Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

One has to wonder what Mr Glastner is using as examples of well performed government operations that we should place our lives in their hands.

http://news.sky.com/story/1395842/us-families-prepare-for-modern-day-apocalypse

“Sociologist Barry Glastner wrote The Culture of Fear. He told Sky News: “Americans are fairly unique as world citizens in that we tend to believe that we control our own destiny as individuals to a much greater extent than we really do.”

Ironically, he points out preppers may actually be reacting to their fears in the least effective way. Dangerous weather, terrorist attacks and economic collapses are all best dealt with by higher authorities, he said.”

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

yeah right! tell that to the people on the Somerset Levels who were flooded out last winter, the British Government didn’t get off its backside until it was almost bullied into action, and by the time they did anything it was weeks too late. I am not going to put my survival into the hands of a second or third party because that is not being in charge of your own destiny, I will live or die by my OWN actions not by someone who thinks they know better.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I got a good chuckle out of that last line, thanks as always for a good contribution, 74.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

As usual the “expert” refuses to mention government apocalypse.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Where there are real dangers, to take an individualistic approach is usually exactly the wrong thing to do. So the kinds of things that the preppers are preparing to protect themselves from are much better handled on a community-wide basis than they are in your own home.” Glasrner

I think he is in his own state of denial. Just where are local warehouses of food, medical supplies and other necessities that will be needed after any disaster. They don’t exist.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

I can’t believe after multiple failures by multiple governments around the world, there are still people that believe the government will take care of them.

It would be interesting to see how the victims of Katrina and Hurricane Sandy have changed their prep levels. I wonder what the percentage is of people who have gone back to business as usual, and the percentage that are much better prepared.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I think interest peaks after any disaster but within a few months once everything goes back to normal it drops off again….until the next time, we usually see memberships rise on the British forums after an event but most get bored after awhile and are never heard of again.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Lonewolf: The estimated percentage of the population that could be considered “peppers” is about 1%. What would you estimate the percentage is in England?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

That’s what happens here also.

Converts are made, but many are lost to burnout quickly.
    And just like any insurance, its hard to see value beyond the dollar sign when the stuff is just sitting in the garage.

Those who go slow are generally the ones who last, getting past the panic purchasing, learning about all the training and gear that works across all emergencies, not just some black swan event.

And I won’t use that whole lifestyle change bs, few need to change their life, but many need to change their mindset.
    Few of us need to run around in buckskins and furs, its not practical and yet some go so far as to make themselves into some modern day Jim Bridger. Its not practical or realistic.

Looking at the places where shtf, or is hitting it still like Bosnia, Rhodesia, South Africa, or places like Louisiana, NY and Florida post hurricanes, several things stand out, the power does come back on, not everyone is a murdering looter and people aren’t running around in furs and bones. Okay parts of Africa yes, but they never stopped.

Look at what is needed to maintain a simpler version of your life.
    No commute to work for the next three weeks? No tv?
    A bonus for home projects.
    That hurricane, not just a tragedy but an opportunity to upgrade and improve.

Learn, adapt, overcome and thrive in the face of tragedy.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>“Where there are real dangers, to take an individualistic approach is usually exactly the wrong thing to do. So the kinds of things that the preppers are preparing to protect themselves from are much better handled on a community-wide basis than they are in your own home.” Glasrner

I think he is in his own state of denial. Just where are local warehouses of food, medical supplies and other necessities that will be needed after any disaster. They don’t exist.

The big problem with that line of thinking is that people like Glasmer can’t envision anything bigger than a contained regional event such as Katrina or Sandy. People like him suffer from a failure of imagination, and a lack of understanding of long term world history.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

He is a communist , his words have no value .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

They believe there own lies. If you lie all your life you start believing your self. Tolik you are right he’s a communist!

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Roadracer wrote:</div>Lonewolf: The estimated percentage of the population that could be considered “peppers” is about 1%. What would you estimate the percentage is in England?

might be about the same about 1% but we seem to have 2 camps of thought very divided in their outlook, we have “preppers” who mostly can only see the short term events-usually more personal things like unemployment, illness, rising prices and power cuts and the odd trade union strike, and then we have the “survivalists”(of which I count myself) who think more long term/TEOTWAWK!.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.