Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I remember a few folks being interested in making knives and such so here is something you may enjoy.

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/8522/t/Forging-an-axe-from-a-high-carbon-RR-spike.html#.U-pdH2oo6po

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76 that is beautiful art.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Maybe someday I will get the time to build one myself but that 4 letter word “work” keeps getting in the way :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt,
    Great post. I have wanted a forge set up for a long time and never got to it. I guess I should find the right stuff now before shtf.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I have recommended this book in another thread but “The $50 Knife Shop” by Wayne Goddard has some really simple and cheap forge designs. He even shows a coal fired one built by digging a hole in the ground and using his wife’s hair dryer for the blower lol. It’s never to late to get started.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I need a good anvil and tongs. The forge, blower or bellows I can make. There is an old coke plant not far from me I can get some fuel to fire it..

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’ve gotta agree, “The $50 Knife Shop” by Wayne Goddard is a great book.

And that is indeed a beautiful hawk.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Very cool , it was common practice back in the 1800’s to pound worn files into knives , and during the civil war , short swords .

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Excellent Info! My son wants to do this type work, and it will come in handy some day.

We have many parts for this, and I save the old blow-dryers, they make good eat guns for most applications.
    Perfect for the air blower on a forge! My Dad uses an old Stanley squirrel cage fan for burning brush FAST.

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you like to read online you can do that with many knife making books including the 50 knife shop. Here is the link,

http://knifemaking.altervista.org/index_libri_en.html

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Freedom, great link

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

You welcome 74

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Time to download some good stuff to thumb drive, and print for hard copies.

Knife Links :D

I have some good cutting tools, but what about after those break, get lost, worn out, etc…
    I have a huge saw blade that I was considering for a machete blade. Leave the saw teeth
    on the back, make a great bush knife! It’s maybe 16″ long, “carbine length” so to speak…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Fantastic link Free. Thanks

UndeR
    Saw blades are a good source of metal for knife making. Without seeing the blade it is hard to say how much the carbide will help. Carbide tips usually are wider than the blade itself so hand sawing with it might be a little tough due to drag. If you plan on batoning with the blade, the strikes from the mallet or stick will break the carbide off eventually. You might be better off just grinding serrations on a portion of the underside of the blade. That way if you are sawing something of descent size you can rest your off hand on the back of the blade for extra support. You can’t do that if the blade is facing up.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

A beautiful piece of work. How long did it take you to make it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.