Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wow, this is an easy way for them to get night scopes and rifles to hunt us!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yeah, must be. Because I was thinking….if they offered a $100 or so cash reward for every wild boar carcass checked at state game stations; or a $10,000 cash reward or more for the heaviest wild boar – – that was captured or dispatched the government would have saved us taxpayers some serious money….and help deplete the nuisance population of them (guess you’d have to add some for advertising the reward) – but even then – much cheaper. Many would be on that like flies on…

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Nice, more gear to pick up.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well if in fact they do destroy the population it will be one less food supply that could be available after shtf. I guess everyone knows this is what the fed did to destroy the food supply of American Indians by shooting wholesale the bison herds.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Destroy the feral hog population?

That’s easier said than done,

There are how many hunters that go after hogs and the population in doing nothing but expanding exponentially.

Even in areas where the hogs are hunted mercilessly,  unlike the bison, it has proven almost impossible to effect the population.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

$20 million, can that $20 million kill 200,000 hogs? That is $100 each. Pay hunters to do the job. Also many of the hunters give the hogs to the hungry.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Whirl – so you think the govt plan will have no effect? I don’t live in an area where they are a problem yet. Coyotes however are a different matter. Didn’t used to have them around here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlybird,

Using normal hunting methods what you say is true however I suspect they will use helocopters to aid the shooters.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I live 100 ft away from the banks of the Red River. Around me is quarry’s and farmland. Killing hogs from copters is allowed but pricey. Lots of folks use carbide cannons to scare the hogs. Only forces the hogs to go down the river. Reproduction rate of feral hogs is amazing. Hog has a litter and a few months later that litter is having babies.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I find it a little suspect the USDA is looking at thermal scopes right after it coming out they want SMG’s. As pointed out earlier, people all across the US hunt them without even making a dent in the population. I think offering a bounty would be a better approach but I still don’t think it would bet the results they are supposedly looking for. Helicopters work until the pigs figure out they don’t get shot if they stay put under cover. Pigs are smart. The other thing that bothers me is 25 government goons running through the woods tying to kill pigs. The pigs cross a fence. Does the gov ask permission for land access? Doubt it. Now in the name of chasing pigs they can tromp around where they want wihout a warrant. Just don’t like the whole idea.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I agree with matt76 that it’s a little suspect! This is a good way for the government to enter farmlands without warrant. The people that own farms are 80 to 90% conservatives and gun owners so this is a great plan to keep an eye on things.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>tweva wrote:</div>
    Whirl – so you think the govt plan will have no effect? I don’t live in an area where they are a problem yet. Coyotes however are a different matter. Didn’t used to have them around here.

On the hogs, the .gov program will have little to no effect.

Realistically, hogs breed faster than they can be killed, i.e. exponentially.

Feral hogs can breed any time of year. Females can be mature at 6 months and produce two litters of one to seven piglets every 12–15 months. As a result, feral hog populations can double in four months. Although some piglets die within their first three months, feral hogs generally live to age four or five and sometimes to age eight.

They can say all they want, but unless the common hunter starts nailing the hogs year round, and with no limits, the hogs are going to keep going and going.

1974:

Helicopters, talk about a less than cost effective method. Between ‘hourly’ maintenance costs, gas, the pilot and shooter(s), they realistically won’t be flying at night because of the risk most places (power lines, trees, etc), it’s perfect to most .gov minds.

Heck the risk to normal folk having more idiots out there with loaded guns pointed out the sides of helicopters is beyond comprehension. The first time some blithering fda idiot fires a couple of shots at a couple out spooning in the sticks after seeing them in the night vision, it will get nasty.

Post your land, they still have to obtain permission to cross your land. Flying is another matter, but on foot or vehicles, Post it, fence it, tell them you’d rather have the hogs, the hogs have better manners.

At least the hogs are only trying to eat you out of house and home, not tax it all away.
    <div id=”stcpDiv” style=”position: absolute; top: -1999px; left: -1988px;”>Whirlybird,Using normal hunting methods what you say is true however I suspect they will use helocopters to aid the shooters.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Guys, I’m not taking the side of the government on this one… but a couple years ago, some halfwit decided that the plain vanilla feral hogs were too easy to hunt…

So, this Einstein crosses some feral hogs with a Russian wild boar. Apparently to make them bigger, meaner, tougher and more of a “challenge”…

Really.

Ever see the pictures of Hogzilla? That’s where it came from… and there’s more just like it. And as far as destroying the feral hog population, that’s totally fine with me. The things are downright ornery and will do their best to kill you if they can. They’re also not indigenous. We’ve got some around here, along with coyotes… I despise coyotes.

Granted, the pig population represents a potential food source, but check out these pics of what’s wandering around out there in the weeds… tell me those friggin tusks wouldn’t kill you dead in a heartbeat?

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Geez Louise…one ugly, huge monster. How would you even move the carcass around? Unh. Hope they never make it around my way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.