February 8, 2017 at 5:27 pm #51191
A long time ago I worked as a fix-it guy in remote locations in the middle of sprawling wheat fields. One hot summer day I was out working a site with battery power and needed some water to refill the cells. I called to have someone deliver a gallon to me, and proceeded with other maintenance tasks. A short time later, an old geezer drove up and dropped off a gallon jug with no label. As it was a particularly warm day, I had already consumed most of my drinking water, and was pondering whether I should chug some of what was brought up (water to refill batteries has to be pretty pure or it is worse that worthless). An angel spoke into my ear that I should make sure I have enough water to top off the cells first, then I could drink any left over. So I proceeded to fill the first cell. Upon pouring in the liquid, there came an eruption of green ooze out of the cell and the distinct odor of chlorine wafted over me. I had to leave the little shed promptly and could only watch as the eruption poured over the concrete floor and continued to produce a noxious cloud.
I said an angel spoke to me, because I was pretty thirsty and would not normally have thought first to prioritize the battery filling ahead of personal needs. As I pondered what was going on, I made a call down to find out what was in the jug. After some time, I was informed that there were two jugs prepped for delivery, one was the water I requested, the other was 10 molar muriatic (hydrochloric) acid. The old geezer had confused the two. Had I chugged from the jug like I wanted to, it would’ve probably cored out my insides within a minute, and I’d have suffered a miserable, lonely death on that hill. After I was told of the mix up, I sat on on the tailgate of my rig, pondering life for a good long while. I was smart enough even at that time to realize how close I had just come.
Make sure of the contents before you commit. You may not be able to take it back. Replacing the ruined batteries was a lot of extra work, but fixable. Dying like that is not an experience anyone needs to go through. You can’t fix stupid.February 8, 2017 at 8:37 pm #51195
Reminds me of the ending of a poem…..
……And what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.
Sometimes ones luck is all that is between you and being a warning to others.February 9, 2017 at 4:55 am #51199
Sometimes even labels aren’t even trustworthy – repackaging or re-use of packaging can be disastrous. Thanks Benjammin – good reminder. Glad you listened to that still, small voice – ‘Twasn’t luck.
"Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."February 9, 2017 at 6:39 pm #51209
Excellent reminder. Thankful that you didn’t follow your first impulse. Also applies to your target while hunting. A bullet cannot be recalled…February 9, 2017 at 6:49 pm #51212
Excellent advice all.February 16, 2017 at 5:21 am #51286
Always carry activated charcoal in your first aid kit. Poison is a weapon. Sometimes you can’t verify the contents first. You trust everything is ok, people around you are trustworthy, but then you get really sick or start vomiting, feeling strange. Someone may have poisoned you. It’s very difficult to prove. Just a suspicion. Or is it. All kinds of pharma drugs are around. Spiked drinks and date rape are out there. Just reading about Kim’s Uns half brother Kim Nam and thought I’d mention it.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.