Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Just after I posted this I just came up with a possible solution……

Maybe I should go pick up one of those “free to pick up” boats that I see at the boat salvage yard, install a 100 or 150 gallon fuel tank in that and set up an electric pump for filling my vehicles. I can then just haul the boat to any gas station to fuel it and no one will care about hauling, storing, or tranfering the fuel…..

Hmmmmmm…….

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, that is the way to go my friend. No one will even think about it. Also it is cheap to do.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>sledjockey, that is the way to go my friend. No one will even think about it. Also it is cheap to do.

I already have a small boat that I was going to repair the hull on that I got for free….. Maybe I will just fix the hull and when I rip out the floor, I will build large forward and aft tanks in the thing. I will have a free gasline tanker trailer… lol.

Now I guess, if I do that I will have to find some aluminium to build the tank from and I can just weld it up. Unless steel tanks would also work. Much cheaper that way.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I’m interested in getting opinions here. I have a large 3 car garage with a storage room above it. It is detached from the house by about 30′ but with a covered walkway between the house &garage. Two bays have our vehicles. The 3rd bay has all of the yard equipment, canoe etc stuff. It is not insulated or finished off in any way and only has a barnboard exterior which allows plenty of “breathing” so to speak. It is not a tight structure in which fumes would accumulate.

I keep a dozen 5 gallon containers of gasoline, two downstairs by the mowers and ten upstairs. I use a rotation system to cycle through it, using 2 to 3 gallons every time I mow, and then multiple tankfulls (the big mower holds 5 gallons) when I take up leaves in the fall, so I do cycle through this in less than a season. I then put Stabil in each container for the winter. I also keep a half dozen small gas grill type propane tanks in the garage, a couple downstairs and the rest upstairs. Butted up against the back of the garage I have two 100 gallon propane tanks that feed the cooking range in the kitchen and the propane heating stove in the back half of the house. I also store up to 10 cords of wood behind the garage, there being an open sided shed of sorts coming off the back of the garage, basically a roof to keep snow off the woodpile and propane tanks. About a hundred feet or so behind the garage and maybe 150′ from the house I have a greenhouse/potting shed structure (16’X16′) that doesn’t have anything hazardous stored, only gardening supplies.

Should I not be doing what I’m doing?

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, Make sure it is well ventilated, also how hot does it get there. The propane tanks should be no problem but the gas is were you need to be careful since if there is a fire the propane tanks will be like a bomb. So keep the gas away from the propane tanks. Store the propane tanks some were else away from the gas.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb, thats a big fire load if you ever have an ignition source. The thing is the cars and garage would be enough to catch the house on fire so adding extra fuel maybe doesn’t matter. Attached garages are lined with 5/8″ drywall to contain fires. Most of the time that works. 25′ is not much but it helps. Fortunatly the logs of your home will withstand a lot of heat. You might separate your resources so all your eggs are not in the same basket though.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

It seams to me your problem is filling the tanks in a public place, not how you store the fuel. Nobody would know if you had drums of gasoline. As long as there are no ignition sources your alright.

The boat and car issue is how the gas is dispenced versus a tank. Boat bilge’s also require a blower to remove flamable vapors. Cars and boats have contained fuel lines. No open contaners or transfer of fuel. Using a tank and pump vapor is pushed out of the container being filled. The movement of fuel in the hose can create static, hense the grounding issue. Plus sometimes someone may have a charge from their clothing.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks. The only other place I can store the gas or propane is in the potting shed. I wouldn’t put any of it in my basement. I suppose I could put it outside in the woodshed area where it would be fully ventilated, but even that is part of the garage structure being it is attached.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mtb. I would use the potting shed for all but my current/daily use.Check the propane after delivery to make sure the connections are not leaking. If you suspect a leak use soapy water like checking a tire. If you have a leak call the supplier. Non sparking tools should be used when flammable gases are present.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, the bigger problem is always gas. The propane will be OK but the gas next to the propane I would not do.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes gas vapors are heaver than air and don’t disperse readily. Propane mixes with air. Just don’t do it indoors….

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes and done smoke there!!! or light up a candle!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.