Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hey guys,
    I put a lot of work into creating the forum how it is now and sort of like it but the truth is it has a lot of small parts working together and while I made them work together once, they are pretty resource intensive and it is hard to maintain them and ensuring that updates to different parts dont break the whole system.

In fact they cause a bit problems with the whole website right now so I consider two options now.

1.) Moving the whole forum to a new place, more or less how it is but I can separate the code. The good part is that the achievements and this kind of stuff remains, the bad part is that it is still hard to maintain and because it is already pretty resource intense its hard to add new features.

2.) Moving to a really new but pretty popular and “cutting edge” forum system, for example something like: Discourse (http://www.discourse.org/)

I sort of like the idea because the system would make using the forum a lot better, user friendly because it is really made for that. The downside would be achievements and ranks would be different / reset but I could migrate all the content so nothing in this matter would be lost. All discussions and user accounts would remain.

There are also other achievement systems over there that are actually more sophisticated than this one here. I think we could adjust some of the points manually for users.

I just write this here to hear your opinion. We are about to relaunch the Survival Boot Camp and there are more changes coming to the site in the coming months and we need to “clean up a bit” and optimize the performance. Im a big fan of option number 2 because it future proofs the whole community and adds many more typical community features.

Thoughts?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Jay, if it’s “resource intensive and … hard to maintain” now, I’m guessing that it could only get worse as time goes on. Do what you need to do. I didn’t join to accumulate ranking points and badges, I joined for the discussion, for what I could learn, and occasionally, what I might contribute. Anything else is icing on the cake.

As long as it keeps the basic structure: categories, new topics, replies, ability to link other pages and previous posts, send private messages, etc., we could all learn to rassle the rest of it. Heck, we’re preparing for a lot worse.

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Jay, you are the one doing the hard work behind the scenes and so you should do what you think works best. Thank you for all that you do.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi Jay,
    I agree with LT & MB.you have to do what works the best. Do you think that all the old topics and conversations can be converted/imported into the new system?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Do what you think is best , all I can say is be careful about the ” latest and greatest ” as some people on the forum will not want to upgrade to whatever . I have a laptop running OS 10.6.8 , the reason why I have not gone higher is that beyond snow leopard , Apple decided that your OS needed to big brother you . But I do understand your dilemma .

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

I tried “Seen.is” for our group. Took stuff from a FACEBOOK account. Problem is the site is Hacked to death. If it could fix that problem then I would go back.
    Jay, “Discourse” looks to be a friendly site. I agree with others about following this board because of the content and member discussion.
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Achievements are for real life.
    Discussion and conversation is why we are here.
    Make your life easier.

P.s., phone and tablet friendly is helpful.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Awesome guys! Really happy to hear this. Yes, we will only go for something that can import all users and discussions. We will also probably host it on a subdomain such as talk.shtfschool.com and I will make sure it is tablet and phone friendly. Will get to work on this in the coming days!

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

‘future proofing’… I’m very supportive of this…

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

It should get interesting in the next few months with the china devaluation … so whatever, works for me.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

The fact that you ask the Forum members speaks volumes of how you Jay and Selco treat your subscribers. Most situations like this are “force fed” to everyone.
    Thanks again Jay for you and Selco.
    Robin

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Jay: Thank you for asking. Do as you have to do. Merely because it has always been done a certain way does not mean that is the only way. Ron S

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Jay – thanks for all your efforts. Whatever seems best on your end. Best to put a new system in place that is sustainable in long run particularly in light of finite resource (your time).

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Jay: Appreciate all your efforts. I agree, do what makes your efforts easier. Like others, the achievements are fun, but I’m here to learn. Kudo’s to Selco also. I’ve certainly learned a lot since joining this forum.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Jay, Do what makes your job easier. I am here for one reason too. We have a lot of information on the forum that helps many. We all thank you very much for all the hard work you do for the forum. Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.