Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Apts and small residences

Getting home

**********************************************************************************************
    This is a work in process, please add a topic then the link on site.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Gypsy, Great putting these links together for urban survival basics. I like this idea a lot.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Thank you Freedom, hopefully more to come

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

How many are carrying spray can
    de-icer for the car/suv lock? Carrying on their person so when you get to the ride you’ll have it?

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

SHTF students: How many of you guys have to kill rats in and around where you live?
    How many of you carry a full tang blade with you nearly all the time? (EVEN AT WORK)

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

How many are carrying spray can
    de-icer for the car/suv lock? Carrying on their person so when you get to the ride you’ll have it?

I don’t carry it. My vehicles are garaged which significantly reduces the opportunities for frozen locks. Can’t carry everything. For the off chance it might happen you just need something to heat the key and it’ll melt the ice.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

SHTF students: How many of you guys have to kill rats in and around where you live?
    How many of you carry a full tang blade with you nearly all the time? (EVEN AT WORK)

I will admit that I have never even seen a rat in the wild let alone had to kill one. The most we ever had was a couple field mice that came in when the weather turned cold in the autumn. We set out traps and they did themselves in.

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

um use a mouse trap, so much food where i am why eat mouse/rat can get grouse rabbits they scatter away when doing chores on property carry a sling shot for dinner….. apple fed deer is good too…. as for eating stuff um have eaten roaches to stay alive they taste like chemical paste **** and are bacteria loaded need a lot of water to wash fouls taste out. worms slugs and other insects like ants more palatable. Keeping a weasel gets rid of the rodents and all i feed them is a small breakfast sausage and occasionally an egg they have not killed any of my chickens or as far as i can tell taken an egg.

as far as stuff with me all day everyday have knives axes and other farm stuff at hand or very close by.

killing rats too much energy just use peanut butter to lure and trap chasing a waste of time.

um for de ice use a heated key trick you do carry a fire source if worse come to worse you can use body heated key de icer is a wasted luxury

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Not many rats around my place, the dog would put a lot of pressure on them along with the hawks and other wildlife. I’m fairly certain skunks, raccoons and possums hunt rats and mice and those animals are around aplenty.

As far as knives go most of the time I carry a small pen knife in my watch pocket and that’s it. If I need a bigger knife I have a folder in my edc and a fixed blade in my ghb/bob. Then there’s always a knife floating around the glove box in the truck. I wasn’t really trying to collect knives for a hobby but I ended up with collection anyway. If I’m home there are pocket knives in every other room of the house laying in drawer’s and sheath knives in my gear storage area, and old kitchen knives in the garage. Maybe I need a table at the flea market.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Fortunately, we’ve got a number of homeless cats in the neighborhood. They take good care of the rat/mouse population. Now if they’d just go after the chipmunks too ….

As for knives, I’m a lot like 74 – they’re all over the house in various varieties and sizes, (almost) all kept well sharpened, and one in each glove box of our vehicles (Gerber-type multi), along with multiple knives in our bobs. I normally only carry a small Case knife in my pocket, but have thought about carrying my old Air Force issue switchblade since they are now legal in our state for CC holders (guess I’d have to finally fold in the hook blade – it’s never been folded in since issue).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Here’s how I kill rats without poison or traps:

1. Mix 3 parts dry quick-cooking oatmeal with 1 part dry plaster of paris, and a little Parmesan cheese for extra attraction.
    2. Put it where rats can easily get it and larger critters can’t. Cover enough to keep rain and larger critters out.
    3. When the rats and mice eat it, the plaster forms an un-passable little “rock” in the gut which kills, but the carcass isn’t poison, so if a predator (hawk, owl) finds and eats it, they won’t be poisoned, and won’t consume the rock.

Cry, "Treason!"

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Profile photo of L Tecolote L Tecolote.
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Thanks, L Teclote! I hope that will work with their cousins. We’re being over-run with chipmunks this year. I feel sorry for the little critters, particularly as cute as they are, but our garden is either our food, or theirs. All they have to do is move 50′ away from their main living area and they’re at the bird feeder with plenty of seed tossed to the ground every day. But no – they suddenly have taken an extreme liking to our veggies (particularly the tomatoes they could reach).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.