Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Trust” in general has been talked about some on this forum but I would like a discussion of “Trust” by itself. What makes you place your trust in something or someone? What will cause you to not trust someone or something? If your trust is broken is it possible for you to trust again?

For me trust must be earned. Not over and over but with me it does not happen overnight. However, once I place trust in something/someone then that is a big deal for me.

If someone lies to me then my trust for that person is over.

If my trust in someone or something is broken then that’s it.

I must forgive others who do me harm so God will forgive me. I will do this willingly but it would not be including trust.

Robin

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Robin you can forgive them but it doesn’t mean you have to trust them again.

For me it is the same as you. It takes time. I can count how many I can trust in one hand.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Forgiving has nothing to do with trust. They are, after all , human with all the frailties of other humans. Recognizing that they have their shortcomings and forgiving those shortcomings doesn’t mean that we have to trust them. TRUST BUT VERIFY works even in the best of circumstances, even if the verification is in our own mind. If a person has been gone for a half hour and then they tell me that they single-handedly cut logs and underbrush to conceal a listening post, which I had estimated would take a minimum of two to three hours, I would definately verify. It might involve future trust issues as well.
    Ron S

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

trust must not be freely given, it has to be earned.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

In establishing trust time is a major variable for me in that over long periods of time you get to observe people through good times and bad. Anyone can keep their guard up or put on a good show for a short period of time, but not likely over long durations. Sometimes just by the vibes people give off you can determine fairly quickly that a person is not to be trusted, and sometimes the opposite can occur and you can see through to their trustworthiness fairly quickly, but for most people it takes time to really know their character.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

For example I have a neighbor which has is what I call a two face type of person. My wife can’t stand him and the same goes for me. He will say hi to and talk to you one day and the next day will walk right by you and not even look at you or talk to you. He is not a trustworthy person and I will not count on him in a SHTF time.

I know for a fact that when the SHTF he willl come and talk to me like if he was a friend but I know better.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thinking about this more, there are really two levels to trust. One is trustworthiness. Is their word good? Can you trust them to do as they say? The other is judgement. Can you trust their judgement? Are they good decision-makers? What we really need in our groups are trustworthy people with good judgement. One without the other would be problematic

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Good point, MB

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

there are only 3 or 4 people on the entire planet I would trust to “watch my back”, anyone else is suspect.

British Survivalist.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Lonewolf, that brings up the reverse side of the coin. What to do with people that you don’t trust.

As a personal habit I would take folks that I did not trust (they had lied, not done has promised or were a totally new “Unknown”) to be a “point man” or “Human Mine Detector.” I always kept such persons in front of me so when they did screw the pooch I would have a better chance of fixing things before it blew up.

Robin

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I usually don’t have anything to do with people I don’t trust, its as simple as that.

British Survivalist.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Trust is a funny thing,

On one hand we give it freely to those we have and expect to protect us, such as the military.
    At the same time, the level of dischord and distrust grows daily, because of some assumed connection or loyalty to the .gov.

Personal trust is another matter.
    You can’t go through life without trusting people.
    Even if its only to trust that they’re going to stop at the stop sign.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Trust no one , suspect everyone .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Tolik wrote:</div>Trust no one , suspect everyone .

Learning from the cops?

There’s a sign that’s hung in every dispatch center I’ve been in.

“In God we trust, all others we run NCIC”.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>Trust is a funny thing,

You can’t go through life without trusting people.<br>

I LIVE by the old prepper motto:” if you don’t know them, haven’t worked with them or spent time with them, then don’t trust them” post SHTF that will go tenfold..

British Survivalist.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.