Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

in reply to Mr. Freedom,
    of course i have plenty of knives and bats around the house, my parents simply do not believe in the use of firearms.. and i cant change that nor will i try…i feel this: yes, when SHTF we will be vulnerable, we will have to rely on close family friends with guns to protect us and i do not like that one bit. But on the other hand, the man who came in my window wanted nothing to do with me…if you broke into a house expecting nobody to be in it and was met with a 230 pound varsity linebacker, you would probably turn tail and leave as well…the man was totally unaware that i was home…sure, i could have grabbed a knife, ive got numerous laying around, but was it necessary? i feel like it would be excessive to whack the guy in the head with a crowbar or stab him with a knife. Now, if the guy broke in, saw me, and came at me…i would have killed him without hesitation…in this situation i dont think killing the guy would be reasonable…i dont know the poor mans situation, it obviously wasnt good…breaking into houses to support a family or a drug addiction is pretty low.

Heres my counter to me owning a long gun: in this situation, close in, with neighbors houses not 20 feet away, it seems unnecessary to take the risk…if i even had the time to get at a rifle or shotgun, in such close quarters, it would be unnecessary wouldnt it? he could turn it on me, i could miss and risk a stray bullet hitting my neighbor or his dog, i still cant even imagine how i would even get a long gun out in time to even get close to pulling the trigger….

i do know how to shoot and i shoot often. family friends take me all the time as they feel an extra shot can be useful when SHTF..granted it will be their weapon and ammunition, they understand that it would be beneficial to the groups survival if i know how to handle and operate a weapon…

again, i love this feedback and im learning alot here, thanks so much for the replies :)

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

TheCallMeMoose It looks like you are a big boy and that is good. I agree with you on not doing anything to the man coming into the house but what if he had a gun or a knife? Since you are a big guy a bat will do a lot. My dad used to say to me( do not be afraid of the big guy, be afraid of the little guy because he carries a big stick) so the little guy may have a weapon so a bat in your hands just in case he pulls a knife on you would come handy.

If your family is not into guns what about a crossbow or bows, tell them you would like to learn to use them.

Also remember since you are a big guy if you hit someone in the arm or leg with a bat you will put them down and not kill them.

Also another option is mace pepper spray.

Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

yep, i have a compound bow, i have the bear spray, i have a bat… but these would escalate the situation here.. he wanted to go cause im sure he was afraid id hit him or mace him…so i let him go, figured he learned a well enough lesson by finding that there still could be dangers inside the house youre targeting..

anyway, thank you so much for all the input freedom! i may come off as argumentative, but i really truly do like the discussion

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of garylutz
    garylutz
    Survivalist
    member1

when I lived in London I used to sleep with a dagger under my pillow. The chap who broke in used an axe. The dagger would have been a poor choice of tool.. , fortunately i was out at the time. The neighbours came around the following day to complain about the noise the axe made; they thought I was playing loud music.These days I keep a powerful torch by the bed – if they cant see they are pretty useless.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I like the idea of a powerful flashlight though in the US there is a definite downside to it. The intruder is likely to be armed and if you blind him, he won’t know if you are aiming a gun at him and may choose to shoot first.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb,
    Be ready to shoot first. Unexpected family should know before hand to turn on the lights and identify themselves on arrival. Ringing the door bell before entering is a good idea too.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

police in the UK will only attend if the burglar is still on the premises, if he has already left they do not attend, they will just give you a crime number for your insurance company, that’s it. if you are really lucky you might get a visit 24-36 hours after the event but all the police will do is take away a list of the stolen property. mind you if the home owner injures the burglar in the act of stealing stuff that is a different matter!!!! in that case the home owner is the criminal and the burglar is the victim….crazy huh??

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

Sounds to me that if one lives in the UK and they decide to resist a burglar, then they are better off doing a Dexter on him.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Backwards law enforcement if I ever saw it.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

yes, well I did say it was crazy. we can use something called “reasonable force” but nobody is quite sure what that is or what the boundaries are, one persons reasonable force might be someone else’s Unreasonable force! luckily I live in a low(almost no) crime area.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I’ll bet traumatic head injuries where the burgler can’t remember a thing are common in the UK. Yes officer he was on the pavement unconscious. I haven’t a clue how he got there. The two burglers must have had a fight and knocked each other out sir. Officer Friendly I heard them say they were playing the knockout game.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

you are allowed to defend yourself once they are inside your home, but you are not allowed to chase them down the street once they have left. one is classed as self defence the other is classed as assault. like I said it dosent happen much around here, any burglaries in the area are more likely to be the filling station for the cigarettes and alcohol…that’s happened a couple of times in the last 5 years, and the local bank branch ATM was attacked about 4 years ago but house burglaries around here are vary rare, due to it being a low wage area.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, “reasonable force” what the hell is that? Well I think crime will change and the rules will change in a SHTF times so just prepare like you are doing.

lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>lonewolf, “reasonable force” what the hell is that? Well I think crime will change and the rules will change in a SHTF times so just prepare like you are doing.

that’s the problem no one knows exactly what “reasonable force ” is!!! there wont be any rules post SHTF it will be WROL so “all bets are off” as far as I’m concerned.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.