Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

I’ve done this for the longest time now and it’s proved invaluable more times than I care to remember. It can work just as well on the lanyard/body of a regular torch/lamp, but I almost always use head lamps. If you think about it the most likely time for the batteries to fail are when the lamp is in use, and you have the predicament (especially in the outdoors) of blindly rummaging around in bags etc looking for spares.

By simply using a length of cloth tape you can secure the batteries to whatever illumination device you have, that way when you need the replacements they are right there and easy to access.

Living in a country where we can hit near total darkness for a month or so, you get very used to burning through batteries, but any time you use illumination this tip can well apply :)

The attached pic. shows a typical set up…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Good advice (good idea).

When I read the thread title, I thought of the hurricane lamps or tiki torches.

I have long kept a spare set of batteries for a weapons light, taped into the weapon itself, pistol grip.
    Same for the sight (red dot), but on the collapsible stock.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Edited the title, hopefully it is a little clearer, I know depending where in the world you are influences how you commonly refer to these things :)

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks Toby C!

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

They look like triple A. They’re about the same size as .223. Got an old mag.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>They look like triple A. They’re about the same size as .223. Got an old mag.

Batteries and dissimilar metals? Not a good idea.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Toby, one of my favorite topics.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

One of mine too Selco, I gather top tips in as many places as I can! This is one of the HUGE advantages of teaching internationally, you get too meet a whole bunch of people, most of which have great tips, ideas and concepts :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ultimately even though the risk may be low, loading a mag of AAA into your AR could end up as a really bad thing.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks for the info!

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

TobyC, You got me thinking again. For quite a few months now we have almost only been using solar flash lights. You put them in the window in the morning and if need be use them at night. I’ve got a few normal flashlights -incl small one I use with handgun. But with the solar flashlights saving money, I’ve stopped stocking up on batteries. Wow..oops Never thought what would happen if the sun do not shine. Got the candles and paraffin lamps, but needed the wake up call. Will start buying again and strap them where needed. Thanks

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I have always wondered about the whole “batteries” thing in a SHTF situation. There are solar powered rechargers, crank type chargers, wall outlet type, blah, blah, blah…..

I have always had issues with rechargables not holding a charge after only a few months of use, so any charging mechanism just seems to be a bit useless if the batteries don’t work.

This is definitely a good topic and interesting use of electrical skills….

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled, For a while there should be a good supply of car batteries. Hard to use with a flashlight out in the woods and taping one to your headband will be uncomfortable, but they will be plentiful.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

In quick search I found You Tube video showing similar device I use in my vehicles. I’ve got a rechargeable flashlight, and mobile phone/dashboard camera and coolerbox that sometimes need to be plugged in at the same time. This helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzD9CXkDl4k

I’ve started changing my bulbs to Led
    Advantages of LED lights – from sustainable.co.za website
    LED light bulbs are energy efficient – producing more light per watt than incandescent bulbs which results in cheaper LED lighting costs when compared to regular lighting
    LED light bulbs last longer than incandescent bulbs. Normal light bulbs have an average life span of 1,000 hours but an LED bulb has a life span of between 40,000 and 60,000 hours.
    LED lights are more durable and robust than conventional light bulbs, they can also be made significantly smaller than conventional bulbs and can be used in flashlights and other small devices
    LED lighting operates at a lower temperature than incandescent light bulbs, less energy is wasted in heat production and subsequent heat loss
    LED lights don’t contain the toxins found in incandescent or fluorescent bulbs, such as mercury

And then I am hoping to track down these security lights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAwUwKWuYQc

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>They look like triple A. They’re about the same size as .223. Got an old mag.

Batteries and dissimilar metals? Not a good idea.

You mean this could inadvertantly construct a booby trap? Man walking along looks down sees a mag onn the ground, says to himself, must be my lucky day. Picks it up give its a tap, battery connects and kaboom. One little AAA connects to a led wired into an overcharged .223 round and hasta fingers. Those little leds seem really useful if not downright ugly. Just a theory of course for a secondary use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.