Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

anyone who has lived in a city for any length of time probably dosent have to be told to “watch their back”, if you go about with headphones in and music blaring, or head down playing with your mobile your probably going to become a victim of crime or get knocked down by a car at the very least. I don’t live in a city anymore but I still sit with my back to a wall and listen for footsteps coming up behind me when I’m walking about. a bag with a long strap should be over your head not hanging on your shoulder, likewise don’t leave your purse or wallet on your supermarket shopping trolley-it will get stolen. you need to observe “situational awareness” at all times, know who is near you at all times, most people do not make “eye contact” these days and blunder about in ignorance…don’t be like them and become a crime statistic.

British Survivalist.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yep.
    “Situational awareness” is something that need to be practiced in normal times in normal circumstances, if you do it now it will “get in your blood”, and that s good.

Scanning all the time your surroundings may look weird today, or trying to guess who is armed while you are having coffee by looking how they stand, do they remove jacket, or simply are they checking their waist belt when they move…

Small things that can save your life one day.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

situational awareness or as I call it “people watching” is probably what kept me alive for 43 years in a city, especially in some of the “bad” areas and with the types of people that inhabit such areas.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Skip to 4:50 for situational awareness fail, by someone who considers himself trained with 10 years experience in self defense. This vid is actually why i walked away from a self defense course i paid 1600 dollars for, i now refer to it as dance lessons.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Been doing/practicing for years now- while in vehicle too. Took quite some time to have it become second nature (sticky notes in car helped) Totally necessary to practice wherever you live, wherever you go imho

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS,
    Is that guy demonstrating how to get stabbed and cut, what was that?

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

74, pretty much. the skinny guy has over 10 years mixed martial arts training and lots of fights under his belt, and the big guy is a wrestler/grappler.

at 4:50 in the video the skinny guy does not recognize the threat (situational awareness), and has no idea how to react to it because all he has been taught is dancing lessons that work in sport… not combat… so he gets stabbed. the same thing happens to the wrestler.

A cop would have instantly recognized the threat, demanded to see hands, and likely make some distance happen to buy time to pull his gat.

Most knife fighters, i mean real knife fighters… you will never see the blade coming. Its only the new street thugs and wanna b that flash metal to scare a person. (this is the major reason concealed knifes are a no no in canada.)

I read a story a while back about an early morning jogger, he was about to pass a walker on the path, and as they passed one another, the walker slashed the joggers throat, walked away a few paces, and turned around to watch the jogger girgle. Didn’t take the wallet or anything… then left. The jogger lived btw, missed both arteries. (I would imagine that there would have been warning signs the jogger missed, like whats this guy doing walking out here at 5 am.. and hey, where are his hands…)

So as a rule, be aware, where the hands are. (sit Aware)

Lots of people who are in martial arts classes (ive been in more than a few) have zero clues about reality, and what they think they know usually gets them broken noses and teeth, very rarely do they learn from the experience of having their asses handed to them by a pork belly biker missing teeth, the 80 year old combat vet, or the 90 pound girl who knows where to put her finger, (in the rapists eye).

Almost every fight I have ever been in started with a ****** punch (but there are always warning signs before hand). They are never fair sport like matches, and thats what people who go to those classes expect, because thats how they practice. Their teachers are just as clueless typically, (really shop around if anyones thinking about it… what you think you know can get you killed. JeetKuneDo is the best IMO, but only if the teacher is legit. Its no rules street fighting, just like mr lee intended.)

Sorry if i offended anyone enrolled in martial arts / sport. I had a lot of fun in tae kwon doe when i was a kid, but i also got kicked in the balls a lot *chuckle* never kick above the waist.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

In this time we live in I don’t get why people do such stupid things like jogging at 5am anyway. Some poor your girl got drunk, left a party in Charlottesville, near here, got lost wandering around the downtown area and got herself abducted and killed not too recently. Had even called friends to say she was lost. Now I remember the place when it was a very small, quaint college town – but it is a small city now – with city problems.This girl was very smart – until that night. In fact, lots of young girls have been going missing around that area for a number of years now. Anyway, KOS you are right about watching the hands. One young girl barely avoided being abducted down in CVille a couple of weeks ago because, walking home from class one night, she was approached by a guy asking her how to get to the library as he walked up to her – but his hands were in his hoodie pockets. She said later she started backing up as she realized, why are his hands in his pockets, where are his books…dropped her stuff and ran just as the guy pulled out a big knife and went for her.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Good for her. Preds get my blood boiling. She had much more common sense than the above MMA fighter.

Try as i might, my little sisters are completely lacking in that kind of thinking… they hitch hike often… All i can hope for is that i drilled kick, scream, bite, scratch, and stomp enough times to make it automatic. They sure can fight when there drunk tho lol. Woops.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Sometimes it is a matter of paying attention to your belly twitch. 20+ years ago I spent a month in Evanston, IL at Northwestern Univ. for one of those executive training courses. Evanston was a somewhat upscale place but it was still a city adjacent to Chicago. It was winter and I would go for a 7 mile run every evening before dinner, but it was dark by late afternoon of course. My route took me through a mix of areas from single family home neighborhoods to apartment building areas and through the downtown. One evening as I was coming down a main boulevard in an apartment building area that wasn’t well lit I could see a guy up ahead walking towards me. Something about him set off my pay attention belly twitch and so I sped up a bit as I approached him. The moment I passed him he turned around and started running after me. That caused me to run faster than I had ever run in my life and I didn’t slow down until I got back to my residence hall on the campus. He gave up the chase quickly enough when he saw he couldn’t catch me but my adrenaline was pumping and I just kept going.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/the-reality-of-a-knife-attack/ more discussion here.

KOS,
    I never had a formal class in martial arts, I grew up with 4 brothers. We had enough training with wooden knives, swords, spears, slings, and shields to join the Roman Legions. Our play fights almost always turned into real fights. Kind of amazing I have eyes with the number of near misses I took from flying missiles and stabs to the face. Got poked in the white part one day with a old finger nail file. Really learned a leason that day about keeping your distance and controlling the weapon arm of your opponent. When it comes to blows with blades bigger and stronger is better. Keep them away and counter strike the opponent’s wrist cutting the ligaments behind the thumb or back of the elbow cutting the ligaments. If they close the distance slash the weapon arm ligaments at the bottom of the bicep.

A shield really helps, a book, laptop or any thing that can be used in the weak hand to block a blow gives you the opportunity to strike with your strong hand and end the fight a quickly as possible.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    lucky you he didn’t clock you as you ran by.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

74, yes I am. I should have crossed the road when my belly twitch alert went off, or turned around and taken a different route back to the school.

I grew up with 4 brothers too (and a sister) but our fights didn’t get too violent.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.