Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Tukie 2 Female age 52.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Was raised in the prepping lifestyle, gardening, canning etc. since I was tiny. Born in the UP Michigan, most of my relatives still live an off the grid lifestyle. I am a single mom now, with 2 kids. My husband was special forces and passed about 10 years ago. I need to raise my own food to make ends meet. I am a nurse, with a specialty in emergent care and naturopathic remedies. Live in Washington state now. My friends and parents think I am a nut-job.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I think we will be forced into martial law, and economic collapse. I have 2 boys still at home. I am trying to get them prepared. My whole life is geared towards training them and giving them the skills to survive what may come. Hard to do as a single mom. We live on one acre with a million acre back yard.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

My philosophy at this point is to stop being scared, it doesn’t help anything. I find that if something terrifies me, Ebola, marauders, those little wolf mechanical thingies that could be made into weapons….I figure out how to fight it instead of breaking down and letting fear rule my life. I am still scared, but I am more prepared for it. Family is everything. I prep for them…and also to help those who need it. I figure what kind of world will they live in, if we are always shoot on sight…follow a moral and ethical code, help who you can, and take the others out.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

If it’s stupid but it works….it’s not stupid….. (taken from personal experience)

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

To my kids: Believe in God, Help each other, Do what is right, not what is easy. I love you.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome Tukie2 – hope to hear more from you. We are a pretty diverse
    and friendly group. Don’t hesitate to chime in.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

WELCOME!!!

You will be fine, and as you get more prepared, the sleepless nights will become less frequent. I kinda “woke up” in late 2008 and am still chugging along ;)

Make yourself at home, Tukie!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you. I have more skills than preps. I feel like I have been led through those types of trainings my whole life, probably for a reason that I have yet to discover.

Profile photo of Muscoe
    Muscoe
    Survivalist
    member1

Where in the Michigan UP do you live? A very different type of people live there. In my opinion it is one of the best places in the US to live. You have to be a preper/survivalist to make a go of it there. Welcome to the group.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you…Was born up by Marquette, Calumet, Charlevoix…area…I live in WA state now. But go back every year for reunion. Still loving the area, I’d move back if it weren’t so economically repressed. It takes a special person indeed. Mom’s pics of growing up show them leaving the house through the third story window because of the deep snow.

Profile photo of Muscoe
    Muscoe
    Survivalist
    member1

Love the UP! I’m a southern boy but we moved to the Cedarville (EUP) area back in 1985. Love the spring, summer, and fall, but not crazy about winter here but worth it considering the summers down south. It’s one of the best places to live but you have to be a “real” survivalist to make it up here.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Years ago, I worked with a husband-wife team (quite rare in construction) that was planning on retiring in the U.P. I thought it was somewhat of a crazy idea, due to inclement winters. Now it seems obvious they were most likely thinking of “getting away” :D It was an early retirement type deal, she was younger and he was going at 55.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum tukie2

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

The winters are the best part. There is nothing like knowing you are stocked up. Wood heat, and a hundred good books to get you through the blizzards…I am weird, but I love that weather. It’s in my blood….and don’t get me started on ice fishing…woo hoo.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Welcome, tukie2. I just started ice fishing last year. Really enjoy it!

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Tukie, you are already far ahead of most folks, and it sounds like you have much to add to the discussions.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Tukie2. I hope you like it here. I know I do. You commented that you have more skills than preps. I feel that the preps can only take you so far because of spacial limitations but there are no limitations to what you can achieve with the right skills. In other words, you might fill your house with food and be able to last a year, but with skills, you can grow your own food, preserve it and last for decades. Ron S

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Exactly Ron S. I have always felt I was drawn to help others if we lost basic societal needs. I was in SAR for years and helped start a group in King County, WA, in my younger days, taught basic survival training, and worked for an outfitter for years. So skill wise, I am ok. You hit the nail on the head with the special limitations. We have a high water table area, and flood often enough to make storage an issue. We are far enough from the nearest town that getting there in an emergency would be 2-3 hour trip if even able. So we had to learn how to do it up here ourselves. We get 20 feet of snow, flood, heat, and all the rest…LOL…Paradise. I am looking forward to learning from all of you guys.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.