Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

pencial sharpener

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Pheonix
    Pheonix
    Survivalist
    member5

That is a good idea.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

#2 Build your own survival kit. That way you know what is in there, how it works, and most importantly that it works. It will also save you money, and you wont be lugging gear you don’t need.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Put a “John Wayne” or “Clint Eastwood” can opener on your key ring.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I loved the sharpener! What a small and often-overlooked, simple solution to those things listed.

I don’t have any tips of my own to share, but I found this on another site I visit; I trust the site provider’s content, but admit that I haven’t researched the claim, myself.

On December 31, 2013 the Environmental Protection Agency forced the last lead smelter in the United States of America to shut down. The facility had been in operation since 1892. This was the last facility in the United States that could process raw lead ore into the lead required for modern firearm ammunition. The closure of this facility will have an impact on the ammunition industry in the United States and ammunition here in the United States may gradually become extremely difficult or extremely expensive to obtain. With this in mind perhaps now would be a good time for you to acquire the knowledge on how to make your own ammunition at home using the lead wheel weights off the wheels of old cars in a junkyard. May I humbly suggest that you read the following article, and if the article contains information that you believe might one day be of value to you, then may I also suggest that you print a hard copy of the article for future reference purposes, if you have not already done so.

How to Make Your Own Ammunition – Grandpappy hard times survival article copyright June 3, 2009 by Robert Wayne Atkins, P.E..

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Always have basic eye/hand/ear protection in your kit or vehicle. Good gloves, some safety/shooting eye pro, and some simple ear plugs can make a world of a difference. Small scrapes or cuts on your hands may be no big deal now, but in a survival situation it could very well mean death. Same with eye pro, you don’t want to get a stick jabbed in there, or dust/small particles. And ear pro is just that, especially for people who shoot. Long term hearing damage would suck, especially in a long term grid down world.

And remember, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

nlouise
    nlouise
    Survivalist
    member4

Here is my tip. Antibiotics will be hard to come by when the need arises. Getting them from a doctor these days is strangely difficult. Buy your antibiotics from a pet supply online labeled for fish or birds. It is all pharmacy grade in human doses. You can look up info on each online and keep that info with your bottles you keep on hand. The shelf life is a whole lot longer than what the bottles say………typically 10 years. If you don’t know who has them, ask me. Not sure if I can post company name on here(?)

I also read something that pet supply places are going to be banned from selling these antibiotics by fall of this year (Aug/Sept) so get them now!!!! The powers that be know that preppers are buying them up and they are using the excuse that people are harming themselves by purchasing and using these products. Make sure if you buy them to have the info printed out as to what they are good for and dosage. I print out the info and tape it to the bottles directly so that I don’t have to search around for info on which does what at the time I need them. All that info is available online.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

My tip of the day:
    Save the little oxygen absorbing silica packets that come in lots of different food products (beef jerky for example.)
    They have tons of reuses that can be found on other prepping sites.
    Personally, I use them for long term ammo storage to keep out moisture!
    Hannah

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Stay Balanced – Don’t Forget to Smile!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Odor Free Chicken House

Practice the deep litter method. Smell Free – Saves Work – Healthier Chickens – Great Compost Base
    Once a week shake out straw, pine needles, leaves (1″ base to start) in house. Keep adding it.
    Pick out any soggy areas around water source if needed, turn over with pitchfork – add more dry matter.
    Every 3-4 months turn it all over/fluff it all up – add more dry matter. Every 6 months clean all out – add to compost pile or garden beds
    Start over with 1″ dry base.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Tuffhorse
    Tuffhorse
    Survivalist
    member1

Collodial silver is antibiotic, antiseptic, and costs pennies to make. We have been using it for three years and we never get sick. And no, we didnt turn blue. Always use distilled water and test for zero impurities. http://Www.economysilvergenerator.com is where we bought ours. We use on any cuts, scrapes, etc. and take a Tbsp orally every day of 10 ppm silver.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Oh yeah Tuffhorse! Thanks for bringing it up. Use it all the time. May my own as well. Even the ‘preppers’ I know think I am crazy. Huh! Stuff works folks!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Live somewhere, where its a bit colder then you like or the power triggers out.
    Close your blinds, curtains and bedroom doors. Move to a central room in the house and block off hall ways with a shower curtain. You can buy spring loaded shower curtain rods. You’ll find that the room you all move into will become warmer then the rest of the house.

If Its day time keep the curtain open in that room the sun can help keep it warm!!

George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

If you have, or come to hang around a pond after SHTF and you see a pipe sticking up in it (or see an outlet pipe at the base of the dam) take note:
    -know and record somewhere/mark with rock where the pipe is on the land side (i.e. about ten feet out from the xxxon land side)
    -if it has a screened cover over the pipe, make sure it stays clear of debris, thick algae and the like. Check often in spring and summer after heavy rains. If it doesn’t have a screened cover, make one quick (use 1x square wire or less)!. I use a bird cage that I removed the bottom from because it has a hook on the top I can use to remove it with a very long, flexible aluminum pole so I don’t have to get out the john boat and can reach it from the land side)
    – BE CAREFUL! If the screened cover is clogged, the water is over the top of it and you pull it off – it short order you will hear a BIG boom/burst of sound and anyone down near the outlet pipe is going to get hit with a forceful water blast
    – Pull/try and reach lower with a sharp tool and remove as much as you can of any cattails you may see start growing. While cattails are very useful for many things, if you are going to depend for long on the pond for water, they will quickly take over a pond.

Why this advice? This morning neighbor down road called. Coming to get my john boat. Weh ave had so much snow/rain his pond has severely overflowed, flooding several pastures and threatening to erode (and burst) the dam – not a good thing for people down stream. He DOES NOT remember where the hell the overflow pipe is now ; and he DID NOT have a screen on it. The outlet pipe is obviously plogged up with winter debris/sticks/leaves and or dead something. This is going to cost a bunch of time and money to find it and unclog a 35′ 12″ diameter pipe.

IN SHTF: if you run across a pond that’s full look on the downside of the dam at the outlet pipe. This area is usually always wet, a small pool of water at the base as it runs off and attracts wild life. Hide somewhere near it and you will have all manner of smaller game show up to hunt. Darn snapping turtles around here bury themselves in the shallow mud there too!

-

Attachments:
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

SAVE ALL CORKS NOW
    -Tell your friends (‘specially the wine drinkers if their wine isn’t from a box) you are making XXXX project or something
    -When SHTF if you have or scavenge good containers/bottles but need to secure the contents corks can do the job! Can never have enough.
    -TIP: If you need to carve/cut a cork to fit the opening of something? If you are doing a few of same size? Mark them with a sharpie or ‘scar’ the outline of what you think will fit the opening. (You can fine tune that once dry. Get a sieve or collander if multiples of same size (hot water in a mug for one or two) that will fit down inside a pot. Boil water. Turn off or remove from heat. Dump in the cork(s) (they will of course float). Either stick something on top of them to hold them down or stir every few minutes. When swollen, remove. The corks will then not crumble and fall apart on you when you cut/shave them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.