Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

As some of you might have realized, I changed a few things around, so now the latest poster shows up as well when you enter a forum and look at the threads.

I would like to hear what other usability improvements you would like to see?

Im really busy working on the new course, but I want to make the forum experience here as smooth as possible, so if you have any other suggestions I will try to make this happen.

Here are things that we could do and I was considering:

1. Removing the sidebar and making the forum full width. I don’t really see the usability benefit in this, because usually text shouldnt be too wide (less than 600px) because its easier for the eyes to jump to the next line. But in general this would make the forum experience probably more like with the other standard forum scripts. I also think the achievement system and other information is useful in the sidebar but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

2. Subscribe people by default to thread replies and new threads. Right now people have to use the small checkbox to get email updates whenever some replies to their thread. I could switch this over so people have to opt out to replies and to get updates. This could drive engagement (because people get an email whenever they post) but also annoy more regular users when they get too many updates. So far I dont see a way to make this a setting in the user preferences.

3. Any ideas for the styling of the forum? Font sizes, colors? Spacing of the different topics? That’s pretty easy and straight forward to change, and I did change it a bit today already.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay,
    One item that I would like to see with the leader board side bar is that the user name would be a link to all of the posts made by that participant.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi, Jay! Oh yes please on the auto-subscribe! I love everything about the look and style, but that would make my life so much easier. Thanks for all your work on this and the courses!

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Item 1 – No. Concur on reasons why not.
    Item 2 – No. Opting to get replies is working for me.
    Item 3 – A little darker on entries verses background would help me.

Robin

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

How about having a “recent/unread posts” button, rather than having the list at the bottom? It’d be much easier to see who posted in which thread and stuff.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks everyone for the feedback! :)

@1974t150v I will try to set this up later today.

@anika I will see if I can set this up as default but that people can actually opt out. Maybe I can make this part of the profile settings.

@Robin Thanks for your feedback. What do you mean with darker? Do you mean the fonts?

@Mr. Red I doubt I can set this up easily but will look into it.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I like Mr Red’s suggestion of an unread button, or a way to resume a thread where one has left off from last time. I hope you can find a way.

Can the achievement shields be made larger, and the stars given a stand out color like red? I can’t see what they are saying.

How about a place for a slogan or amusing quip under the username, which can be changed whenever the user feels like it?

How about a quote function to use when we quote a previous post?

I’m not keen on an auto subscribe feature; I don’t want my inbox flooded and it would cause me to unsubscribe memebrship. But there should be a general opt-in choice those who want this.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well, I don’t understand the badge thing/purpose anyway. Why not just ditch that and use the space for something else?

I would prefer no auto subscribe deal for reasons Elijah stated. I spend enough time trying to keep my email manageable.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

I have added something so that unread threads and forums should be highlighted for users now. I wont add the auto subscribe part.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

These changes are awesome, thank you!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I also suggest the ability to delete one’s own post or thread in addition to the existing ability to edit. As a Mod in another forum I find this feature can save me some work having to remove unwanted or empty threads.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

How about a search function for threads? I want to post under “What did you do today?” and can’t remember which category it’s under…. (Old age???? Nah…)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.