Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

Hi there everyone, today id like to share a story and what ive learned from it.

it may not seem like a very big deal, but i learned this lesson the hard way. i was recently home on fall break from school and everybody was out of the house except for me, and i was asleep in my room. in my sleep, i begin to hear this noise, like the wind was moving the blinds on my window. the first thought in my mind was oh its just the wind. so i ignored it, when all of a sudden, the screen on my window is ripped out of the frame. i sit up in bed and i yell thinking its someone trying to pull some kinda joke on me, keep in mind im half asleep, so im just sitting there in bed, eyes trained on the window, when this young looking black man starts crawling into my room through the window! so i stand up on the bed and i yell again, i say “GET OUTTA HERE!” and the guy freaked out and was gone…

i got dressed and called the police, they showed up 5 minutes later and i gave my little rundown of thee events. i realized afterwards that i shouldnt have gone outside the front door after him to see which direction he was going, BIG mistake on my part as the officer reminded me that i am an unarmed teenager leaving the protection of my home to go after something unnecessary.
    the lesson i learned here was this: the officer said that they bhad 4 calls in the vicinity about attempted break in within the past 3 hours, which means that these guys had been at it for a while. i learned thath there was more than one, in fact 3 men who were breaking into peoples homes in my neighborhood. i scared them off. the lesson here is that these men had this all thought out. they knew that during the day, the time was 10:45 at the time of the break in, people would be off to work. they realized that my dogs were in the back yard. they also realized that my window was slightly open….
    what im trying to say here ladies and gentlemen is that if you truly want to know how to protect your home from looting and marauders, go outside and survey your house yourself! is there a vulnerable window or door? are your dogs outside and unable to do anything while people are going through your house taking your stuff? these burglars realized thath there were no vehicles in the driveway, the dogs were out of reach, the window as cracked open, and it was 11 on a tuesday! my lesson was learned the hard way that day, i consider myself lucky that the man had no weapon, and that im a light sleeper, for i may not have lived past this experience…

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I always have my big dog inside the house. Also sleep with my weapon and cell phone next to me. Never leave a window open. My house has impact windows which you would have to hit it with a sledge hammer which would only open a small hole. They would have to break two holes and put there hands though to unlock the two locks that the windows have.

The doors are the same. In a SHTF times the criminals will have a weapon and will not stop since they will know you can’t call for help so start planning and prepare.

Profile photo of TheyCallMeMoose
    TheyCallMeMoose
    Prepper
    member2

Freedom,
    of course i have some flaws, im a teenager living with my parents, we own no guns…
    my whole mindset is me and my loved ones will not starve or die of thirst while i am alive
    i have a long way to go, and i appreciate the feedback :)

"I'd be a dumbass if i didn't plan for EVERY contingency"

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sorry but I have two teenagers 19 and a 14 year old, the two know how to handle a gun and know where they are if and only if they are in danger. Also if you do not have a gun then a baseball bat will do you a lot of good to have next to your bed. When I was 14 years old I already owned a small pocket knife that I had in my bedroom and was told never to take it anywhere. So you do have options.

I do not think you have any flaws. I think that if your parents do not own a gun then your family may have a problem when the SHTF times comes to protect them self’s. No parent wants there children to starve or die of thirst but if they are not ready for what is coming you will have a problem. They need to prepare by storing food and water and own some weapons if not a gun then another type of weapon. Criminals will have guns and will use them when the SHTF..

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for sharing your story Moose. Good thing nobody got hurt and the police came promptly. One of my habits is never leaving 1st floor windows open at night or when we’re away. Once we’re in for the day we’ll lock the doors too. If we’re going to be away overnight we tell the folks across the way from us and have them pick up our mail and any packages that get delivered. They tell us if they’ll be away too. During the winter I’ll shovel snow to the front door and/or back door and in front of garages for a couple neighbors if they’re away (the driveways being plowed by a contractor) so as to make it more look like someone is home. Note that I live in the countryside and only have a few neighbors, and so we watch out for each other.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Well, I’m glad you survived your brush with the Orcs…

If you want to know how Orcs think, you can start by reading the book “Safe in the City”… plenty of good advice in there on how to harden a home and physical security…

Make it a point to know the law in your city and state with regards to defense of self. Not all places have similar laws.

Here in Kentucky, when I was your age, you could shoot someone in defense of self, in defense of loved ones and arson. Yep, if someone tried to burn down your house, you were legal if you blasted him in the process. I know of one guy who did that. The Orc didn’t like him, or his family. Threatened to burn down his house. The police were unable to do anything until he actually tried something – which, by then, would have been too late. One night he heard a noise, and caught the Orc behind his house with a can of gasoline and a Bic lighter… Blam. The end.

It has, of course, changed since then. We now have Stand Your Ground, the Castle Doctrine and we are a “Shall Issue” Commonwealth when it comes to issuing concealed carry permits…

Take the advice in the book for starters, have your folks read it, too… but remember “Infinite Monkeys”

Means if you give enough people enough time, sooner or later, one of them will figure out how to defeat everything you put in their way. The things you do to make your home more difficult to break into will only slow them down. Not stop them. You will never be able to stop them. Making your home difficult to break into will cause them to move on and pick someone else – an easier target… sorry about the “someone else”, and I know it’s harsh, but there it is…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Moose,
    A teenager can legally own a long gun so I would talk to my parents and explain to them that you don’t feel safe without a defensive weapon in the house. The break-in is proof that it can occur in your own home. Find a local firearms training course and get the whole family to take part.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Federal law prohibits, with certain exceptions*, the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.

