Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

All I can say is that our govt and hence our country has a stench about it that won’t go away…of natural causes, of course.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

On June 26, 2014 Supreme Court limits president’s recess appointment power,

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/26/supreme-court-limits-president-recess-appointment-power.html

This is why I do not think O will go forward on a recess appointment.

Another article,
    White House Rules Out Recess Appointment to Replace Justice Scalia

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/white-house-rules-recess-appointment-replace-justice-scalia/story?id=36937232

In this article they talk about,
    “Obama was thwarted in 2012 when he tried to appoint members to the National Labor Relations Board while the Senate was on a break, but holding pro forma sessions every three days. The Supreme Court eventually ruled that the Senate was not on an official recess then, as it is through the rest of this week.”

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

He may not do it between now and next Tuesday, but the above articles do not rule that out, apparently. What was clear was the fact that Congress was NOT in official recess during those 2012 appointments, but that’s a different situation than we’ve got now. Whatever happens is what will happen. And then what happens after that will be significant – no matter which way it goes. Said Alan Stang, “Think about it!”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Obama isn’t going to use the recess option because the nomination would be wasted. The position would end up being vacated at the end of the year when the nominee was not approved. He wants to change the court complexion for as long as possible. He will nominate a young person.

A recess appointment must be approved by the Senate by the end of the next session of Congress, or the position becomes vacant again; in current practice this means that a recess appointment must be approved by roughly the end of the calendar year.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous
    Survivalist

I”m not sure that’s true about it being the end of this year. It says the end of the NEXT session, which would be the end of 2017. This is an intra-session recess, not an inter-session recess, so we’d still be in the SAME session next week as we were last week before the recess. And thus the “next session” would start in 2017. Depending on what voters do in November, the complexion of the Congress could potentially change. If voters get fed up with the Republican rhetoric being thrown around, give Hillary a victory as well as a Democrat Congress to work with, Obama could well pull it off. But I tend to think (hope may be a better word) that he won’t be THAT brash and make an appointment within a day or two of Scalia’s funeral just because he can. But then again, this is B. Hussein Obama. Who knows?

I just hope the Republicans shut their mouths for another week, and stop with all this “No way, no how!” garbage. It could give him the “argument” he needs just to keep gummint moving, rather than allowing the nasty Republicans to shut down an entire branch of constitutional government for the sake of all their racist hatred of him – or however he chooses to lie his way through it. I’d be afraid that if, sufficiently provoked, he made the appointment and claim he did it for the good of the nation – the only rational thing he COULD do, don’tchaknow. (None of that is my logic – just what I might expect out of his lying, narcissistic, controlling mouth.)

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Find it interesting Obama not going to his funeral?

Personally I don’t think he will try a recess appointment. He will pick someone young, probably his idea of a middle of the road person, probably that was already looked at before Kagan was put forth; and taunting the GOP to make a big stink with the elections coming closer and closer….when are the nominations…I forget….to give the Democratic nominee more ammunition against GOP My 2 cents

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.