Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

I’m 40 something living on a boat in the coast of southern Texas. The biggest nearby city is Corpus Christi. We are about the same latitude as Orlando, Florida. For those outside the USA, as a reference, we are about the same latitude as central Egypt. So, it’s fairly warm here most of the year. If things get rough, the riot stops at the pier. I don’t have to go far, just find some coastal or island spot out of way and anchor or tie up to a tree.

I live on the ICW (Intracoastal Waterway). For those unfamiliar with this, most of the eastern coast of the USA is a shallow, often swampy, series of coastal estuaries with bays and barrier islands that over many decades has been linked together and developed into an almost continuous waterway where one can travel on the water from Mexico to Maine without having to expose your vessel to the open ocean for most of that distance. However, if I needed to, I could exit the ICW between the barrier islands and get out onto the open ocean and head someplace.

In terms of survival the local environment offers both marine and land resources. Many fresh water rivers empty into the area so there are also those as a resource. Wild game is in abundance, and if you are someplace for a while, depending upon where you are at you can also grow a garden, with long growing seasons allowing you to generally getting in more than one crop per year. The Texas coast has the largest oyster beds in the USA. The local area is a sport fishing and duck hunting mecca attracting sportsmen from all over Texas and points beyond. Aside from birds, fish, and shrimp, there are are alligators, nutria, wild pigs, and deer in abundance.

There is surfing, but due to the shallow, sloping coastal topography, the waves on the beach just aren’t what they are in California or Hawaii. However, on a windy day on the side of a barrier island facing the open ocean, you can get some fun in. This area of the USA is one of the least effected by the recession so far.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Vep. You add yet another living style and location to the group. Having lots of perspectives and experiences is very helpful.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Hello and welcome.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Vep. I am looking forward to hearing more of your life-style. Ron S

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Vep, and welcome here!

Profile photo of hillbilly chic
    hillbilly chic
    Survivalist
    member2

hey vep nice to meet you ive been to the inner coastal canal got kin in blessed tx boy they say if u dont like tx just stay awhile they aint kidding the tekp drops 30 or 40 degrees at the drop of a hat on the mainland like to froze to death but oceans beautiful loved that those little blue jellies are dangerous little creatures tho wqw my first husband spent some time at rolloffs said you could sling out a hook and drag in fish 2 at the time good eatin your style of livin sounds real intresting like to hear some more welcome these folks are great

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Welcome, Vep.

I’m also big on human and sail powered vessels. I know of the intracoastal waterway that goes from Canada and the US. I have always dreamed of taking a boat from the Great Lakes through the ICW to the Gulf of Mexico. :) Here’s some more information for people that have never heard of the ICW or the Great Loop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

My sailing, canoeing and kayaking experience is on the Pacific Coast between the San Juan Islands to the south and Glacier Bay to the north. Most of my experience is on the lower and central coast of BC. I love the area. I have missed the ocean over the last eight years living inland.

I very much agree that the ocean is a wonderful place of plenty for the knowledgeable. I have always been surprised at how I can go on the water and leave civilization — and all the people behind. The water is a great barrier for 98% of people. Don’t get me wrong. The water can be an evil place that serves up death to the unwary. But there is so much space up in the north. People have no idea how big the country really is when you get away from the cities and roadways.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome Yep, I am very interested in what you know in that area and the gulf of Mexico since I live in Florida.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hello Vep,
    welcome to the forum. Looking forward to read more about your preps.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.