things to people without a second thought. Frankly, that guy scares the **** out of me and is the main reason I will avoid fighting if I can.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pheonix, You are a big man, my father always told me to not be afraid of the big man, to be afraid of the little man because he carry’s a big stick! So always be on the look out for what the little guy is carrying. Since the small one always carry big weapons.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I agree with you Wildartist. Women I believe have a bit different set of problems to think about.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tweva & Wild,
    For sure you are right. God created man and Sam Colt made them equal (women too).

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

1974t150v – not just Same Colt – but also using your common sense and understanding/acknowledging the base instincts of man

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Sharpen your senses. When walking, in a group or alone, keep your head on a swivel. Pay attention to areas on your left and right.
    If the hairs on the back of your neck tingle then turn around and walk away.

Robin

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

IMHO Selco I think said it all. You can be aware of danger, you can walk confidently etc. You can even be visibly armed. But unless your determination to use your weapon is transmitted completely outward (and just ’cause you carry a weapon doesn’t mean it is) so it can be almost felt? You stand just as much chance of getting attacked if not just to relieve you of your weapon…or even, because they ‘feel’ like it.

When people are on drugs/drunk, scared sh*tless by a SHTF world, desperate, have nothing to lose I’d say all bets are basically off. The level of irrational behavior will be staggering I have no doubt.

‘Being “not worth” attacking is always first “defense”, second would be showing on very clear manner that you are capable of doing harm, and that you have will for that

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.