Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

As we fall deeper into collapse you may start seeing more signs of the dammed who will become bigger pains in our necks as the financially down times spread: I am seeing stories of out-of -town males coming in from 40, to 50 miles away to rob women with guns in board daylight, I see recent large graffiti on empty business walls that be gang criminals marked up in paint, there’s more car windows being smashed, etc. and this is all part of the emboldened punks in gangs that are hungry for cash.
    Anyone else see such activity? I am on higher alert and staying away from certain zones.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Corvus Corvus.
    Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Anyone else see such activity? I am on higher alert and staying away from certain zones.

Certain zones? I suspect with the exception of the very few pockets of sanity still undiscovered by the gangs and the marxists, we’re all in the zone. Our neighborhood was virtually crime free until about three years ago. The ONLY thing that happened was an occasional middle-of-the-night smash-and-grab of a car stereo or object stupidly left on the seat in a vehicle parked out on the street. We never had vehicles broken into around here if they were in carports or even just parked up off the street by the house, and until three years ago I’m not aware of a single home break-in. That’s all changed. While one group has been taken off the street temporarily and incidents have decreased, we’ve had daylight thefts from carports, yards, and even daylight home invasions in what used to be a safe, peaceful neighborhood quite a way from “the city.” Dogs have been stolen out of locked yards, yard equipment from back yards, along with the usual high value items when homes are actually broken into (again, most DURING broad daylight). A couple out walking fairly recently (a very common activity in this area due to our out-of-the-way location with no “through streets”) had a vehicle slow down and a handgun come out the window, pointed directly at the husband. They were too scared to get a license plate number.

At least a fair number of the nearby residents have banded together and we have a sort of reporting system, with email alerts containing descriptions of vehicles, individuals, etc. (wish we had the phone apps that they’ve got in South Africa!). Exterior lighting of houses dramatically increased in the past year or so, though with the slacking off in number of incidents recently, people are stupidly saving pennies on electricity because of complacency and the neighborhood is getting darker again.

One other factor we’ve noted is that what was once a very stable neighborhood, with almost all owner-occupied homes, has had a lot of foreclosures or deaths of owners, and “investors” have swooped in and bought up a lot of houses as rentals. What’s moving into the rentals is often very suspect, with one home just a couple of blocks away being a known drug distribution point that for some reason police aren’t touching. We suspect at least two or three more of the same, just not as certain.

The bottom line is that with such rare exceptions as to be inconsequential, there are no more “zones” to stay away from. Vigilance (and protection) are in order at all times and places, any more.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Well said GS. In our relatively small town with a huge state university that dominates the town, the increase in crime has grown exponentially. House lights on our street are on 24/7. Everyone is very watchful of who is around. We live in the more prosperous part of town with a cluster of rentals for students. Many are wealthy Asian students who drive high end vehicles that are ripe for the picking. A LEO I know told me that the gangs are starting to focus on these students.

Like you vigilance is the watchword for my neighbors and I.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Thats the thing , dont advertise wealth , makes you a target in bad times .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’ve not noticed anything different around here, but we’re outside the mainstream a bit given there aren’t any large cities nearby. The closest is Albany NY which is on the order of 100 miles from here. The absence of large cities in this State (largest is Burlington at 42,000) in combination with the absence of minorities (96% white) more or less translates into an absence of gangs. Gang member drug dealers from Albany, NY, Metro NYC, and Springfield/Holyoke, MA do come up by car and via Amtrak but they seem focused on selling drugs rather than robbing people or homes. It is almost impossible for them to blend in and a lot are caught, enough that the ACLU is trying to say police are discriminating given the disproportionate arrest rate. Most crime tends to be the local druggies robbing convenience stores and the like rather than individuals or homes/cars.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“The bottom line is that with such rare exceptions as to be inconsequential, there are no more “zones” to stay away from. Vigilance (and protection) are in order at all times and places, any more.” GS

I can’t agree with this, in practice we must stay vigilant at all times but there are urban areas that I will not venture without extreme purpose.

