Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Let me first say that I by no means am an expert in this field of study, nor do I yet have any formal training. This thread isn’t about teaching how to do these things, but WHY you should and its importance. It is all just my opinion, which is somewhere lower than worm sh*t, so take it how you see fit. I’m going to be fairly loose on ideas, not being specific, because things can change from person to person, and what may work for you may not work for me.

For the ease of me being able to convey my thoughts on this matter, lets say we were hit by 2-3 EMP devices. So you go into your initial steps of the plans you should already have, begin to assess the situation, and so on (again, what you might be doing on Day 1 will be different from what I do and most everyone else on here).

So why is scouting important? Because you gain intelligence on what is happening in your surroundings. You would be able to find out the scope of the EMP effects (if any vehicles are running, if there are airliners down, fires, etc), if there are any communications still working, and what people are doing. If people are calm and cool, then that would mean you don’t need to up your security yet, you don’t need to worry about moving about because there are no hostile people (yet), and you could still go to some stores and add a few more items to your stores (maybe go out and buy some of those big items you’ve been holding out on before people begin to realise money is garbage, so have cash on hand).

Along with this, you’d be able to work toward possibly gathering up some of the resources your area has to offer (tractor trailer loaded with food? note the location and see if you can get it move to a secure location, or just unload it). As an aside here, I’m NOT advocating stealing. If there are abandoned resources in the space, I’d want to grab them up so I can keep my people fed or have electricity or whatever. Chances are others will grab it up or even destroy it so no body else gets it. If you’re worried about taking it, take things like manifests and such, so that if/when things do normalize, you’d be able to contact the company or whatever and say “I grabbed up X on this date” or something along those lines.

Recon will also help you in your security means. Having people out in the space will let you have eyes on of what is happening and if there are any threats, or potential threats, in the area. As I’ve said before, you need to defend at depth, so that if you do have to go guns hot, it’s not going to be in your front yard with your family an friends at a high risk.

A few after thoughts;

This will obviously mean that you’ll have a larger number of people in your “group”. If you can, start getting people in a “prepper group”. Once things go hot, those in your intimidate area can add more manpower to your survival, so begin training people as soon as you see fit, but the earlier the better.

Know what resources are already in your area. If there is one of those food distribution centres for a Walmart or whatever in your area, make note of that now. Rail or ship yards, medical centres, etc. The list for that can be really long, or in my personal case, pretty short.

That’s just a few things off the top of my head. Questions, comments, suggestions, feel free. Again, I’m no expert, and if anyone with knowledge on this subject, please add what you know.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Were I to start searching tractor trailers, immediately following an EMP, I’d be hitting the refrigerated units before the food spoils completely and getting everybody involved, friend or not.
    If for no other reason, that food may get into needy hands instead of spoiling.
    And the bad guys, if they got some may remember me as a square guy later. Might help, may not.

After that, the manifests.
    An interesting thought, I can’t say that I’ve ever read of anyone thinking of that and it’s a different thought.
    I daresay that most companies, if they survive will be filing insurance claims on everything. Especially the refer units.
    The insurance companies will likely go under, so it’s a tough call on who to contact or if. Definitely if.

Theft? Or just using something that will rot/spoil and be ruined if left.
    Morally/ethically, it can be argued from every angle.

More than a couple of days? I would avoid the refer units for the most part, again the spoilage.

First day(s), I’d be gathering my own stuff together.
    Making sure what I have/need/want. Making sure the kids and wife truly understand the new rules:
    Waste not.
    Reduce, reuse, recycle, repeat.

I’m in an unusual situation.
    My wife works in emergency services. (I used to, ex-LE)
    She will be picked up to work, on horseback if needed.
    I’ll likely be put to work by either the local PD or SO. They know what I used to do, and in that situation, it’s gonna be all hands on deck.

Scouting?
    I’d probably hit all the neighbors to see how everybody’s faring, if anybody needs anything and such.
    It’s a fairly close community, very friendly and helpful to all.
    They know what I do, I know what they do.
    Our kids go to school together, and almost everybody preps here.
    (There are advantages to high LDS areas)

For most here, it would be more like a long term snowstorm where the power goes out.
    Just a little more complicated.

Milk, fresh fruit and veggies would be the difficult issues around here.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Red,
    After EMP no stores will be selling, (or very few) because the cash registers will not work nor the scanners or computer inventory. It will take about 15 minute’s standing in lines then it will be a free-for-all.

Personally I will be forced to rob a pharmacy right away due to medical neccesity. I’m certain other here will need to due the same.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Scouting parties will be essential, because no matter how many preps you have stocked, you will run out of something and need to go get something.
    Like 74 mentioned, I’ll be at the pharmacy.
    You can’t plan for everything, so plan to do some serious recon!
    You don’t wanna be at Walmart when the SHTF.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.