Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JerseyOutlaw
    JerseyOutlaw
    Survivalist
    member2

Hello everyone, I’m gonna try to give you some good info on educating yourself about physical schools.
    Anyone can Google Urban Survival Schools or Urban Escape Schools, and come up with a list of places to choose. The most important thing I can stress to people taking this route is to research the instructors. I know first hand there are schools out there cashing in on people who are wanting/needing to learn about these topics, but their instructors have “made up” and/or embellished their histories to hook you in, and even though you may learn some good things, they really just want your money.

Ironically, the class I help teach doesn’t show up in the immediate searches!! And, of course I’m biased, but here’s what I believe you need to look for and research BEFORE you lay out any of your hard earned money!!

Experienced Instructors who will happily show you their experiences, or you can find their real life experiences here on the internet, like Selco. The class I teach at is Tracker School, run by Tom Brown Jr. It is among the oldest, if not the oldest, survival schools out there. You will find good and bad about Tom, but I know first hand, most of the bad is from old students who went and started schools on their own. Next is the man who “authored” the Urban Escape Class, Jorge Brana. Jorge started as a very young police officer in Argentina, shortly before the civil, or Dirty War in 1976, and got out right before the SHTF. He emotionally discusses those events, with proof right in class, no embellishment needed. I’m the firearms teacher, and at it’s most basic level. I display my history to any who ask and discuss it as an intro before any class I teach.

Length of class versus cost and some type of class plan is very important. You need to know what you are getting for your money!! These classes should range from 4 to 6 or slightly more days for you to learn and retain the most. Anything less than 4 days is not enough time to truly get you what you need. The more “Real” experience you can get, the better, and that would be in the form of field exercises. You need to go outside and do things relating to your class.
    Reading things here by Selco, or listening to instructors in a class can only get you so far. You need to get out and “practice”. An important saying to me is, Practice doesn’t make perfect, Perfect practice makes perfect. I apply that to firearms, but also to everything I get involved with. You want to be put into a very stressful environment as part of your class. You need to test yourself and stressful exercises are the best tests. As with any class, you need to practice AFTER you finish your class for the best retention.

Ability to teach you Real Survival techniques. We all need Shelter, Fire, Water and Food!! This class better teach you how to manage those four items in your life, or it isn’t worth a sh!t!!
    And last would be a show of items to buy that will make your life easier in any forced survival scenario. As an example, there is a point in class where we load up tables with items we have purchased and discuss their importance. The students look and feel this stuff and take notes where they will go out and buy what they like. We don’t sell anything but the education.
    So there are some thoughts for you in your search for knowledge. I will always answer any questions you have from this, or a related topic I may have missed. Thanks for reading! Steve

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Very helpful, thank you Jersey! Do you have any way of saying what sort of price range would be appropriate for the ~6 day courses? I know it’s going to vary, but a ballpark range would be helpful to know. Like $xxx is probably too low (and likely just a diploma factory for the cash), and $xxxx is way too high (class for ******* who like wearing velour camouflage track suits)…? Even if just for your area, then we could adjust it based on what we know of our local prices compared to New Jersey’s.

I am very interested in doing one of these courses, maybe annually so that I stay in the running, so thanks very much for putting this out there!

Profile photo of JerseyOutlaw
    JerseyOutlaw
    Survivalist
    member2

You are welcome anika and glad you like this info! We started with a 4-day class and the student charge was $550. We recognized that four days were not enough to effectively do what we needed, so upped it to five days and kept the same price. The five days was much better for instructors and students, but lost money. So now we are planning a 6-day class for $800 in the fall, and doing what we can to knock of $50, to get it at $750.
    With that being said, I’ve seen 3-day classes out west for $795. Much too short of time, and at too much cost to students-although they must really like the velour camo and track suits!!
    Hope that helps. Steve

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Perfect – thank you very much, good info to have!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.