Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Trust me, no matter how badly you eat now, it is far better than what your alternatives are.

Before I did my little stint, I had the luxury of training a lot in self-defense and getting in the best shape I’ve ever been in. Like, 6 hours of rigorous workout a day, minimum. I am a small guy (approx. 130-135 at 5’8″ naturally), but I put on a lot of muscle before going in–about 155-160. I felt great, my mind was clear, and I could do just about anything.

Well, the food you get when you’re locked up is…s***ty. It has no nutritional value at all, and is essentially to keep you from starving to death in the state’s care (ironically, on a few occasions, we still didn’t get this minimum).

Within a short amount of time, all that muscle turned to fat, since we were fed literally nothing but grease and carbohydrates. I couldn’t think clearly, I had no energy, and when I did manage to will myself into working out, about 30 pushups would kill me; prior to going in, I was able to do about 300-400 in about 10 minutes. It makes sense, though; why would the state want people it doesn’t trust to be clear-minded and strong-bodied? It simply makes them a bigger threat. If they even suspect you might be any kind of threat at any point, they treat you…not well.

When I got out, I resumed eating healthily and exercising, and although I never got back to that same level of fitness, I am leaps and bounds beyond where I was. It is hard to put into words, but I really had no idea how much nutrition can affect your mood, thinking, and physical well-being.

Especially in the beginning stages of SHTF, you want to be fit and clear-headed. Start now while you can so you can have that edge. I guarantee it is shocking when you no longer have it available.

Hope this helps.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Until now I had prepped by suggestion: “this is better”, “make sure you have this” and “do it this way.”
    By listening to folks such as this forum I now have a solid plan.
    First: Have a menu and stock those items.
    Second: The best knife and gun are the ones you have in your hands.
    Third. If required, drop everything and run.

Hate giving up but it really is only “stuff.” George Carlan was right!

Robin

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Great stuff, Kollaps!

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Kollaps, I can hear what you say, but I can’t wrap my head around this and make the practical application from it. If you are eating well enough that you can keep the clear head and good stamina, but the people around you are dying from starvation, how are you going to not stand out in the crowd? How do you become the gray man when you are eating well and they are not? Help me here, I can’t figure this one out.
    mariowen

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I suffer from a chronic thyroid condition, Hashimoto Thyroiditis, and while its not written anywhere in regular medicine manuals, I can keep an active and healthy life if I pay attention to what I eat.

Half an hour exercise a day and healthy food (lots of greens if possible organic) makes a difference to my life like night and day. I like to compare my body to a car. It really matters how you maintain it and unlike cars, you cant buy a new one.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Libby,

Sorry it took me a few days to get back to you.

Sort of like what Jay was saying, it isn’t necessarily how much you eat, but what you eat. Granted, options will be limited, but that’s why it is important to store quality food ahead of an unforeseen event. This also reduces the need to go out, and keeps you from being seen in the first place. That makes the “grey man” effect all the more easy to accomplish; no one knows how well you’re eating if no one sees you.

Hope that helps!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

A lot of foods also drive inflammation in your body. My mother who suffers from arthritis can manage pretty well by avoiding pro-inflammatory foods. This is something to keep in mind for your preps. When the whole body is already weakened you don’t want to punish it with hard to digest or process food (that might taste good but does not help). Some fungal infection thrive on certain food too by the way.

Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

theres a book called ” zen and macro-biotic cooking ” whole food cooking. a beginning book but good.
    based on my body, it takes me a month to physicaly shed my fat stores from winter before i feel good again. but i eat till im satisfied and not till im full, drink water every night and every morning, wash all foods before cooking, once a week maybe i get a packaged food thing like kd or something. but i stick with buffalo meat, fish,and farm chickens, vegy’s, spices and herbs.
    tonights dinner; 7 carrots diced and boiled slow, 5 potatoes diced and added a bit later, 1 bulb of elephant garlic diced and added near the end, four onions diced and added near the end as well, one tablespoon of coconut oil, half teaspoon of ginger powder, dash of sea salt, a squirt of soya sauce and bit of parmessan …my youngest son has downs, he loves this soup, i can see his battery’s charge up after eating, i feel better too.

additives in packaged foods, chlorine or floride in the water system, contaminants in the air, electrical frequency that interferes with our own body frequency….theres a lot out there some figure we dont need to know,

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Sounds awesome Darin. Great food.

I try to get a green juice in me every day. Lots of fresh organic greens, some beet root and whatever else we can get our hands on. Usually adding an apple or orange makes it taste quite good.

One funny fact I heard was that a lot of the eastern European models are prefered over western women because their bone structure is better which is a result of the organic food they were eating when growing up.

It is really crazy that so many people buy food from companies whose goal is to simply make profit selling them food. Guess these companies put in the best ingredients for you? No! They cut corners where they can to please their shareholders and convince you with cheap flavoring and lots of salt, sugar and fat.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.