Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Look at who is worried about EMP. I read that the CIA is under the Mt as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-aerospace-command-moving-comms-gear-back-cold-015320113.html

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I don’t doubt but that there are more command and control type operations in underground or other very secure places than we’ve heard of. It makes sense really. Where I object is in their lack of encouragement of the general public to have even the most basic preps. They used to do it in the 50’s & 60’s.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

MtB, whaddya mean “lack of encouragement?” Don’t you have your 72-year kit in your car?

Cry, "Treason!"

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I don’t doubt but that there are more command and control type operations in underground or other very secure places than we’ve heard of. It makes sense really. Where I object is in their lack of encouragement of the general public to have even the most basic preps. They used to do it in the 50’s & 60’s.

Oh they encourage it, just not to the level that FEMA isn’t in control of.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sadly for a big chunk of the population even a 72 hour kit would be a big improvement. Thing is that 50 years ago the govt. did put forth effort towards what was called civil defense back then. In town you saw those yellow signs indicating which buildings had designated shelters and what their capacity was, and those shelters were stocked with a couple weeks supplies. Not much I’ll grant but it is a couple weeks more than is set aside now. Sure FEMA may have warehouses full of preps but it takes them several days to mobilize even when they have advance notice such as with hurricanes, not to mention they are only geared for regional events. The old civil defense approach was nationwide. In high school they covered civil defense in “Health” class which was handled by the gym teachers. Again, the content may have not have been robust by the standards of this group but is 100% more than kids get now. I sometimes wonder if the fact that most preppers are aging baby boomers is because we had that exposure as kids

As an aside, being one who could just innately connect the dots, I can remember when I couldn’t have been more than 10 years old walking downtown seeing all those yellow shelter signs wondering if I was the only person who realized that the shelter capacity in town was only enough for but a fraction of the population. The govts. whole approach to civil defense for a nuclear war was naive but at least there was some effort made to encourage the general population to think about it. People who did prepare weren’t made out to be crazies as occurs now.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

It all points to an EMP attack. If an EMP is what will happen then we all know the electricity will go down for a long time.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I saw this article and actually was coming here to post it. Yep… preppers are crazy… but if the government preps for doomsday, that’s totally different don’t you know.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

I can remember when I couldn’t have been more than 10 years old walking downtown seeing all those yellow shelter signs wondering if I was the only person who realized that the shelter capacity in town was only enough for but a fraction of the population.

Government disaster preps have almost always been about protecting (1) themselves, (2) their families, and (3) a few of their best friends, in that order, with few exceptions and/or additions. The general populace wouldn’t put up with the taxation it would take to cover everyone, and many of them would be scamming to raid the stash, as soon as nobody was looking.

Human beings are capable of both competing and cooperating. Each has its place in the survival of the race. It is prudent to prepare for self and family, and to be prepared to compete to stay alive. It might be better if informed people could cooperate to prepare for hard times. Better yet, if they could cooperate to rid themselves of a governmental financing scheme which guarantees cycles of hard times (borrowing from those who have been granted special privilege to issue, and loan into circulation, at interest, “currency” made almost free, from electrons.

But then, if the average human being could manage to think that far ahead, this website would probably not need to exist.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

We exist in a state of undeclared war. Why is it crazy to prepare for an uncertain future? The SHTF already. How when where who I’m not quite sure but I know it happened.

LOL

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m trying to look at the bright side Brulen. Wednesday night’s snow is almost all melted and I’m going to start some seeds in the greenhouse today.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

For sure MB, as they say in the northcountry, the ice has almost melted off the lake time for a swim. My wife has had the grow light going for a couple of weeks now. Griffiss air base Is nearby. During the Cold War we knew exactly where the bombs would hit. If they scrambled everything suddenly you’d know there was incoming. The ny national guard eastern air defense sector still flys planes from there. They used the Adirondacks to test fly drones from Rome. Now most of it has been torn down or is in ruins. The war came here for awhile and then left for more exotic places. It’s sort of like war tourism.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

LOL. When I was in college the school owned some frontage on a lake further up the mountain and in the Spring there would be a big cookout there and we would go swimming because the ice was almost melted on the lake. This time of year we’d also have what was called the Mud Fest…..tugs of war and other contests in a really nasty mud pit, with plenty of food and beverages to add to the festivities.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.