Profile photo of Corvus
    Corvus
    Survivalist
    member4

As an urban dweller I do know what the distance of a few miles means for some relative safety, a mere five blocks to three blocks almost lulls me to a restful sleep. For the record gentle people I am a minority–American Indian, I feel some of the other darker minorities don’t mess with me like they might with lighter-skinned people because of my appearance, if you get my drift. I have had to always take my vehicle on any distance beyond a five block radius, due to the way how quickly things can go bad with certain unneighborlyhoods . I don’t leave without my EDC and supplies bag and I have been told by some that I drive like a “professional” Professional what I don’t know, but let’s say I have an agility and turbo boost to my ride. That said, how many have had this experience, where African Americans just stroll out into the street and block the traffic because they are almost taunting you licensed driver to hit or tap them so they can get you to pay out or pay off, these are “behind enemy lines” sort of zones I really like avoiding at all costs.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Corvus, a few years ago I came close to what you described. I went to a wake for a friend’s father in Holyoke, MA which is a down and out old mill city that now has a large black and Puerto Rican underclass. Anyway, I missed a turn and ended up in the downtown area which is not where you want to be after dark. I turned around to head back where I came from and was a tad nervous every time I got a red light. Groups of locals were on every corner it seemed and when the lights turned green they would still be shuffling across the road so slowly that it would turn red again before they finished crossing the road. I knew enough to not honk the horn and eventually got where I needed to be without incident. I’ll stick with the countryside thank you very much.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Corvus,
    The most definitive line of demarcation I’ve seen was in Baltimore. South of Lombard St. Is the “inner harbor” a big tourist area, just across the street on the north side begins the hood. The sidewalk is lined with people waiting for an opportunity.

All those people walking out in front of you, are just showing you their distain. It’s such a shame people with no manners are protected from injury.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

All those people walking out in front of you, are just showing you their distain. It’s such a shame people with no manners are protected from injury.

I agree. Being poor does not mean you must behave badly. There are lots of poor folks in the countryside around here and they by and large have the same value set as those with ample means.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Another reason I moved to Maine , they have always been a little on the poor side , its kind of a norm , nobody thinks much about it , one way or the other ………..it just is , if you decide to live here . Many years ago , the company I worked for did some work in Baltimore , we were headed to the job site , and took a wrong exit , couldnt get back on . Bad neighborhoods , we kept driving without stopping at lights until we started to see a sprinkeling of other people besides blacks , we called it ” The Neutral Zone ” lol . We didnt actually stop and ask directions until most of the people we saw were white .

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

I can’t agree with this, in practice we must stay vigilant at all times but there are urban areas that I will not venture without extreme purpose.

Oh, please don’t think I meant that there aren’t areas I would avoid at almost any cost – there are most definitely. What I meant was, in effect, EVERYWHERE has become “the zone.” It’s true that some parts of it are worse than others, but with the rare exceptions such as what MountainBiker still has, or what Tolik moved to Maine for, there are for the most part no “safe” zones anymore. Long gone are the days of leaving your door unlocked when you went to town to do some shopping, or leaving your kid’s bike out in front while you’re indoors, or even your lawn mower unattended in the front yard while you go around back to get the gas can, or some ant killer after hitting a fire ant hill (common around here), etc. Somebody ringing your doorbell? Check them out well before even thinking about opening the door. And after dark? Forget that! What existed in our neighborhood just three years or more ago, is now gone, and unlikely to ever return. But I’m even less secure just a couple of miles from here, and there are indeed areas I just don’t go. I just don’t consider much of anything a “safe zone” anymore.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik,
    I didn’t realize you completed your move to Maine, congrats!

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Tolik, what you and I speak to in part at least is cultural in Northern New England. In rural/small town areas rich and poor are not segregated as in most places. My little neighborhood has deteriorating old trailers and estate level properties with both very poor and very rich people in a hamlet of just a few hundred people, and quite honestly if you didn’t know where someone lived, you wouldn’t necessarily even know which camp they fell in when talking to them, nor does anyone care. Yes there is white trash too, but they by and large interact in a civil manner with everyone else.

GS, when I go into the largest town within an hour of here (16,000 people) I tend to do several errands and usually will go to the grocery store as my last stop before coming home. Many times I have left purchases in the bed of my truck without worrying it might not be there when I come out of the store. To me that is how a civil society should function. That said, we’ve got bad folks too. We’re not immune to crime. Whatever happens elsewhere in the country happens here too, just at a much lower rate, sufficiently low that most don’t think much about it.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Well guys I think that were there is drug use then there is gangs. Some areas they are working with locals to sell there drugs so they do not stand out but they are everywhere now. I had read an article that said that the two largest gangs have more guns that the military. They are located even in small towns. They are from every races.

When the SHTF we better be careful of these gang members.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.