Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of legatelanius
    legatelanius
    Survivalist
    member2

I was bored one day, and found that Selco’s experience inspired a video game!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/214036/The_inspirational_stories_behind_This_War_of_Mine.php

legatelanius
    Survivalist
    member2

“It was an article called ‘One Year in Hell’ that first started the team’s obsession with the topic, and after reading many more similar stories via Amnesty International, Miechowski was convinced that their stories needed to be told through the medium of interactive video games.”

They specifically cite it.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Gave me goose bumps.

Ty Selco, your life experience and strength to speak against popular opinions, may very well cause waves of change in the minds of those who find glory in war, instead of the truth we refuse to see.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

They’re trying to make money on selco’s story. I hope they pay selco a big fat commission. The link to his story is on silverdoctor without mention of the author. Selco I hope there is a way for you to go after them.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I would agree. Selco, I hope you can get something from this, or… better yet, call them up and collaborate and get credit. It’s a win win, you enrich the game experience for everyone else’s benefit and you get paid!

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

74 I see your point. :(

Hopefully both partys find a mutually beneficial solution.

On one hand it would be nice to see a new generation interested in SHTF survival, on the other we can’t allow the man who inspired it to be moved into the background.

Maybe there is a way to get the popularity of the video game to somehow reflect or re direct people to SHTFschool.

If they have already mentioned one year in hell as an inspiration, it may very well have already.

Lets keep it cool if anyones on the message boards for youtube or the creators web site. We don’t want to put them on the defensive before Selco has had a chance to digest the info.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I have never cared for or been into video games but if this one encourages the gamers to think about this topic, there may be value in it. I think the typical shoot ‘em up games serve to de-sensitize young people to war and violence, which is not in society’s long term interest.

It would be great to see Selco get proper credit, and hopefully some monetary benefit from this.

Profile photo of Ogre206
    Ogre206
    Survivalist
    member2

as a gamer i can tell you this
    once a company takes a giant **** on there fanbase or does something no one likes
    pirated copies emerge and become popular….not that im encouraging it

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

We have been on this for a few days now. Its simply bad because they actually used exact situations described by Selco in the game. That they dont even give Selco credit for this is ridiculous. As what we do about this I cant comment right now but we do something.

I have zero respect for people like this.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for support folks!

Yea, I feel “ripped off” here. And no respect for this, nobody should support company like this.

legatelanius
    Survivalist
    member2

Just to play Devil’s Advocate, I would like to point out the company is actually encouraging pirating the game because they feel that the message is more important than the profit. They are also donating a portion of the profit to a charity, War Child International, which helps child refugees.

However, I do think they should contact Selco. It would be interesting if they hired him as an advisor to the game.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

The amount they donate will be like .000001% of every dollar.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

If I was the game developer… I would be ravenous to speak with the person whose story my game is based upon. What a foolish move!

You have every right to receive at least credit and a nod to your website!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

We believe they did not contact us because they want the “rights” to this story to release further sequels and simply did not want us to get a cut. Regardless if they encourage piracy or not. It is simply not OK to take someone’s work (and story of their life) profit from it and not even give them credit or part of the proceeds. It is too late for giving Selco credits because they already made their majority of sales but anyway we are on this.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

I just saw this thread after already starting one about this game, oops. If admin will go nuke the other thread that would tidy things up a bit.

I don’t play games much, they waste far too much time. However, this one look intriguing. I have heard that it’s been under development for 2 years.

Here are a couple of trailers:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.