Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Five years ago on the 20th of dec, I woke at 3am to my brothers voice. He had come to spend Christmas with us and his children. Hearing him say he smelt smoke my hubby took off running after him to hunt it down and I stayed up stairs and got my house coat on. As I head towards the staircase my brother yells get the kids out. I ran for the two girls room and woke them up got them to the stairs.

Looking at my oldest daughter I told her to take her younger cousin out, which was straight down the stairs and out the door.She watched her little cousin expaire from the smoke and yet still tried to get her out, burning her hand on the rail she fall backwards down the stairs to be found by my brother and carried out, not knowing that his own daughter was no more then 10 feet away.
    While I choked on smoke I barred my self in to their room and tries to catch a breath, before heading back out to get the boys…. I never made it there. The smoke was so thick that breathing was unbearable. I made it to the window by the grace of god. But then found out it wouldn’t open, it was frozen. By this time all I could feel was heat and heard nothing but roaring.

Giving the window one more smack the ice broke. Now I hang out the window till I can turn around. Sitting in the window facing the fire I prayed and hoped to god the other children got out. I screamed for what felt like hours but it was only mins. By now I could feel my left leg burning. Giving one last deep breath, broken and bleeding fingers let go of the window frame. and I let my body free fall 30 ft to the ground.I wouldn’t know this till after, I had broken my back in the process I woke at my neighbor to find out I had crawled fifty feet from the totally engulfed house.

My brother whom made it out carried me to the road and sat screaming with me as we watched the full house fall in less then twenty min, taking along with it my youngest son at the time and my niece and nephew. By oldest daughter whom was 11 held me while crying as the emts brought in my hubby who had jumped through a window from the inside of the house and sliced up his arm and artiries, causing him to no long use his hand. but he did get out the youngest child my nephew before almost bleeding out in the front yard.

What I learned from this, always have the wiring checked in your homes.Always make sure fire alarms work. install escape ladders and make sure to oil or wax your windows so they dont freeze. And most importantly Always always always keep your loved ones close.

I now hold my children even closer, and know what happened. And I sware to the gods, it will never happen again

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Gypsy, I am so sorry for the devastation your family went through. Thank you for sharing the very important lessons with us despite what must be a lot of pain in remembering that time.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Your welcome. and yes the pain is still there. But Now I use it to fuel my life in everything I do.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Gypsy, what a terrible ordeal you all went through. Devastating to so many in your family. Thank you for sharing. My heart goes out to you.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Really moving experience. Thank you for sharing Gypsy. It is crazy how these “simple things” like getting the wiring checked and having an emergency plan so everyone knows how to act can make such a big difference. It can take so little effort before it is needed but can make such a huge difference. I’m sorry for your losses.

Im currently building a homestead and this story inspires me to double check on a couple of things. Thank you.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I am very sorry because this tragedy happen to you, and thank you very much for writing this story here because I know how hard can be to go trough all that again.

Daggett
    Daggett
    Survivalist
    member1

Gypsy, thanks for writing this up and sharing it with us. Your post really conveys how FAST this can happen and how confusing it is at the time. I am very sorry for your loss.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Yes it does show that as much as being prepped for things some times, it isn’t enough.

George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Gypsy, it speaks so much about you that you could go through such a devastating experience and can even talk about it; much less think of others and share your lessons learned. I have always been frightened of fire and electricity because I respect the power behind them. Words can not describe how much I admire your fortitude of spirit.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Gypsy,
    I am amazed by your courage and quick reaction time under such extreme circumstances.
    It is something I very much admire.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.
    I’m very glad you and yours are okay.
    Hannah

Profile photo of Katt
    Katt
    Survivalist
    member1

Gypsy Your courage and instincts and strength resonate with all of us.
    Thank you also for the courage to reach deep within yourself to share this
    I also am very glad you and yours are OK
    Katt

Profile photo of antlion
    antlion
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks for sharing, that’s really rough and not that it does much good but I’m sorry you had to go through it.. I’m only glad you use it to move you forward and have taught us all to be more cautious and prepared.

So smoke alarms are something I definitely need to get in order but thats a warning after the fact. So prevention wise… the wiring. See I don’t even know where to start on a 135 year old house but a google search and a bit of research is a start. Had I not heard your story I would not have even thought about it.

Thank You Gypsy.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Gypsy, what a sad, life changing experience this has been for you. How many losses you suffered in such a few, short minutes. Thank you for feeling strong enough to share so we can learn from your heartache.
    mariowen

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.