Several states and the District of Columbia impose minimum age requirements that extend beyond those contained in federal law.

Oddly this info come from an anti firearms ownership site: http://smartgunlaws.org/minimum-age-to-purchase-possess-firearms-policy-summary/ There is a table with age restrictions for each state on the page.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74 is right on this, but if your parents do not want a firearm in your house then you have to study all other types of weapons to defend your self. Even a hammer if used right can be a great weapon. An FBI report said that there were more people killed by criminals using bats and hammers then long rifles. If the criminal would have gone though the window a base ball bat may have saved you if used right. There are no laws that I know of for a base ball bat defense.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

TheyCallMeMoose, I think you did excellent!

Most sneak thieves just want to steal something that they can sell easily for money. Sneak thieves enter homes that they think are not occupied… and will run at the slightly thing. Actually, a old neighbor of mine surprised a sneak thief during a break-in and the thief was so scared he had a bowel movement on the pavement outside the house! We all laughed about that!

Now, a home invasion is a totally different animal. These people will come when they know people are home. For example, they will bust through a front door when someone comes to answer it, after they have knocked. (Home invasions are very rare, and ironically, are the most rare in countries that allow private gun ownership. For example, the UK has higher level of home invasion compared to Canada or the US. It was this data about home invasion that chanced my beliefs about private gun ownership.)

A home invasion is an extremely dangerous situation. These people are there to torture, rape and possibly murder the family while taking there time doing it in a private location (the family home). Sorry, for being so graphic… Some people suggest having a “safe room” where the family would flee to. This is likely the only situation I could ever image using lethal force. I would do it to protect my girls from being gang raped by a group of men… Or I would die doing so.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

C,
    Very rare is probably not the correct description. I would say less common. In the little city near me it happens every few months, many times this stuff goes unreported to keep the police out of it. Drugs, prostitutes, & etc. Street turf wars. Every now and then they rob someone they don’t know to buy drugs.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

74, do we need to do this? :(

First, let’s get our definitions correct. Here’s the legal definition of a home invasion. It is a distinct catagory:

http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/H/HomeInvasion.aspx

Second, the data is manipulated by both the pro-gun and anti-gun organizations. So, it is sometimes easier to look at murder rates because it’s hard to muck with the numbers when there’s body in the morg.

Do you really want to do this?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The anti-gun organizations have always played with the real numbers which are all in the FBI reports. They do not like the FBI data numbers. They also do not like that driving a car kills more then 2X the amount that guns do. Also if you look at the FBI data numbers and subtract the gun shooting that are from criminals the number of non-criminals crime is so low that the anti-gun groups do not like them at all and will not talk about them.

I have not seen much manipulation on the pro gun groups, if there is any please post a link of the statements so we can read them. Now the anti gun groups are manipulating many cases, including calling semi auto a machine gun, I see this all the time. I always tell them when you can stop all drugs from coming into this country and have all criminals turn in there guns and the government give up there guns too then we maybe able to talk about the people giving up our guns. Will not happen!

If you look up home invasions in the FBI all the big cities have at less one per day or more in cities like Chicago.
    I only look at the FBI reports even tho some are not reported as home invasions and reports as only robberies.
    I know of one here that happen six blocks from me three years ago that was never reported because I can’t find it. This home invasion they got two old people duck taped them (mouth too) and left the to die. So some are categorized in another area in the FBI records.

But if all the true FBI criminal reports were on the news media the public would see the true light of what is really happening. But since the news media is also left wing anti gun they will never do that.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Goodness C, I’m just telling you wants in the news. These are headlines from areas near me, I didn’t even look at news near Philly or anywhere else, it would be to many to copy.

http://www.wfmz.com › News › Regional: Berks › Local
    WFMZ‑TV
    Jul 3, 2014 – Man fatally shot during Reading home invasion … READING, Pa. -. Police are investigating a shooting that left a 25-year-old Reading man, …

Apr 26, 2014 – Reading police apprehended a Wyomissing man at the scene of an armed home-invasion robbery, then arrested one of the victims on drug charges after

Sep 26, 2014 - 2 shot in home invasion, 1 killed Masked men kill 23-year-old man in Clay ….. Amanda Sweigart · Top Commenter · Reading

Cumru Township police are investigating a home-invasion robbery in the Gov. … BCTV – a nonprofit community-based media organization in Reading

Police are looking for tips in a home-invasion robbery on Rugby Road in Exeter Township.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

My apologizes, 74. The term home invasion is often used incorrectly in the media.

I just wanted to tell TheyCallMeMoose that I thought he had done the right thing scaring away a sneak thief.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

No problem C, He did a great job but he may have been very lucky as well.

But as you can see these are all home invasions from armed intruders, some with fatal injuries. The FBI doesn’t have a category specifically for home invasion so armed robberies and murder during a home invasion are recorded under those categories. A google search will bring up about 4,200,000 results from just this year in locations within 50 miles of my location. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=home+invasion+philadelphia+2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.