Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Now that there is a nice piece of work… and railroad spike steel is damn good stock. For that matter, so are the rails that make up the railroad. Knew a guy that made an anvil out of an old rail. Worked real well.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Roadracer,
    I did not make it. I just posted a link to the project but I would imagine if you had a gas forge and all your materials ready it would probably take 4-5 hours depending on your skill level. It might take a little longer depending on how you heat treat or temper the steel. The harder the steel is the better edge retention you get but it is also more likely to chip the edge during use. If it is softer it doesn’t chip as easily but you will have to sharpen it more often. You have to find a happy median depending on the blades use. Normalizing the blade is a good idea too. Normalizing is done after you have tempered the blade. The blade is warmed up to a couple hundred degrees (3-400F) and held at that temperature for a while (45 mins- 1 hr.) and then allowed to air cool. This heating does not affect the temper and allows any stress points created by beating or bending the metal to relax and you get an even tension throughout the blade. Stress point are weak spots that could cause a crack or even failure over time and rough use. These processes are not included in the 4-5 hours estimated above.

A descent starter anvil can be made from an old piece of railroad track if you can get your hands on some.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

HAHA Malgus. I took to long typing my reply and you beat me to the punch about the railroad track.:)

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

My brother used a foot long piece of rail as a portable anvil. Worked great.
    Robin

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Track is 44 lbs a foot. so it is okay for smaller types of work, plus RR track is not flat so it makes it hard to use without bending your piece every hit. If you guys have an chance at an old anvil make sure the surfaces are smooth and straight, if it’s beat up leave it be. Each dent and nick will transfer into your work, makes for a mess.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Things to consider, Thanks Matt

While I may never use the Spike to Tomahawk conversion, it sure does spark the imagination!

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.